PDA

View Full Version : Does Sprinter MAF Sensor Have a Hot Wire?

FuelSaving
07-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I am feeding Oxy Hydrogen after the air filter and mass air flow (MAF) sensor but before the turbo, but someone warns me in my blog (http://autofuelsaving.com/info/testing-commercial-sl50-oxy-hydrogen-generator-on-dodge-sprinter/#comment-76) that the MAF sensor might have a hot wire that could ignite hydrogen I feed in and cause explosion. I searched about MAF sensor on Google - here is one good source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor - but could not find if the MAF sensor on my 2006 Sprinter has a hot wire.

This is important. If you know anything about it, please let me know. Thanks! So far, no explosion has occurred yet ;-) maybe because I am injecting only a small port of hydrogen and I am injecting after the MAF sensor so that chance of back firing is slim?

sikwan
07-04-2008, 10:17 PM
There's 12V and 5V going to MAF.

FuelSaving
07-05-2008, 01:43 PM
There's 12V and 5V going to MAF.

But that does not mean it is a hot wire sensor, does it? There are three other types: (1) vane meter sensor, (2) coldwire sensor and (3) membrane sensor. Which type does the Sprinter's MAF sensor belong?

sikwan
07-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I believe it's hot wire (heated resistor) as you had suspected.

FuelSaving
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I believe it's hot wire (heated resistor) as you had suspected.

Oh, no!!!

I checked the PDF document you supplied. So the temperature of the heating resistor is maintained at 160 degree C (320F) higher than that of the intake air. That is not red hot, is it?

Do you mean that if for some reason there is a spark in there, then an explosion could occur assuming I have enough hydrogen there? What do you recommend? Where is the best place to feed HHO before the turbo and after MAF?

Aqua Puttana
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
The biggest thing I would worry about is the amount of hydrogen energy really available and if you will be between the LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) and the UEL (Upper Explosive Limit) of your hydrogen mixture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_limit

My opinions: (Worth everything you've paid.)

The MAF thermal unit is not a spark making device as such. It will all depend upon luck whether you're in the explosive range and that you get a ignition source during that time. As a practical matter my money would go toward it being unlikely all those things come together at once. Of course I wouldn't bother with a hydrogen generator personally anyway so I hope this helps.
Oh, no!!!

I checked the PDF document you supplied. So the temperature of the heating resistor is maintained at 160 degree C (320F) higher than that of the intake air. That is not red hot, is it?

Do you mean that if for some reason there is a spark in there, then an explosion could occur assuming I have enough hydrogen there? What do you recommend? Where is the best place to feed HHO before the turbo and after MAF?

FuelSaving
07-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Dick posted this reply to my question on my blog:

On the HHO versus the “hot wire” MAF sensor issue: once the HHO is added to the main airstream, the percentage of hydrogen to -total- oxygen drops way way below the 4% required to be explosive. (at 2000 rpm, the 1 liter per minute of the HHO is about 1/3000th, or 0.03%, of the total volume).

The HHO still -would- be an explosion problem if it were allowed to build up in the intake plumbing with the engine not rotating.

I installed HHO generator in a way that once the engine is shut off, HHO production is shut at the same time. So HHO should have any change to build up unless I use a Joe cell to produce HHO.