Me thinks I have RSN, but does it matter?

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
So when I am coasting down from 30mph to 10-15mph, then slow accelerate again, I hear a mild rumbling from the tranny. popping it to a lower gear, or dabbing the accelerator to put in a lower gear fixes the problem.

So is this rumble strip noise?

It's not a big deal to me - can I leave it? Will it cause damage? I just have way too many things to do, to stop and yank off the tranny pan, etc. etc.

shortshort

Dis member
sounds like it. I fixed mine with the Dr. A trick at about 200k. Still no trans issues. Probably doesn't do any harm.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Right, thanks for the info.

I should have mentioned. The van is newish to me, 160k mi on it. New trans fluid about 2k mi ago (just before I bought it).

I searched for RSN and got a lot of hits, but I could not find anything talking about the negative impacts if left as is.

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
My 118" SHC is starting to have minor RSN signs. I've worried about possible damage. It's very annoying because my 158" 3500SHC is so smooth and silky when it shifts. I'm going to do the DR A fix. Thank you DR a for providing the Sprinter community with your vast knowledge.

MikeP

Hi, We have had our 03 140" Passenger Model since new that has what I think is RSN. Just by what has been described on board and when newer bought question up with dealership with suggestion to just monitor problem.
Usually just around 15 to little around 20mph like sound/vibration all together. Kinda odd it's not a constant happening by it's not doing it every time we go anywhere. Kinda hit and miss on when it happens, notice mostly on certain areas of our normal travel route around here. Often if just let off or give more acceleration it's gone til next time. We have got little more than 44K miles now, so hope it don't/has not hurt anything.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Same description at mine. It has happened always on the same road. That is because that is where I do 15/20mph. Happens only first thing in the morning, 1/4 mile from startup. Doesn't happen if I take other routes because I don't hit a stop sign until about a mile from home. So it seems to be only a warm up issue for me.

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Always had it. Noticed it more when I first got the Sprinter & was trying for max. MPG. Now that I drive it "Like I stole it" don't notice it much anymore. It seems to be that light touch on the accelerator that brings it out. Apparently (from what I have read here) does no damage. Forgoing the Dr. A. fix as I hear it slightly reduces you MPG.

BlackHawk

It should be noted that the correct transmission fluid is critical. My '05 had minor RSN when I bought the van, I immediately changed the 60k old fluid and refilled with the"correct" Amsoil fill. Shifted harder and the RSN was unbearable. Dumped the fluid after a couple days and refilled with the correct mopar fluid, all better, no RSN. I'm not bashing Amsoil, (I'm a Amsoil dealer!) I'm just making the point that correct fluid is critical.
I did the Dr A mod this last fluid change since RSN appeared when cold after the fluid got a bunch of miles on it. The result is silky smooth shifts, zero RSN, with a trade off of about a 1/2 mpg.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
All those descriptions of RSN match my experience as well. I looked at the receipt and the PO did the trans change with the proper Mopar trans fluid 2000mi ago.

Since it can wait, I will fix the RSN at a later time. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
You bet. Perhaps in the fall, when things calm down, I will do the RSN, trans fluid and also the electronic conductor plate and O ring seals on the trans computer connector plug.

Top Bottom