No crank, no selenoid sound 2004 dudge sprinter elephant

SprinterHelp

2005 Dudge Sprinter 144
FIRST I read as many related threads, but need more input. Read this thread on troubleshooting and sounds closest to my problem.
http://thetruckmechanictoolbox.blogspot.com/2013/01/2005-sprinter-no-crank-no-start.html

2004 DUDGE SPRINTER ELEPHANT

Turn key and starter does not engage, no solenoid click, have not checked relay yet, dark and cold front came in, just north of CHICAGO. Have had slight hesitating when key in start position but always starts.

Here are my possible related facts. Took starter out, tested on starter tester, works perfect, 1 year old replaced with alternator and battery.

Removed IGNITION 15 amp fuse under steering column and when key is in ON position fan runs.

I have a fob that is not programmed and I thought SCREEM maybe stuck after using, however never happened before. I have this FOB on same keyring as programmed good key.

FOB that works had dead batteries, changed them, no help.

Wiring harness endured some rash that threw some sparks/stall 6 months ago, wrapped with gorilla tape, rubbing against steering column joints near starter.

OK, reinstalled starter with jumper to manually engage. Turned key to on and then manually tried to start via jumper..NO START cranking fast like it should. Will check relay and column fuse panel in morning and give harness repair area a look see.
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS, no start error on dash no OBD codes from Scan guage. Just took a month off and need to get back to work.

Anymore ideas, check relay, fuse panel???????? Can I disable SCREEM?, maybe bad ECM??? BAD KEY SWITCH (I guess troublleshoot will tell) :yell:help??

Anyone have diagram of trouble areas on column fuse panel and which relay under seat may be the culprit?:idunno: FOUND DIAGRAMS FOR RELAYS FUSES

T!N

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If key fob was the problem your dash would say "Start Error"
Your ignition relay under seat will always click if working so that is my 1st guess.
If you haven't driven it for 1 month it may be a low battery

SprinterHelp

2005 Dudge Sprinter 144
Put new battery in, just drove 3000 mile trip flawless. Tested relay and when I start, no noise even when in start position, fuel relay clicks and hear pump running. So I pulled relay and opened and its clean as whistle no burnt locations. APPEARS I am getting no signal from the switch???:hmmm:

Wiggled relay no difference, pushed on column fuse panel (does not budge) and pushed on emergency flasher. Nada

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Next best guess is the wire problem shorting or bad ground connection somewhere.
Wiggle connection harness on back of ECU , may be a bad connection

SprinterHelp

2005 Dudge Sprinter 144
Yes Bill I mentioned the harness running near the steering column ujoints ate thru the harness, caused sparks and stalling. Quickly investigated and wrapped up with tape 6 months ago. This is the first major freeze and it just stopped in its tracks. I maintain it well.
I am in need to return to work ASAP and am thinking about a 2007 model until I can get this present problem straightened out. Not to fall off the thread but any input on the 2007 will be thankfull. My 2004 is so dependable and easy to work on...except when its blowing snow and 25 degrees.

Next step: As I stated in the above replies I checked the starter relay and it does not click when I place key in start position nor any position, fuel pump working relay clicking.

So we are at the harness? seems like a pain to replace or am I NOT dreaming.

I am on my last key and the battery did go dead, but I get no start error, so I guess the key is fine.

I am afraid to move the harness in this cold weather in fear of breaking the wires being brittle in the cold.

AND ohh yes I know alot about the repairs I have made but luckily NO ecm problems,
I am thinking I may have had some water that froze and separated a connection.... ha hah I do not want to accept the harness is bad ..but it is.:thinking:

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

If it's a work truck, you're probably better off getting it running and trading it in on a new truck, so you don't have any more down time. Certain tax deductions make buying a new work vehicle pretty affordable. If you're in a position to do it, go down and get a new Transit or Promaster or Sprinter and put fixing your van on hold until it gets warmer outside. Don't try to sell it until it's running. Think of it as a tool; once it's used up, you replace it, like a power saw. You can't make any money with a saw that requires half your time patching it up and replacing worn out parts.

SprinterHelp

2005 Dudge Sprinter 144
SOLVED, God kept me off the roads today so I can live to drive another day!
I ventured the blizzard and jiggled the connections on the ecu, I then disconnected the Scan Guage. ONE of these were the culprit. Started Immediately, Had the scan guage on for almost two years. I DUNNO

Happy again, now I still might get another truck and let someone else drive the 2004. Looking for 2006 170 extended with low low miles. Thanks everyone for the help AGAIN.

SprinterHelp

2005 Dudge Sprinter 144
I paid 2,400 for the van when it blue booked for 9,500 in poor condition. I cant see trading it in when its pure profit and I probably put another 5-6 grand in it in the past three years. I cant see buying a new one, just too much depreciation. I know the 2007 is probllematic, really want a 2010 jsut before the DEF or a 2006 with no miles.

sailquik

SprinterHelp,
Ummmm.... there was no 170" (4325m) wheel base T1N Sprinter....ever.
Longest wheel base T1N (2002-2006) was 158".
Also, all 2010 and later Sprinters have the SCR/DEF systems.
Why would you avoid a Sprinter with a DEF system?
Mine have always worked flawlessly!
All 2007 and later NAS Sprinters have the Diesel Particlate Filter (DPF).
Roger

surlyoldbill

Now while it's running try jiggling the ECU connections and see if it dies. If it does, you've found the problem. If not, try plugging the scangauge back in and see if that kills it.

Top Bottom