Intro & questions

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Off & on lurker for awhile now. Want to say this is a valuable & above the norm. site, much knowledge and info! Very intelligent group and a well run site, Thanks!:rad:
After roughly 1 1/2 years of ownership I am still overwhelmed by this machine. New to Diesel and Mercedes engineering will do that to a person. Its a love/hate relationship. Love the function & design ,hate the mechanical aspect!
Short background- Daily driver and sometime Motorcycle hauler for trips and track days. Btw see a lot of MC riders here.:cheers:
A little over 100.000 miles on it(bought at 83,000) and I am still getting thru the mechanical side of things:bash: I have been introduced to some backward thinking engineering, part EPA, part Mercedes bottom line! I am trying to slowly work thru the inherent faults in this design... just when I thought I was getting somewhere another problem arises.:2cents:
Anyway have a rhythmic surge in the powerband 2500- 2800 rpm. Kicked in right at the end of my LATEST intake leak-replacement resonator (1 yr) failed,Now have an elimanator.

I am in central NJ(I KNOW, Want out!!!)and looking for a reference to a sprinter mechanic(we all are:smirk:) in the area or not near the area! Mechanics here need to have a code to go by,not a real mechanic. Not bashing as these are unique vehicles,but you need to look beyond the answer or lack there of. after SEARCHING I think it is a sensor, or turbo related? Any thoughts?
BTW, own my own detailing business. The primer issue is a whole nuther subject. I have finally met my match after 25 yrs!:drool: Never see anything like it...well except for the late 80;s- early 90's big 3 cars. What a joke...on me:dripsarcasm:
Anyway ,thanks for all your combined Knowledge, you guys :rad:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Surging can be a bad/dirty MAP sensor on the turbo charged air plastic hose holder between the EGR and Intercooler, or bad/dirty MAF sensor between airbox and Turbo. Spray both with MAF sensor cleaner from auto store for a cheap try at resolving it.
Yes, a Scan with a Sprinter diagnostic tool will narrow it down, but until then..

George's Mobile Truck Repairs works on Sprinters, comes to you from Newark NJ , don't know if good
http://truckrepairnewark.com/

Last edited:

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Thanks for the advise ,was going to ask that very question about the cleaning. Ok to spray the IAT sensor too?.
Will pick some up tomorrow.
Will also update on this and finding a mechanic. Appreciate it!

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Tried cleaning the 3 sensors,no change. Did find a BIG piece of debris on the front screen of the MAF, but no change after removing,I figured as much.
Replaced the map sensor(cheap chance at saving mucho $) as a last resort, before committing to a proper mechanic...Far away!
I can now say that the problem is more noticeable , as it sounds like a vacuum leak at low RPMS, it cycles evenly just like it does under boost but without the surge,at a 50% rhythmic interval - off & on.
Going to set up an appointment, just want to give them as much info as I can muster,any thoughts? Thanks

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Forgot to mention that I can hear this from inside the cab while driving.
I have made this sprinter as quiet as can be with sound deadening inside and under also the hood, it is very noticeable with the radio, etc off. Thanks again!

Any debris in the MAF is not a good sign. It should be white glove clean. Check to make certain that your air filter hasn't become unseated. An unseated air filter can do at least two things. First is letting dirt in where you really don't want it. Second could be the filter media moving around and affecting air flow enough that the engine notices.

Check your turbo blades for wear. The outer edges of the blades should be very straight. If they show any irregularity then it could be worn from abrasive dirty air. Worn turbo blades can affect performance.

A small slit or leak in a charge air system hose has also been known to cause surging.

Good luck. vic

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
I think the debris was that clear crap they cover an engine in when a dealership sells a vehicle.
This to make it look new!, they went to town on this engine.,still everywhere a 1 1/2 years later.
It was very flaky and came right off. The rest off the MAF was very clean. Pretty sure this was what it was. May have got in there when the filter was changed the first time(or this time)I had it serviced. Just had a second filter put in on this go round.
I have all new hoses and shows no boost loss codes on the last computer check,was there because of LHM due to a leak(resonator).
Will let the experts take it on from this point. My thoughts are that is turbo related. Thanks!

