Any need for mechanics to get into the back of the Sprinter?

HardStart

I have a 2014 144" cargo Sprinter with the factory partition (no pass-thru door) so the only way into the cargo area is via the rear door and side sliding door. I am going to install "puck" style locks on both of those doors, effectively locking the cargo compartment.

I have had tools and material stolen by mechanics and parking attendants in the past so security is very important to me. My question is if there is any normal routine maintenance or other type of mechanical work that would require the technician/mechanic to get into the cargo area?

I didn't see anything, but I am unsure of what is under the factory floor. I've seen fuel pump access under the floor in some vehicles, for example. That would be absolutely horrible because the shelving would have to be removed in order to lift the floor up.

So my question is if I can lock the entire back cargo area when I take the van to the mechanic?

Ivessm

2014 Long/Tall BLACK Pass 4Cyl/7sp
I'm no mechanic but I would guess unless the mechanic has to trace some electrical connections that run through the cargo area or work on the inside of the sliding or rear doors he shouldn't need to get to the back.

Again, I'm no mechanic.

Good luck.

stew

Funny, I brought mine in for emissions and watched them open the slider out of curiousity. Then the idiots couldn't get it to unlatch to close it. I had to bang on the glass to get their attention so they didn't break the handle trying to close it.

sailquik

HardStart,
There is nothing in the cargo compartment that needs to be "serviced".
The slider door mechanisms and the rear door hinges are sometimes lubricated, but
normally not as part of a regular "A" or "B" service.
The fuel pump in the tank cannot be accessed through the cargo compartment floor.
Actually there is nothing that can be accessed through the cargo floor.
Mostly they put the Sprinter up on a rack so they only need to have the driver's side
door open to get to hood release; the MB SDS OBD-II connector; and the ignition switch.
I'm pretty sure that you would not have your tools ripped off at an authorized Mercedes-Benz
Sprinter dealer.
Go elsewhere and you takes your chances.
Hope this helps,
Roger

lindenengineering

To answer this as a shop owner.
Access to the cargo area is basically off limits unless there is actual need to open the area to service tail lights and attend to door locking, etc etc. My staff have to inform me if they have to gain access to the areas in question.

The same goes for glove boxes and other stroage areas within the vehicle. If we have to knowingly remove personal items in glove boxes or remove interior appendages we ask that customers remove such items at the point of vehicle drop off. This is to protect my staff who have found firearms under seats fully cocked and loaded with NO safety on!

That stated anyone caught rifling through customers possessions while the vehicle is in our premises is subject to instant dismissal.

I fired someone instantly once upon a time for doing the very same to vehicles outside the work enviroment area but more specifically within the neighbourhood where he lived. Actually caught red handed by the police and intoxicated I discovered the fact just before he was jaied for the offences in question.

I cannot condone nor tolerate such activities.

This of course does not cover vehciles left outside the premises for work nor collection. As such following most vehicle indemnity practices within the trade coverage nor vigilance does not extend to parked vehicles left outside the secure patio/forecourt area.

Thats my take on this ssue.
Dennis

HardStart

Dennis, you are one of the few good ones.

I too share that same line of thinking. I fired one of my electrician when I saw him touch something on a customer's dresser. I don't believe he was going to steal it, just looking. But that went directly against the policy he agreed to when I hired him, and if I saw him doing it the customer could have seen him as well.

Another question, do the lifts that they use for Sprinters at the Benz dealers have the capacity to lift a loaded van? Or will I have to empty some of the weight out? I assume I have about 1,500lbs of shelving, tools, and material in the back of mine.

chromisdesigns

Dennis, you are one of the few good ones.

I too share that same line of thinking. I fired one of my electrician when I saw him touch something on a customer's dresser. I don't believe he was going to steal it, just looking. But that went directly against the policy he agreed to when I hired him, and if I saw him doing it the customer could have seen him as well.

