Big Foam Blocks...

Iverj

Howdy,

I know I have seen something in the forum on this but can't seem to find it.

What are the big rigid black foam blocks on the ceiling behind the driver and passenger heads for? Can they be removed and trashed or are they important for some reason? How do I remove them?

Thanks,

Nelson

sailquik

Iverj,
They are supposed to be safety related.
No one seems to know if they are there to "stiffen" the roof, damp out some sound, or as outrageous as it sounds, provide a soft area for driver's/passenger's to hit if the Sprinter is involved in a roller over type accident.
Yes, they can be removed.....would you like an extra set of them?
To remove them some folks just rip them out which breaks off the mounting area where it goes behind the sheet metal.
To remove them without damage, simply unscrew the front head liner (not too hard...3 or 4 screws on each forward corner) then allow the headliner to drop at the back.
It's been a long time, so if your van has the "B" pillar covers, you may want to loosen then up as well. Again 3 or 4 screws (the one at the top is inside/under the coat hook).
Then wiggle the big black foam parts until the drop out.
Done!
Roger

pfflyer

I think they are to stiffen the headliner not the roof or as any soundproofing. If you hit that foam in a rollover the seat belts are not doing their job but could see MB installing it to please the lawyers. I also have one that was a PITA when I re-installed the headliner by myself.

wmlog

Nobody really seams to know what they are for ... but at least one customizer leaves them in and installs walls and ceilings around them ...

People who could know, or should know, don't!

:idunno:

glasseye

I believe they're there to prevent injury should you bump your head on the sharp edges of the partition-mounting provisions. I had to chisel mine out :bash: in order to access those mounting points when I installed Frito's bulkhead.

K-9 SPRINTER

I doubt they are put in for structural or safety issues. If they were , the authorized MB upfitters would NOT be allowed to remove them

K-9 SPRINTER

Unless they obtain a waiver if they install a bulkhead or something similar at those locations. :professor:
they don't install bulkheads or something similar at those locations:professor:

..... And..... do you really think MB would give ANYBODY a waiver to remove a safety device (if that what the foam blocks are)and open themselves up to liability claim:professor:

Last edited:

SurfLJ

Do I need to remove these styrofoam thingies to get a wire that I ran along the top wire chase from the backup camera I am installing down to the floor area and then over to the radio in the dash?

sailquik

You can take them out completely!
Most of us have.
No one at MB USA/MB Sprinter USA/Daimler Vans USA LLC Engineering seems to be able to tell us what their actual function
is, so we've simply loosened the front headliner and pulled them out.
Would you like another set of them?
Roger

SurfLJ

Thank you Roger, but I think one set is enough. It is kinda amazing that no one can understand why they are there.
But more importantly, do they need to be at least temporarily removed so we can fish our wires down to floor level?
Thank you.

pfflyer

Thank you Roger, but I think one set is enough. It is kinda amazing that no one can understand why they are there.
But more importantly, do they need to be at least temporarily removed so we can fish our wires down to floor level?
Thank you.
I don't think you do. If you do not much holding them in if I remember correctly.

sailquik

SurfLJ,
You should be able to run your back up camera wire in the black plastic conduit that runs behind the big foam block on the LH side and then remove the
"B" pillar plastic cover and run down the "B" pillar or remove the headliner/"A" pillar cover (s) and run the wire forward and down the "A" pillar.
What a hassle......this is exactly why I buy the factory back up camera. It works well and no hassles!
Roger

pfflyer

Be careful removing the B pillar around the seatbelt retractor. Could be a hassle getting back together but finally a good write-up on how it all goes back together. Search B pillar.

SurfLJ

Be careful removing the B pillar around the seatbelt retractor. Could be a hassle getting back together but finally a good write-up on how it all goes back together. Search B pillar.
Did the search but couldn't find what you are referring to specifically. Would you be able to link the post?
Thank you!

sleeper bird

i use wireless,works well so far.Took it off my chevy van and used it on my sprinter been over a year and no issues.

Top Bottom