Snow Tires??

denovo

Hi All,

I bit the bullet, bought a 2500 144 and am now learning everything Sprinter. Coming from an Outback, I about had a heart attack driving my Sprinter with stock tires over Vail Pass in a snow storm. After searching this forum I inquired about the Nokians at the tire shop and was told they are no longer available. Even though I live in the banana belt of Fort Collins, I'm leaning toward studded Hankook i-Pikes. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.1010tires.com/tires/Revie...+Winter+i-Pike

Thanks much!
Krista

david_42

You might want to do some research into studless traction tires. Although studs were the go-to for a long time, advances in rubber composition and tread design have resulted in studdless tires that outperform studded tires under all conditions.

jkd159

I can't speak to david_42's assertion that studdless tires can outperform studded tires, but I do have experience with studded tires. I also drove a Subaru wagon for a decade before going to a Sprinter. Like Krista, I had a very scary time in my Sprinter the moment any sort of winter conditions appeared. So now I'm running with Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip Studded tires in the winter. They improve things quite a bit. Though it is comparing apples and oranges, I would say that my Sprinter with studded tires outperforms my Subaru when it had mostly worn all-season tires. The Subaru with newer all-season tires would outperform the Sprinter with studs. And the Subaru with non-studded snow tires would outperform everything else on the road :)

The biggest hassle for me was finding a second set of steel wheels to mount the studded tires. I don't believe in mounting and balancing tires twice a year. The garage fees really add up over time, and eventually even a careful mechanic (which may be an oxymoron) will damage the bead on one of your tires.

derekhski

Welcome to the Forum Krista...... You noted the tire shop said Nokian's are no longer available. I think that they no longer sell them. Nokian still sells a specific Winter for Vans of weight, 119 - 120 rated tire. That said, I think if you scout the internet you can find some good tires of winter that are weight rated to the sprinter. Check Tire rack, their search window you can set to only E rated tires, and then go to your local shops and ask them what they can get you?
Second, the sprinter is an Albatross in comparison to the Subaru like Chickidee. The sprinter will require more skills of the driver versus the Subaru that holds its own even when captained by the inexperienced...... I would recommend a little vacant parking lot time doing cookies going both forwards and backwards, and finding your Zen with the Van..... (tire rack is a great resource, but I would urge you to buy local (IMO) good luck, and welcome to the cult.... Derek

sandrak

I just bought Nokian studded Hakapelita LT tires for my 2500 144. Research indicated that these are the best studded snow tires, and they performed brilliantly for me in snow and ice the past three weeks in Eastern Oregon. The cost for four was about $1,000, and I had to wait a few days to get them, since they weren't in stock. I bought them at the tire factory.

One thing of note: they feel weird when not on Wintery roads. We got a "Pineapple Express" of 50 degree weather a few weeks back, and I noticed that they aren't as good in rain as my regular all-season traction tires. But once it snowed, they were great. I goosed the gas a few times to try to induce a slide on ice, but they grabbed solid and wouldn't break traction.

Not sure why you couldn't get these Nokian's where you are, but they definitely still make and sell them. Ask for the LT, since that is for the Sprinter.

beaker

I'm running a set of the Hankook i-Pikes with studs because I got them at an unbeatable price. They replaced a set of Hakkapeliittas that had worn out. The Hankooks appear to have slightly larger grooves and a somewhat more aggressive tread. They do well from a forward propulsion perspective in deep snow. My impression is that Hakkapeliittas had a more pliable rubber compound that worked better on ice and on the packed down snow that you see on highways. I can't comment of differences in how much they wear yet, but I had no complaints with the Nokians. The Hankooks are good, but when I retire them, I'm going to return to Nokians, as I feel they are better for my needs.

derekhski

Nokian has a new Commercial Grade Snow tire,

From their Website, both a 15" for us with Old T1N, and 16" for the newer sprinters.

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-c3/false/

The new Nokian Hakkapeliitta C3 studded tire makes life easier for heavy duty professionals. These durable studded tires can master harsh winter conditions; in addition to the balanced winter grip that is synonymous with the Hakkapeliitta brand, it offers stable handling for professional drivers

Gotta love google.... thanks for the reviews, for the other members that ride these.

Kentsvan

I am interested in a tire that doesn't have studs because my van is my DD and nearly 100% of that driving is on pavement. Yet, on the weekend I am up on the mountain. What tires without studs do people find awesome? I was considering something like a BFG All Terrain, had those on my pickup and went everywhere, but it was also 4x4.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I am interested in a tire that doesn't have studs because my van is my DD and nearly 100% of that driving is on pavement. Yet, on the weekend I am up on the mountain. What tires without studs do people find awesome? I was considering something like a BFG All Terrain, had those on my pickup and went everywhere, but it was also 4x4.
Nokian WR Cargo is great for hwy and snow and I have used them but got only 3 seasons on them thru winter, but the good thing is they are approved for summer use too when the tread is low they can be all season use
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wr-c-cargo/

derekhski

Kent, I'm running the Goodyear Wangler Duratrac for all seasons. Like that they are snow flake rated. Only have seen one winter (2014) and held up great in my opinion (no studs). Used for driving two and from Ski Hill. Have not been to the hill yet this year, just a poor season so far, and not motivated. Will see how they handle after some 10,000 miles of Pave'
I would say that they are not an ice tire, snow the grip great. I have not driven them in any really icy circumstances...

