Van Styling

RB7

I know you don't buy these vans based on appearance, but the looks do matter some to me. I used to be amazed at just how unattractive the ProMaster is--especially for an Italian vehicle. I hate to admit it now, but I'm starting to get used to the looks. Now I still don't love the appearance, but I am getting used to it, albeit slowly.
What's happening to me is that the Transit just keeps looking worse and worse. It was tolerable at first, but just looks way bad now--even worse than the ProMaster. Especially in the low-roof passenger model.The grille is just too big and the back looks goofy. It looks no taller than the old E-series. Why not just buy an E series? Height is one big reason you buy these Euro style vans.

I think that the ProMaster with a couple of tweaks would look OK. Maybe just some different ways of painting the front end, bumpers and trim. The rear drop axle looks like hell to me, as does the rear barn door hinges. And what's with all the air space around the tires. The wheel wells look empty. The low roof version (with back window?) is the worst looking ProMaster of the bunch, particularly from the back.

It's to the point that I can't imagine paying that kind of money and then (after parking) glancing back and seeing vans that ugly. I hope Chevy or the Japanese make one of these type vans. For now, I think I'll keep driving my T1N. The MBZ, though not beautiful, is still the best styled in my book.

mendonsy

Promaster ranks second on the UGLY list. The new Jeep is worse!! At least Fiat/Chrysler has the ugly market covered.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
When I brought my used 2002 Sprinter home, my kids said that it was the ugliest thing they'd ever seen and would not be caught dead in it. I said, "That's fine. I know that the car thief would not bother it as well."

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The transit will take time to like, if ever. Never liked the '84 econoline.
The promaster could use a better face. It needs a bit more of a smiley grill. Check out the Peugeot Boxer.
Bigger tires would work.
That back axil could be a place for signage. It is so obvious and noticeable, I'd hang my business phone number there.

Zyzzyx

I'm in the same position. I started off thinking the ProMaster was by far the most hideous thing on the road. Now I find myself getting ready to order one.

Agreed with the Transit, the more I see it, and as I see a few on the road, its the one starting to look hideous. The pig snout or bass fish mouth grill just doesn't help it.

I'll admit the Sprinter still has it on the looks department, but for other reasons we're going with the PM.

RB7

Boy, that 2015 Peugeot Boxer does look a lot better than the ProMaster--except maybe in the profile picture. I'd pay $1000. for a Peugeot body kit! Be certain to look up the 2015 Peugeot Boxer--it's got a new upgraded front end. Last year's (2014) looks about the same as our ProMaster.

That's pretty funny about selling signage to advertisers on the ProMaster rear axle. So I'm not the only person to think that the axle is butt-ugly! I might try hanging a rubber skirt behind the axle or from the rear bumper to hide it (and I hope not ruin the airflow under the van).

That was a great description of the Transit--it does look like it has a giant bass mouth! Ford got into this giant grill "big rig" macho look a few years back. The pickups and the last E-series vans all had it. Not sure I like it. I wonder if you pay for it aerodynamically...

RB7

Just found out that Peugeot builds/sells a Ducato-based van called "Manager" in Mexico that has the Peugeot style front end. Might be quite possible to buy the parts over the border and maybe at a reasonable price. Google "Peugeot Manager van" to see it. I also saw a picture of the 2015 Ducato somewhere with an upgraded front end that looks a lot like the Peugeot Boxer front. Maybe we'll see this on our 2016 ProMasters. The dealers have got to be catching flak about the controversial body of the ProMaster. It surely is costing them sales and I'm sure the dealerships are complaining to the factory.

jostalli

Just found out that Peugeot builds/sells a Ducato-based van called "Manager" in Mexico that has the Peugeot style front end. Might be quite possible to buy the parts over the border and maybe at a reasonable price. Google "Peugeot Manager van" to see it. I also saw a picture of the 2015 Ducato somewhere with an upgraded front end that looks a lot like the Peugeot Boxer front. Maybe we'll see this on our 2016 ProMasters. The dealers have got to be catching flak about the controversial body of the ProMaster. It surely is costing them sales and I'm sure the dealerships are complaining to the factory.
Peugeot just has a different grille. That's it. You can buy a Peugeot Boxer grille on eBay. It's a simple swap. Several guys on the promasterforum.com have the Citroen Jumper grille. Attached is a Promaster with the Citroen Jumper grille.

Attachments

RB7

That's a better looking grill. However there is a 2015 model front end that looks even better in my opinion. It looks like it might require the purchase of more than just a grill, however. It doesn't have J-shaped headlights like the 2014 does (and like ProMasters currently do). It's only on the 2015 models.

jostalli

That's a better looking grill. However there is a 2015 model front end that looks even better in my opinion. It looks like it might require the purchase of more than just a grill, however. It doesn't have J-shaped headlights like the 2014 does (and like ProMasters currently do). It's only on the 2015 models.
RB7, in 2014 the Ducato/Boxer/Jumper received a facelift. Are you asking if you can convert a Promaster to the new front end? You are dreaming.

jostalli

What aren't you following? It's a new design. You would need to purchase the entire front end, which is multiple pieces and then fabricate mounting points to make it fit on the Promaster. Maybe $5000 in parts alone.

JimBobMcCobb

Promaster ranks second on the UGLY list. The new Jeep is worse!! At least Fiat/Chrysler has the ugly market covered.
I haven't seen the new Jeep yet, but the Nissan cargo van is the UGLIEST on the road, imho. The proportions are all off. I know a guy who has one and he hates it. Lousy mileage too.

I like the looks of that Peugeot - It kind of looks 'Sci-fi'.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
What idiot had the balls to change the CJ after 75 years. Even the VW tried to keep the beetle looking the same. Anyone at Fiat ever hear of retro?

surlyoldbill

Too big of a change for the American market. Traditionally, Americans are VERY slow to accept product changes, and many little baby-steps have to be taken to get to the original concept, sometimes up to 10 model years with variations. Frustrating for those of us with design sense or industrial design education, which is why we usually buy foreign cars. For the average American consumer, these tall narrow vans will all be "ugly" regardless of the styling, because they are significantly different from the Econolines of the past. That was the initial response by Econoline owners when the Transit was revealed years ago as the replacement. They didn't care AT ALL about the function or improvements, they ONLY talked about the looks, and how they would never buy one; keep their 1999 Econoline forever; switch to Chevy; etc. simply because it was too much of a visual change for them.

The ProRam does look like a gilded antique with those rear doors, totally incongruous with the swept styling of the nose. The flow of the Transit front isn't quite "right" either, a little angular, reminiscent of early 90's blocky cars. The new Sprinter already look like something from decades past, too. I like the electric FedEx vans for styling, maybe they will become available to the public as a hybrid or something. Maybe someone should update Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion with modern construction methods and materials. The thing had wicked low coefficient of drag. Probably get over 40-50mpg with a little I4 in it.

Attachments

Top Bottom