Rear auxiliary heater trouble. Please help.

RM4MORE

I have a 2010 sprinter 2500 with the v14 rear heating package I.

Have not been driving it much last few weeks. Cold weather finally hit us hard here. Went to start the vehicle and battery is stone dead. Not so much as a dash light would come on. Figured battery finally gave it up. Purchased new battery today and installed, no problem.

Vehicle cranked immediately. Thought, problem solved....until I turned the engine off. Rear auxiliary heater interior blower fan still running. Uh oh. :idunno: Continued running for an hour while I pulled every fuse in the manual that even mentioned heater or blower. Nothing turned it off until I disconnected the battery.

I suspect a control module malfunction but don't want to start guessing at parts etc.

Also, last winter the blower stopped working on the higher speeds and would only work on low. Had a couple instances where a huge cloud of white smoke that smelled like un burnt diesel fuel blew out under where the rear heater sets behind / under the driver seat.

Today the blower is running on high or close to high speed.

It's all jacked up..

Anyone else have any ideas or a been there done that story to share?

Thanks!

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Sound to me like the unit is in purge mode!
If the controller senses a flame out, say thermo couple fault, then the controller goes to full speed to clear the combustion chamber .
Once the system has cooled it may fault lock out or try a restart.
My first thoughts are that its a controller issue. There is a software diagnostic package dealers have to pin point the issue.
Do you have a shop manual with the rig, its fairly fault failure comprehensive.
Dennis

Top Bottom