Damaged Struts or dealership malarkey?

Hi Everybody, my 2013, 2500 passenger, with 40000 miles has developed a clunking noise coming from under the drivers left foot, its only noticeable at low speeds and when going over bumps. Took it to the dealership and they quickly diagnosed both front struts were damaged and the extended warranty did not cover them, they will replace both of them with oem ones for $1200. So a few questions for you folks: is it normal for both struts to give out this early? (van only has 40000 miles), could it be something else and this expensive purchase wont solve the actual problem? and finally if it does sound as if the struts are damaged should I replace them immediately and is the dealer price for all the work reasonable, they are quoting the struts at $850 and the rest is their labor, $1200 total. Thank you so much in advance

bryan11

Hi Everybody, my 2013, 2500 passenger, with 40000 miles has developed a clunking noise coming from under the drivers left foot, its only noticeable at low speeds and when going over bumps.

Interesting, my 2013 passenger 2500 with 33,000miles had the same issue a month ago. Noise coming from under drivers left foot, only noticeable at low speeds and bumps. They diagnosed bad left strut. Fortunately it was covered under warranty but they only replaced one strut. Haven't noticed any handling problems replacing just the one strut. Seems to ride a bit better too.

My warranty paperwork states cost at $674.13 for only one strut. I think they should replace one strut under extended warranty for you. Stealers.

btw, the cost included alignment afterwards, probably why its a high price (strut Part#906-320-11-33 list price $260.00)

Last edited:

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Hi Everybody, my 2013, 2500 passenger, with 40000 miles has developed a clunking noise coming from under the drivers left foot, its only noticeable at low speeds and when going over bumps. Took it to the dealership and they quickly diagnosed both front struts were damaged and the extended warranty did not cover them, they will replace both of them with oem ones for $1200. So a few questions for you folks: is it normal for both struts to give out this early? (van only has 40000 miles), could it be something else and this expensive purchase wont solve the actual problem? and finally if it does sound as if the struts are damaged should I replace them immediately and is the dealer price for all the work reasonable, they are quoting the struts at $850 and the rest is their labor, $1200 total. Thank you so much in advance
The OEM struts suck.You can get much better struts for a bit over $200 each
http://www.eurocampers.com/Koni-1-Front-Shock-2007--2015-Sprinter-2500_p_999.html

lindenengineering

Might just be anti roll /sway bar bushes or links for that matter!

To DIY find out!
Get someone to slither under the rig with a flashlight and observe the U clamped roll bar bushes held to the K frame by allen bolts.

Open the drivers door to 90 degrees to the body and firmly lift it to induce a body roll. Release and repeat making the rig roll!
If there is any slack in the bush you will hear the knock retort.

New bushes are $65 a pop but this includes new style "pinched" U clamps which squeeze the bush when clamped down.
All from your fwiendly dealer.
Good for finding knocks in front struts too--
Dennis

Sprinter SS

I just heard something like this on my 2012, especially at full turn (almost lock) and backing up over a bump I get a groan. No weird tire wear though...

Top Bottom