engine protector

312d

in a few days I hope, I will install an engine protector it is called VIGIA (watchman), this is an electronic device that monitors engine temperature (head), oil pressure and voltage. It is setted up to give an audible and visual alarm and few seconds later to cut off fuel, stopping the engine preventing catastrophic failures due to overheating and low oil pressure, it doesn't show real live data just three leds showing status. its is cost around USD 380 installed by a technician, I have one in another sprinter with mechanical rotative fuel pump and this device has saved that engine two times in eight years, one due to thermostat and another due to viscous fan clutch failure. Now I want it on the OM611 it has proved its value, saving me a lot of money.
I don't know how this electronic device hasn't been more popular or even copied in other places.
this is the web page

http://www.colven.com.ar/productos.asp?pid=52

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Eduardo
Greetings.
I looked at the attachment and concluded it is much like several units which are on the market including the Sentinel engine protection system:-
https://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_eps/r_eps.html

As for DIY or copying the principal the Iraqi bus operator Rkab Baghdad (who I was seconded to) operated in excess of 1500 double decker buses all with their own design adapted & installed on each unit.

I suppose the best system is one described to me by an Aussie Digger of a truck operator in the Northern Territories & Queensland.
His remedy/modification was to simply re-route the radiator drain/overflow hose to sit just above the throttle/accelerator pedal.
If his drivers ignored an overheat condition, scalding coolant would be directed to the drivers foot with painful results!:lol:
For him it worked too!
Amistades
Dennis

lindenengineering

in a few days I hope, I will install an engine protector it is called VIGIA (watchman), this is an electronic device that monitors engine temperature (head), oil pressure and voltage. It is setted up to give an audible and visual alarm and few seconds later to cut off fuel, stopping the engine preventing catastrophic failures due to overheating and low oil pressure, it doesn't show real live data just three leds showing status. its is cost around USD 380 installed by a technician, I have one in another sprinter with mechanical rotative fuel pump and this device has saved that engine two times in eight years, one due to thermostat and another due to viscous fan clutch failure. Now I want it on the OM611 it has proved its value, saving me a lot of money.
I don't know how this electronic device hasn't been more popular or even copied in other places.
this is the web page

http://www.colven.com.ar/productos.asp?pid=52
Eduardo
Hi
I took some time this evening over my evening cup of English tea (PG tips) to read the "foleto" on the system you kindly posted.
I see its is made in Argentina and I am now very curious as to how much it is say for example in Chilean Pesos or did you buy it in Argentina in their Pesos?
I would like to try one out if its possible to buy it as a kit
There a few a few customers I have who might express interest in such an add on!
Let me know.
Cheers Dennis

lindenengineering

Yes to a certain extent they do, in fact the Sprinter is a passive attempt because its a fleet intended commercial vehicle all to often subject to abuse by employee/drivers.

Going up a step into the bigger world of Class 8 trucks and buses there IS integrated active shut down when engines are abused.

As we see though, the van community would be utterly enraged if the vehicle totally shut down prematurely due to an overheat condition or loss of oil pressure, no matter how well meaning!
It would be a brave manufacturer who would contemplate that introduction to their model range.

It only takes a few minutes to browse through these forums to see not only the total frustration of Sprinter owners trying to fathom out why the van is in limp mode, but also those lambasting the vehicle for the very built in virtues it has! In fact making it a preferred fleet addition when operators (drivers) don't give a lick about the vehicle they are driving!

Nonetheless we see cries for help and advise when there is an expensive catastrophic failure caused by an overlooked sudden overheat or loss of oil pressure which didn't show up on the gauge until it was too late. The most overlooked unit on the cooling system is the level sensor. When defective and if there is a sudden loss of coolant you only have a few minutes to stop before the engine blows gasket or seizes a piston.

Repair costs as we know range from somewhere around $3000 for a gasket way up to $20,000 for a new engine & labor etc if a V6 diesel lets go due to abuse by a driver.
Its for those salient reasons that fleet operators install shut down devices on the fleet to save them from huge and unexpected repair decisions.
As I pointed out Rakab Baghdad had their own shut down devices but nonetheless they spent on average 1,5 million quid per annum on engine repairs due to overheats and losses of oil pressure.
These systems are worth considering when fleet management cost decisions have to be made.
Dennis

icarus

I can state from experince (from hitting a deer and shearing off the oil filer!) that the engine continues to run one enough before warning of low OP to destroy it! After I hit the deer, I drove for a second or two, checking my mirrors to confirm that it was a deer, (it launched out of the ditch!) I drove on for another minute max, probably less before hitting the shoulder. In my memory I never saw a warning light, even though the Rad blew as well as the oil filter. After rebuilding the front end, they started the engine, and it siezed with in a mile or two of test drive.

Insurance covered both the body and the engine damage.

Icarus

Eric Experience

Eduardo.
In Australia we have a sprinter that looses oil pressure and fails rapidly. I made a monitoring kit for oil pressure and arranged for it to be sold for $30. I expected to sell hundreds but only about 10 have been sold and only 2 have been fitted. So there is resistance to this type of product even though the benefits are clear. Eric.

312d

Hello guys, I just came home today from my short trip to Argentina where I was eating a lot of grilled meat and Italian pastas, I just got fatter.
Well besides those, I come here with my new VIGIA installed, the engine head was drilled!!!! to install the temperature sensor, it is placed behind, where the bar code label sits, the drilling has specific measurements provided by the factory. and the oil pressure switch is installed above the turbo oil inlet, discarding the old racor coupler and adding a new one provided by the factory.
Dennis, I paid it in Argentinian pesos ARS $4.230 , that divide by 12.2 and you get USD.
I don't think they will sell you directly as a kit, but maybe as you have more leverage than me you can ask them, the issue is that they sell this guaranteed, not only the device, but also the installation, this little thing have an eeprom memory that saves up to 1200 log entries, with time, date, and event, but you need a special cable and software to log into the memory, it is kind of a service tool.
Eric: my sister also installed a dial oil indicator above the dash, it is absoluletly better than nothing, she haven't pull the trigger on the VIGIA because it is a LOOOOOng trip for her from where she lives.
From what I have heard and seen, whenever you rely on your dashboard instruments, you are lost, they are unreliable or when you see the red bulb, that is just a reminder that you are going to be towed later.

Attachments

312d

I forgot to say that the wiring loom, the oil pressure switch are tailored to each engine specs, the temperature switch is set by software to 107°C or 224,6 °F, but you (the technician) can set any temperature for triggering.

Last edited:

Top Bottom