Will let the experts take it on from this point. My thoughts are that is turbo related. Thanks!
That's a good view. Often the mechanics like to first replace the turbo to get that off the list. At least it appears that you're prepared for that diagnosis.

vic

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Well not "really" prepared for that. LOL
Took a look at the turbo vanes today -perfect. Free play is next to naught.Hose from aie box was clean. I have a turbo car(SVO) & a turbo MC(BUSA) and the end / free play is much tighter on the sprinter than any other turbo I have ever seen, as in good. I did note however that the vanes freewheeled with no resistance at all as if the intake / exhaust sides were not connected. See where I am going here.... It has been years since I checked one and thought there should be some / more resistance? What's the general rule as to this? TIA

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Would not display page. Really looking for a quick thought as to the impeller wheel,another words if this sounds normal.
Busa was actually set up for touring and longevity. 2002 Turboed at 23,000(2005) with stock comp.(no loss down low-100HP@ 5000RPM) at 5.5 PSI.INTERCOOLED=.3 PSI pressure drop loss through the IC). Now at 51,000+ and does not miss a beat,short of MANY rear tires. 221 rear wheel HP 139 FTLB'S TORQUE! 800 mile day 2 -up with luggage,many 4-500+ mile days.
Anyway... ,besides the many sensors how about a fuel issue causing the surge- as in HP fuel pump or related? BOOST REG? Thinking out loud again, before off to the executioner.

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Thanks Norton ,that was what I was looking for. Hopefully I can cross another potential possibility(expensive) off the list. That is a great site and came across it here, prior to you pointing it out again. Even saved it previously in my favorites. Wow was that filter 200,000 mile original or what!
Wanted to mention also that I got the "surge " reference from here while doing a search. I used that as a reference to my problem. To me it is more an initial cut-out /hesitation followed by re-engagement ,if that makes any sense? Then it is just a repetitive(rhythmic) cycle if you keep feeding the throttle. The more I learn the less I know.

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Hi there,
Have a quick check of the actuator rod on the vac turbo actuator. These can get 'sticky' and it maybe it has some roughness on its stroke. You may need to use a hand pumped vac generator like the Mytivac and a torch to get the full picture, or take off the small circlip to the turbo vane arm and push/pull it once disconnected. Usually a good scrape-down and liberal spray of the rod with a good lubricant will rectify the problem. Though I have had one in the past with an internal return spring issue that had to be junked because it caught/baulked along its linear stroke. Its well worth a go if you haven't looked already.

All the best
Steve

Last edited:

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Re: Intro & questions ; UPDATE

Thanks Steve for the latest thought, ended up bringing it to TLC in Long Island NY for a proper look. I did have them lube the acc. arm while they had it. Problem turned out to be a holed Intercooler :bash:. They diagnosed it quickly, but had trouble finding the hole at first, had to remove grille, etc. Great experience with them, highly recommended :thumbup:
Now in the process of healing my Sprinter Love / Hate relationship :hugs: ,
after this latest go round. Thanks to the forum for its referral section and Vast Knowledge. :cheers:

Re: Intro & questions ; UPDATE

Now in the process of healing my Sprinter Love / Hate relationship :hugs: ,
after this latest go round. Thanks to the forum for its referral section and Vast Knowledge. :cheers:
Keep in mind that your problem was really a simple mechanical failure. Credit goes to TLC for narrowing down to the actual issue. :thumbup::thumbup:

It's not always easy to drill down to the real problem. Reading the forum can be upsetting in that people with problems often post because they are in need of help. Many Sprinter owners never even realize that Sprinter-source and other help exists.

My T1N has been very reliable. My thought is that body deterioration will be the downfall rather than drive train failure. With 279,000 miles on the clock I don't hesitate to run to Florida and other distances from N.F., NY.

