Headlamps on all the time

Rell

Hi, wondered if anyone can help on the following:
Sprinter 511 2008 twin rear wheel.
Headlamps,side lights and rear lights come on and stay on as soon as the ignition switch is turned on even when the the main light switch is in the off position and the engine is not running. Also the 'light out warning lamp' is illuminated on the dashboard. I have disconnected each of the front headlamps in turn and the rear light clusters in turn but it does take the lights out so do not think its a short on the light units. Occasionally the lights will go out for a second or two when driving but come back on. Any help/advise appreciated. Thanks.

Rell

Thanks, there is no option for daytime running lights - with the 'lamp out warning light illuminated' and this problem has just appeared it has to be a fault some where.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Sprinters don't have an 'option', they are just running lights all the time. To turn them off, you need to pull fuses.
The lamp out warning is likely a lamp out. I don't think it would be related to DRL.

Rell

Sorry I may have mislead the forum. The van is Uk based and should have the option of turning off/on the side lights and headlights. As I said previously its only this last week it has brought this problem up. Thanks

G

Gordon Smith

On my 2007, pulling fuses does not work (to disable DRLs). I had to have dealership, with computer, turn the lights out via reprogramming.

atulin

On my 2007, pulling fuses does not work (to disable DRLs). I had to have dealership, with computer, turn the lights out via reprogramming.
If you have the steering wheel buttons you can turn it on and off (us model) but without that I think you have to take it to the dealer.

G

Gordon Smith

Unfortunately, no steering wheel buttons on mine. Cost $71 to have the dealer do the reprogram. Now every bit of surplus alternator juice goes into recharging the three onboard batteries, rather than lighting up like a christmas tree.

G

Gordon Smith

Instructions for turning off the lights may be in your owner's manual (if you have the steering wheel buttons), elsewise search "daytime running lights" on this forum. Lots of prior discussion about this option. Sorry for the lack of particulars.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Sorry I may have mislead the forum. The van is Uk based and should have the option of turning off/on the side lights and headlights. As I said previously its only this last week it has brought this problem up. Thanks
Hi Rell,

I'll try and get your post back on topic :thumbup:

I'm going to hazard a guess that a relay has stuck closed. The current for the lights does not go through the multi-function switch but will be controlled by a relay somewhere in one of the fuse boxes.
I'm going to guess that your Sprinter is an NCV3 as it's a 2008 so can't offer any help where. Maybe someone else can offer help here?
Have a look in your fuseboxes for a lighting relay and try pulling it and then turning the ignition on and see what happens. I don't recommend pulling the relay with the ignition already on in case you 'spike' anything.

Keith.

psalm66

I have a 2010 in the USA without steering wheel buttons. My headlights came in the default "always on" position. I turned them off using the two buttons near the instrument panel in front of the steering wheel and associated "menu". Just scrolled through the menu and followed the prompts. :thumbup:

Top Bottom