Derek

fmxman156

Hi guys, I have a 2014 170" crew with stock continentals and no weight in back and I have to drive very carefully as of far, I could get stuck on flat/ice packed snow. Tomorrow i'm getting a set of the General atimax artic winter tires 245/75-16. Supposed to be as good or better then Blazzaks. I'm also planning on adding 500lbs of sand because its my daily drive. Every time i've taken it to Colorado ski resorts, parking lots give me nightmares and city street parking. more info to come tom night when I take it around and try to get it stuck, haha.

GunntuckySmooth

02 FL 2500SHC 140
Bridgestone Blizzaks are amazing on Sprinters. We ran them on our UPS sprinters here in Gunnison/Lake City/Crested Butte. Unstoppable until the snow was deep enough to hit the bumper. Great control on the snow packed roads we drive on for four months of the year.

Kentsvan

How is the road noise? And yes the snow sucks this year. Made two trips because I am itching to ski but it is horrid.

denovo

You all have been very helpful… and now have me entirely uncertain as to which tires I should purchase. The i-Pikes would likely be adequate but I'm leaning back toward hunting down some Hakkapeliittas while now also considering the Blizzaks, which were the other recommendation from the shop I went to. Like Kentsvan, most of my driving is on dry roads but I need traction when I head to the snowy mountains. Did I mention I got stuck on a ski trip and bought cables to drive back over the pass? Studs can't be nearly as noisy (and inconvenient) as cables.

Another question re: the Hakkas- I was told I need the LT 245/75 (not an option on the link you posted). Huh?

Just give me the Holy Grail of Sprinter tires already… and snow please.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Studs can't be nearly as noisy (and inconvenient) as cables.
Another question re: the Hakkas- I was told I need the LT 245/75 (not an option on the link you posted). Huh? Just give me the Holy Grail of Sprinter tires already… and snow please.
You only need LT245/75R16Es if you are subject to DOT safety inspections in your jurisdiction and it is the only size listed on your tire placard near your seat/door. Otherwise LT235/75R16s E are perfect if you get 4. Studs are not as noisy and inconvenient as cables, but not all States allow them. Studs only are helpful for ice and black ice roads.

It's your decision, we don't know if money is no object or not, or how your area roads are maintained, there is no holy grail for all. As for snow, you can come take mine !

Attachments

Last edited:

Jaime72

Couldn't be happier than with the Blizzak DMV1. Lived in Vail before moving to Alaska, know Vail Pass quite well! Worked for the Ambulance service there, lots of time on that I70 corridor.

Pulled a two-place snowmachine trailer with a 144" 2500 up and over THE Thompson Pass in Valdez with a storm that dropped 2m in 3 days with hurricane winds and drifting snow. Handled great.

I run the Blizzak in the 245 size for stock clearance in the wheel well. I run a 265 BFG AT ko in the Summer. Can't speak to other tires, but I sure love mine!

FYI - I've run the Hakka studded tires on Outbacks, Land Rovers, Toyota Tundra's before. The Hakka studded is an amazing studded tire. I just like the Blizzak WAY more.

Last edited:

derekhski

How is the road noise? And yes the snow sucks this year. Made two trips because I am itching to ski but it is horrid.
Kent, My old little T1n is pretty noisy from the seals and door jams... I don't notice all the much road noise from the tires. Had basic Hwy tires before, and honestly I didn't notice much difference moving to the Duratracs. I can't state that I have the best hearing.....

fmxman156

UPDATE: HI guys, well i got my new set of General atimax artic winter tires. WOW! They are the answer to my prayers. I will not be afraid to stop in 4-6" of snow anymore. The thing just plows forward now, like you think a 5500 pound vehicle would.... Tires bought and mounted for $660. Best money i will ever spend on my sprinter for sure. I had some great guys a big bear tire in wisconsin give me some great advice and said these tires are just as good as blizzaks but cost less. I'm pretty happy right now to actually completely be in love with my sprinter. Hope this helps guys

170" crew, no weight in back.

Last edited:

sailquik

fmxman156:
What year model is your 170" crew?
Is it a 2500 USA (316/319 Euro series depending on engine/trans configuration)?
Is your van the standard length or the extended?
Are these the tires you purchased?
General Altimax Arctic LT
LT245/75R16 120/116Q E BSW 04568530000 30.5 46.4 80 9.8 (7.0) 6.5 - 7.5 3085 2755 16 681 yes 130
or
http://tiny.cc/u01lsx
I take it you bought a set of 4 tires/mounted/balanced for $660?
Looks like a good deal.....the tires have all the right ratings, so let us know how they last.
Roger

Top Bottom