T1n vs. N3

boyscout

For those of you who have had both, would you go back to the T1N. I have been looking for a clean T1N for a while that i thought was worth the asking price as per the over all shape of the vehicle, with only one miss on my part. I have now found a 2011 that i really like but am some what reluctant of the mechanical complexity of the thing. Though realizing that newer is often better.

So for those of you who have had both do you wish you would have stuck with the T1N?

FWIW… i seriously considering a 2011 MB 170 cargo with 112,000. Anything i need a heads up on before purchase?

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Our 2014 NC3 I4 is vastly more refined than our 2004 T1N. The safety package alone is worth the upgrade. Plus, the I4 is just a dream. I would certainly not go back.

surlyoldbill

I think the Dark Years of the NCV3 are over, the I4 appears to be a good and economical engine, nearly as good as the T1N, and the cab and chassis are more refined, as mentioned.

Sprinter SS

I have had both, 2003 and a 2012. Both bought new and self maintained to a T. I now have 61k miles on my 12 model and not so much as a light bulb out. My 03 was quite good but did have the transmission O ring leak and wastegate actuator go out early in life. As much as the NCV3 gets a bad rap I really like the refinement, brakes, power and ergos. I did like the slightly smaller width and feel the old T1 had. I like the cargo area a bit better on the new van, but I ordered it with the cargo rails up the wall and double sliding doors so it fits my needs better. Not sure why they put the D-rings on the floor though!
I am using Mobil 1 0w-30 in my van now and I honestly get the same mileage with my 6 as i did on my 5. A solid 22mpg.

Eric Experience

Boyscout.
I have both and prefer the tin for going into remote areas where reliability is vital. The later model is quieter but gives more trouble and therefore more stress. Eric.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
The TN1 rides rougher, more noisier, cannot change the radio to a double din without extreme modifications, and steering wheel is just in the wrong position. It was alright but after going through a 2008 for 5 years then just getting a new 2014, I'm completely happy with the newer models.

boyscout

Thank you everyone for your insight. I drove the 2011 yesterday and was very impressed overall with the package as a whole. I live in Dallas Fort Worth area and am buying a one owner/ repeat buyer van (if i can talk myself into it).

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I have an 05 and a 10, TiN is by far the best of the two, I wish I had bought 2 back in 2005. Fast forward to 2015, I would take a look at the Transit and Promaster if I were looking, and not even consider a Sprinter.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
I have an 05 and a 10, TiN is by far the best of the two, I wish I had bought 2 back in 2005. Fast forward to 2015, I would take a look at the Transit and Promaster if I were looking, and not even consider a Sprinter.
When my 2014 wears out in about 4 to 5 years, I will seriously look at the Promaster and Transit. At this time, it's too early to tell how things are working out but with time, I'm sure they will improve on them immensely.

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
The MPG is crap on a Promaster! The t1n was based on mid to late 90's technology, reason for lacking quietness and smoothness. For the money you can't go wrong, but the I4 sounds like a good option if you have the cash, I'm waiting for a redesign. I need 30 MPG at 70 MPH w/ cruise activated. I think that is a doable request :)

Nate

I've currently got a 2004. Bought it new.
But, I'm this close ] [ to pulling the trigger on a 2015.

I like the emmisions simplicty compared to the 2004, but i crave the creature comforts of the 2015.:idunno:

And this thread has made my decision that much harder.

flman

The MPG is crap on a Promaster! The t1n was based on mid to late 90's technology, reason for lacking quietness and smoothness. For the money you can't go wrong, but the I4 sounds like a good option if you have the cash, I'm waiting for a redesign. I need 30 MPG at 70 MPH w/ cruise activated. I think that is a doable request :)
For me it is a lot cheaper to pay at the pump, vs van down for 2 weeks, waiting for a part in Germany to be shipped, dealers 100 miles away, mega repair invoices, scrambling with a van down. Do the math.

OTOH the Sprinter wont be using any fuel at the dealer.

jostalli

Crap how? The diesel Promaster will get you just under 30MPG at 70mph. If MPG is your top priority the diesel Promaster cannot be beat.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
My 2004 has 673k, still going strong, but it is rusting out pretty bad. So sooner or later I will need to replace it. I am looking around and if I find a Texas t1n somewhere at a good price (no rust) I will jump on it, just because of my experience with my t1n. Yes, I rode in a ncv3, they are bigger and quieter, but I have experience with the t1n and I can pretty much fix anything on it myself. Haven't needed to take mine to a dealer, or shop since many moons ago when it was still under warranty.

