Best miles per gallon?

Jody

Hi

I've owned my sprinter for 5 and a half years now and am quite sad so I'm always seeing what MPG I get.

Loaded up with 2 motorbikes and all the associated crap, 60-65 MPH on a motorway best was 30MPG.

Converted into a camper, carrying one motor bike, 2 pushbikes, surfboards and a summers worth of clothes, 53MPH on Motorways 37MPG !!!!

What is your best ?

lindenengineering

Hi

I've owned my sprinter for 5 and a half years now and am quite sad so I'm always seeing what MPG I get.

Loaded up with 2 motorbikes and all the associated crap, 60-65 MPH on a motorway best was 30MPG.

Converted into a camper, carrying one motor bike, 2 pushbikes, surfboards and a summers worth of clothes, 53MPH on Motorways 37MPG !!!!

What is your best ?
Jody
Much of your figures are going to be "lost" on the US audience section of this web site/forum.

Dare to compare, because the US uses what are Queen Ann gallons whereas the UK uses Victoria gallons-- 1 pint more!

Canada and those blokes Down Under use Kms/litre so again a conversion is needed.

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-mpg-to-mpgimperial.html

Get calculating!:smilewink:
Dennis

surlyoldbill

There are so many different configurations of Sprinter motors that a chart should be made to depict what is "normal" for any given configuration. The I5 used in the North America T1Ns is probably configured differently than the ones used in Europe, same for the subsequent V6s and I4.

On my OM612, the best tank of fuel yielded about 29mpg USG, but average is about 24 USG. A partial fillup showed about 32mpg USG once, coming up CA395 from Bishop to Markleeville over Ebbetts Pass. Although steep climbs and high altitude, I think being limited to 35-45mph for a lot of it contributed to the great MPG. Keeping it under 50mph will result in great MPG, but is tedious driving when the road conditions allow 60-70mph. I'd rather spend a few extra $ and have a few more hours at my destination.

geneowens1

2015, 144, low roof, 2.1 liter engine, - 26.9 miles per us gallon once and lots of mid 20s. Driving 65/70. Head winds can knock it back a lot to low 20s. Pretty happy about it. Paid $2.28 per gallon a couple of days ago when regular unleaded was $1.99.

HardStart

I'll never know my best because I don't use it like that (no long trips). I will say that the last couple fill-ups have been between 21 and 21.5 MPG and that is with only 4,000 miles on the van and the van filled with shelving, tools, and material. It's also with 65% city driving. I have the 2014 with the 4 cylinder and I am amazed at the mileage, I was getting 10-11 MPG in a similarly loaded gas van and that's without the high roof.

But now that gas is so cheap and diesel is still very expensive, I'm not sure if I am ahead or not :frown:

Nothing I can do about it now, so I'll just enjoy the Sprinter :rad:

Markthelark

Hi , I operate a 3.5t 311cdi 2.2 beaver tail car transporter here in UK. I run about 80% at near max weight most of the time , I stick to 60mph and average 32mpg. I do brim to brim checks , with about 2000 miles a week.
I am sure if I kept to 55mph then the mpg would be around 35/36mpg.

32 UK is 26.6 US / 8.83 EU

The only good thing about all the 50mph road works here in UK at the moment is better mpg !

Had a sprinter pass me yesterday on the M6 doing an estimated 80mph , with a car on the back ! Legal speed loaded is 70mph .

Diesel here is a average of £1.12p per litre / $1.72c / 1.52 e - £5.10 UK Gal / £4.24 US Gal ( $6.51 ) Think my calc's are correct ?!

Last edited:

Top Bottom