Crashed sprinter won't start

Mike5999

Hey guys i have a few questions. My friend has a van that has been crashed and won't start. (Rollover) he doesn't recall if the airbag has been deployed. If it has, won't that cause the van not to start?
I know to check the voltage because that's key for these vans, anything else?
It's an 06 2500.
Thanks
-mike

surlyoldbill

Maybe the SKREEM got knocked out of place?
Also could be a mechanical or sensor thing under the hood.

Crank but not start:
Disconnected/damaged CAM sensor won't allow it to start.
Low fuel pressure in the rail will prevent starting. Multiple sources including bad injector(s), HP fuel pump, fuel rail solenoid, disconnected rail pressure sensor, etc.
Disconnected/bad Crankshaft sensor won't allow it to start (if it DOES crank, does the RPM needle move when trying? If yes, then Crank sensor is sending a signal)
The injectors or other systems require elec connection; they may be disconnected or damaged wiring or blown fuse.

No crank but everything works othewise:
Bad ECU relay or fuse block soldering under steering column will prevent start (won't crank; but elec aux fan at radiator will come on).

pacman_34

Hey guys i have a few questions. My friend has a van that has been crashed and won't start. (Rollover) he doesn't recall if the airbag has been deployed. If it has, won't that cause the van not to start?
I know to check the voltage because that's key for these vans, anything else?
It's an 06 2500.
Thanks
-mike
Blown airbag shouldn't affect it. Does it crank at all? Hook it up to a scanner and see what it says. Off the top of my head I would make sure that the battery is fully charged. I would also try to unplug the mass air flow sensor and see if it starts. I've had alot of crashed vans where the resonator gets cracked and messes up the turbo. Check with a scan tool and see if its getting fuel and check the crank sensor.

... (Rollover) ...
It's an 06 2500.
Thanks
-mike
The Sprinter has a rollover sensor among other crash safety monitors. A Sprinter friendly scan tool that is SRS module capable should help to reveal some information.

Service manual schematic 8w-42-11 documentation proves the existence and shows how the rollover switch relates to the Espar heater controls.

vic

pfflyer

There is a crash sensor that effects the locks that has to be reset with a proper scanner in the event of a crash so I would think there would be some sort of kill switch to. Resetting the locks was in my 02 service manual and I had to point it out to Freightliner to get them to attempt with no luck.

pfflyer

Does the fuel pump shutoff need to be reset? No fuel no start. OP didn't state if van turns over or not but if he is checking the electrical I would assume that it is not turning over. Maybe instead of "rollover" he meant turnover. Either way sounds like proper software needed to reset it.

tinman

Brings to mind an old story. Helicopter pilot phones his boss, "Hey chief, maybe you can help settle an argument between me 'n Harry the mechanic. Helicopter won't start, and I figure it's cause it's upside down, but Harry says it's being ten feet underwater that's the problem."

Good luck.

It would seem odd to me for a rollover switch to be self resetting. Think about it. First roll, fuel off... back upright fuel on... next roll fuel off. :idunno:

It's all guessing without SRS module information. vic

Top Bottom