Speaking about Promasters and Transits, as of now, I ain't interested. They are still too new to know how reliable they are. Promasters are butt ugly, so, no way am I paying money for one. Transits are not quite as good looking as Sprinters, but they are more manageable.

Another thing to consider is diesel vs gas. These small gas engines that they put in Promasters and Transits just don't cut it for me. They just don't produce that low rpm torque that I just love. I love going up Mount Eagle here in TN with 2000 lbs of freight in the back and the Sprinter just purrs going up the hill, not even flinching. Only thing you notice is the nice turbo whine. Promasters and 3.7 l normally aspirated Transits are so wimpy, that they need to downshift every little hill they see. Heck, the promaster that one of my friends is driving downshifts even for a headwind. Another friend of mine drove a Transit with the 3.7 and it was even worse. Straight road, just trying to accelerate from 55 to 65 mph it had to downshift. I don't know anybody yet with an EcoBoost equipped Transit, diesel Transit or diesel Promaster.

Call me crazy if you want, but I love Mercedes and I love diesel. So for now, my first choice is another T1N for reliability and fuel economy, and my second choice is a Sprinter with the 4 banger. My overall fuel economy in my t1n is a little better than 26 mpg, which cost me on average a mere $0.12 for every mile driven. No gas van comes anywhere close. (BTW, I kept records how many gallons, price, and miles for every fillup, so that is how I came up with these numbers).

Just for kicks, the other day I compared my cost per mile with my friends cost per mile in his promaster (I get 26 mpg, he gets 17). So, even if diesel would be $1 a gallon more than gas, (usually it is about only $0.6), my cost per mile is still about a penny less than his.

flman

Well Ciprian, I have to agree an older T1N pre-nonsense diesel is the way to go. No sense in driving an NCV3 with your fingers crossed. I wish I had bought more T1Ns before 2007. I used to love diesel as well, but all that garbage that ruins the reliability and longevity of the newer ones is a total turn off. Some one needs to crack the code so we can strip the modern diesels down to a basic reliable machine again.

flman

But wouldn't a 2008 with the gde tune and dpf delete and swirl motor turned off be a really nice truck?
Yup it sure would, I have a 2010 so I am stuck with all that crap for now.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I don't mean to be obnoxious, but you do realize that "all that crap" is helping to keep your kids and grandkids healthy, right? I agree that it is not (yet) overly elegant and that it costs us some money. But it will improve, just as it did with gasoline engines. We need to go through the process. If it weren't for all that crap (and its industrial equivalent, which we ALSO pay for), our cities would be like Beijing.

sailquik

draaronr,
Yes, a 2008 Sprinter OM-642 3.0 liter V6 with a GDE Tune/DPF delete/swirl motor turned off would be a really nice truck.
But a well maintained (with the correct maintenance fluids/parts) 2008 Sprinter OM-642 3.0 liter V6 with all those emissions devices still working as designed is also a really nice truck, and in my experience, just as reliable.
The tuned/deleted/turned off emissions device Sprinter is only quasi legal under US EPA or CARB regulations.
The well maintained truck is totally legal under those same regulations.
I have not owned a 2008, but have had absolutely perfect reliability with 2010/2011/2012 NCV3 OM-642's and now a 2014 I4 OM-651 with all the required emissions devices working perfectly.
Not sure how the tuning and deleting improves the reliability and "really nice-ness" of trucks with absolutely no issues from the OEM tune and emissions devices.
As Avanti/Pete suggests, if the devices lower air pollution levels, perhaps, in the longer term, bigger picture, reducing or eliminating
air pollution is a goal we all need to embrace.
Roger

Last edited:

draaronr

draaronr,
Yes, a 2008 Sprinter OM-642 3.0 liter V6 with a GDE Tune/DPF delete/swirl motor turned off would be a really nice truck.
But a well maintained (with the correct maintenance fluids/parts) 2008 Sprinter OM-642 3.0 liter V6 with all those emissions devices still working as designed is also a really nice truck, and in my experience, just as reliable.
The tuned/deleted/turned off emissions device Sprinter is only quasi legal under US EPA or CARB regulations.
The well maintained truck is totally legal under those same regulations.
I have not owned a 2008, but have had absolutely perfect reliability with 2010/2011/2012 NCV3 OM-642's and now a 2014 I4 OM-651 with all the required emissions devices working perfectly.
Not sure how the tuning and deleting improves the reliability and "really nice-ness" of trucks with absolutely no issues from the OEM tune and emissions devices.
As Avanti/Pete suggests, if the devices lower air pollution levels, perhaps, in the longer term, bigger picture, reducing or eliminating
air pollution is a goal we all need to embrace.
Roger

I thought the swirl motor was a common fault and expensive to fix?

Top Bottom