PDA

View Full Version : Continuing with exorsism, supose....

Austinite
02-14-2015, 04:47 AM
Hi I have a 03 LWB /HR 3500, my question is about what info is needed in order to replace the wiring harness. I'm interested in getting the one that comes from the ECM to the engine compartment. If it's possible could I get the build sheet? Thanks!

Cheers

Manuel

Eric Experience
02-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Manual.
The wiring is all done in one piece and would be very difficult to change. Why do you want to change it. Eric

autostaretx
02-14-2015, 04:12 PM
The parts catalog does call out subsections of the wiring harness as individual part numbers.
For example, the 2003 catalog lists this: (reformatted to fit 900 pixels)

That catalog can be downloaded from here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
The on-line keyed-to-your-VIN catalog would specify which of the three was correct for your Sprinter.

Something i cannot tell you (but others may know) is whether or not that "one part number" includes all of the attached connectors, or whether you have to buy them (and their terminal pins) separately.
Talking to a dealer's parts counter (bring donuts) will get more info, and perhaps one to look at.

--dick

Austinite
02-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Hi Eric, The reasons to replace are: The previous owner had " very bad luck" with the vehicle. The main problem that I've notice is that not even at the dealerships they have competent mechanics. One of the main problems with specially the cargo vans due to chicken tax on behalf of MB they bring the van in pieces, after reassembly some of them they come with electrical glitches, the reasons why some people consider them lemons. Add to the equation, bad technicians that they poke cut and splice with no mercy on the electrical wires!, High resistance, false contact or cooper touching metal, 13 Years of cooking in the engine compartment and rubbing against metal.If I don't replace wire harness she will be acting with a mind on her own. The idea is to have a work horse not a trailer queen. Have found a lot of short circuits so far! After wire harness next in exorcism, O rings.

Cheers

Manuel

lindenengineering
02-15-2015, 12:12 AM
Manuel
Simply change out the harness.
At about $450 its well worth the lack of brain damage trying to wrestle the thing into long life!
We have done it countless times and the job time is 2.5 hours if you have done it before.
Add about 1.5 hours as a first timer.

The challenge is to thread the harness through the inlet manifold which is a chore but plug n play after that.
Best of luck and if you need more help just hollar!
All the best
Dennis