Another question, do the lifts that they use for Sprinters at the Benz dealers have the capacity to lift a loaded van? Or will I have to empty some of the weight out? I assume I have about 1,500lbs of shelving, tools, and material in the back of mine.
The authorized sprinter service centers should have lifts capable of a fully loaded 3500. The one I take my rig to has no problem hoisting my coach, which is a few hundred pounds under gross with nobody aboard.

wmlog

The cargo area would need to be accessible to troubleshoot interior or rear lighting issues or to change any rear bulbs. Also, the rear doors have to be opened to provide access to the spare tire. there is no access 'through the floor' to anything, except the floor itself.

:thumbup:

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
no self respecting mechanic would steal tools out of your van, thats just bad practice considering we have to buy thousands in tools to do our job. If so they should be beat hard with a bat. Now back to business, I do open all doors at the service intervals to not only clean out the cable track for the sliding door but also clean out the roller guides, lube the latches and guides (with dry lube mind you) and also lube the rear door hinges as required during the A and B level service. Yes sometimes we do have to access the rear cargo area for wiring and light testing/repair. I will admit I have peeked in just to see how my clients have set up there rig. I find it fascinating and educational to see the different ideas for storage and conversions that have been carried out. Believe it or not, you can learn a lot about a person or owner by the condition of the cab and cargo area. :cheers:

Carl

P.S. I know how to shut a latched open sliding door even when the adjustments are off....then I fix it so that you can do it without having to fuss with the issue. Its the little things that really do count.

HardStart

Looking back it may seem like I am stereotyping all mechanics or technicians as being thieves. That's not my intention, of course they are all not thieves, only a very small percent- just like the regular public.

But I have had the bad luck of having been victim to them multiple times, even at a BMW dealership- so it does happen everywhere.

Now it's something that I worry about, so locking the back would put my mind at ease.

K-9 SPRINTER

no self respecting mechanic would steal tools out of your van, thats just bad practice considering we have to buy thousands in tools to do our job. If so they should be beat hard with a bat. Now back to business, I do open all doors at the service intervals to not only clean out the cable track for the sliding door but also clean out the roller guides, lube the latches and guides (with dry lube mind you) and also lube the rear door hinges as required during the A and B level service. Yes sometimes we do have to access the rear cargo area for wiring and light testing/repair. I will admit I have peeked in just to see how my clients have set up there rig. I find it fascinating and educational to see the different ideas for storage and conversions that have been carried out. Believe it or not, you can learn a lot about a person or owner by the condition of the cab and cargo area. :cheers:

Carl

P.S. I know how to shut a latched open sliding door even when the adjustments are off....then I fix it so that you can do it without having to fuss with the issue. Its the little things that really do count.
I can vouch for Carl:thumbup:, he is definitely one of the top sprinter mechanics in the USA . I've driven a few times, 3 1/2 hrs to go to him, for service ,( theres 3 MB sprinter dealerships within 15 miles of my house)

HardStart

Sounds like a great mechanic. MA is a little far for me or else I would go to him too.

I've heard that a local Benz dealer is good, Ray Catena, so I will probably take her there.

lindenengineering

Yes I know of this incident!
I am appalled!
It just reinforces a fellow shop owner's position I have known for 20 plus years who is retiring this year!
When I asked him why early retirement he responded instantly!
"because things have changed & if I don't, I swear will go to jail for murdering some of my staff with this!
Pulling out a Glock hand gun (pistol)!:rolleyes:
Dennis

HardStart

Recently a similar thing happened with a brand-new WRX that the owner took to the dealer for service. The dealer let one of the Service writers take the car to his college class. He claimed that he hit a deer on the way.

The dealer gave the kid a run around until half of the Internet found out about it and started harassing the dealer and Subaru corporate made the dealer replace the car

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Glad to know someone got retribution. I lost my custom Z28 to a dealer back in the 1980s. Corporate backed them up. I've never even thought of owning a GM since.

Top Bottom