:2cents: vic

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Wish I could agree with you, as my goal for purchasing was to drive across country(still plan too). I have not listed my issues over the 1 1/2 of ownership, lets just say that it's the most ,by a longshot ,EXPENSIVE vehicle I have even owned. It is what it is?.... That said in you're referring to the finish, It is far and away the worst finish(used lightly)I have ever come across(25 yr. detailing business), bar none! Yeah the 80's big 3 paint was an abomination, to say the least. But at least the primer would hold up as longs a conventional finish. This insidious Benz metal prep and single stage paint is the worst ever ,and is criminal in its very nature. Every time I turn around RUST starting from inside out. I have met my match and the some! I brought mine back from the dead and people think it is new - little do they know. I have more time in this finish than I have in all of my vehicles ever owed to date. Based on the finish alone I would have never purchased it ,in hindsight. H-ll ,after coming to this site after purchase, I avoided coming back for months as it was overwhelming the chronic nature of mechanical issues dealt with. I have been on many boards, mostly MC and this site is plaqued with MULTIPLE vehicle issues. My bikes are BULLETPROOF, never stranded(kow) and no mechanical issues. Around 120,000 trouble free miles combined. This from bikes that cost roughly 10,000$ each! I am still paying this Sprinter off and the repairs alone have taken their toll on the rest of my life. I am married to this to the end, one way or another. When it works it is the only vehicle of this type to own, it is amazing! My concerns are based on my experience. Hence the LOVE/HATE! I could ramble on, but that is a glimpse / scratch surface(pun) of my brief- eye opening experience. I did at one point make a personal vow (long ago)to never own a Mercedes, base on detailing for a private Mercedes shop. Technically it is not a badged Mercedes, but it is! NEVER EVER - SAY NEVER!
What say you?

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Hi again,

So glad they sorted the issue quickly for you, only seen that problem once and it was a hairline crack in side tank, boost was fine until you really pushed it to the limit (crack opened up I suppose) then Limp home.

I cannot comment more on your own experiences, problems and issues with the Sprinter it sounds a rough ride.

Regarding Sprinter problems and reading the forum's tales of woe - From experience I have found since the rise in popularity of the internet it is a great place for information, probably the best resource we will have at our disposal. Remembering that not everything that is written is 100 percent factual, sometimes its written to offend (Just look at Facebook for the ultimate tool in the bullies arsenal) sometimes to blow off steam, release frustration and other times it is used as a reporting tool. Rarely do people write just for the hell of it!

If you take most model specific forums and club pages you will always see faults reported - in volumes. Just take all this in and use it as that great reporting tool, assimilate the information and make your own calculated decisions based on your personal interpretation of what you read. Don't follow the herd!

Use that formula and you won't go wrong. I agree it can be depressing, reading continually of peoples problems, but a high percentage of them are common issues - whether it is Ford, Jaguar, Porsche and GM or others, not just limited to Mercedes. In general its mostly the same for any vehicle (or product, look at cameras, Hi-Fi, and push bikes to name a few, even motorbikes don't escape it...virtually everything) its my view that people nearly always feel compelled to air their views to vent frustrations and disappointment when it all goes wrong. Sad but true.

I am sure I am not telling you anything you don't know already, but how often have you bought a product because it fits the bill, is of the quality and price you want to pay and does what it says on the tin - only to find that through reading peoples dissatisfaction about the item, you become dissatisfied yourself.. Human nature I suppose.

To sum, up fight it! - Its not all bad and certainly the information shared about a problem gives us a heads-up when and if we ever need a solution or to explore a cure.

I personally enjoy to read it, I embrace peoples accounts of issues and problems, because in my game like many others - knowledge is power. :cheers:

All the best
Steve

Last edited:

3TURBOS

2004 Dodge 140wb pass.
Agree with everything you said. I peruse forums for the same reason, to learn and stay informed. No one wants to be a Sprinter fan more than myself. Before purchase I was open to a vehicle that was more costly to own & maintain than others,I was just hoping I might get lucky(LOL) and bypass most of that. I also know that this has been a learning experience unlike any other. I have had numerous overlapping problems that have muddied the repair process. But my biggest concern, the one that prompted this thread, is the lack of qualified mechanics and shops to work on it. Did not see this coming before buying. I will be the first to jump on here and praise the sprinter when its justly due, but so far I can only share my honest observations up to now. Hoping the future is mostly smooth sailing, heck the past 3 days it has been a pleasure to drive with a modicum of comfort. We all, as a collective ,do not like uncertainty in our moving forward with our goals.

Top Bottom