PDA

View Full Version : Fiamma Carry Bike DJ200?

avid
06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
This is my first post here. I am the proud new owner of an 2007 Airstream Interstate which I purchased one month ago. This forum is incredibly helpful. I was totally dumbfounded by the third LED on the A/C-REST switch. Thanks to this forum I now know it's a Heat Boost. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure that out.

I want to hang a couple of mountain bikes on the back of Saphira which is what we call our Interstate. (Named after the Dragon in Eragon) I found this rack built for vans with two back doors and specifically the MB Sprinter.
http://www.caravanadditions.co.uk/acatalog/fiamma_bikerack_van2.jpg
Since they aren't sold in the US I am going to pay a considerable sum to get one here. I am wondering if anyone else out there has installed one of these on their Sprinter? Fiamma calls them screw free except the need security screws. :shifty: George Carlin would have gone after that contradiction.

More info on the DJ200 (http://www.caravanadditions.co.uk/acatalog/Van_Bike_Racks.html)

TIA

avid
Ashland, OR

sikwan
06-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Avid, any reason why you want this particular rack?

Since I already have a dirt bike hitch carrier and a roof mounted bicycle rack, I didn't want to spend an extra $150+ for a bicycle hitch rack.

Spent $3.00 on some bolts, nuts, washers. Drilled some holes and I got this...

I just remove the bolts if I want to use it for the dirt bike.

It doesn't answer your question, but maybe you can find a cheaper alternative. :idunno:

avid
06-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Seek,

Wow, that is waaay cool. :rad: I too have Yakima roof rack. It looks like the "Seek rack" would even clear my Continental Tire kit. Do you feel like the bikes get hit with any wind? Another great piece of information from Sprinter-Forum. Thanks for that!

avid
Ashland, OR

cedarsanctum
06-25-2008, 03:59 AM
I have seen one of those on a Sprinter, and considered it until i put together a hitch mount carrier similar to sikwan's slick device.
Does your van have a hitch receiver? There's a few that mount into those that cost less, and truly are screw free, and there's some of them that cost more. You get what you pay for.

Jef

avid
06-25-2008, 04:06 AM
I have seen one of those on a Sprinter, and considered it until i put together a hitch mount carrier similar to sikwan's slick device.
Does your van have a hitch receiver? There's a few that mount into those that cost less, and truly are screw free, and there's some of them that cost more. You get what you pay for.

Jef

Jef,

The Interstate comes with a Class III 2" hitch. The major issue is the continental tire kit which is 12" from the center of the hitch pin to the back of the spare. My other concerns were with a)wind hitting the bikes and b) then causing drag on the Sprinter. If neither of those are a problem then I may be off on a new tangent.

Thanks

avid
Ashland, OR

sikwan
06-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Do you feel like the bikes get hit with any wind?

There's hardly any noticeable wind buffeting the bikes. I think the bikes would get hit more if it was on the roof.

I do look back there on occasions because it's just my normal paranoid self checking to see if my contraption is still there and not on someone else's hood. I still did that when the rack was on the roof.

Jef is right though. I would try to get something that mounts on the hitch rather than on the door.

bikergar
06-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I apologize if I'm taking this thread off track.

SicWan

What is the easiest way to access your bikes with a roof rack?

BikerGar

sikwan
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM
What is the easiest way to access your bikes with a roof rack?

Sorry if I made everyone think that I had the rack on the roof. I never did for the Sprinter. I had it on my other vehicle. I can't imagine ever putting anything up there, but that doesn't mean no one has tried...

AVL's Ladder on the rear door...
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3624

Motobueno's two tone gray Sprinter with a ladder on the driver's side. I think he can walk on his.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3577

cedarsanctum
06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Jef,

The Interstate comes with a Class III 2" hitch. The major issue is the continental tire kit which is 12" from the center of the hitch pin to the back of the spare. My other concerns were with a)wind hitting the bikes and b) then causing drag on the Sprinter. If neither of those are a problem then I may be off on a new tangent.

Thanks

avid
Ashland, OR

If you have a continental kit, the Fiamma won't work. They hold the bikes in the same position, across the back, as mine and sikwan's, and doesn't come out far enough to clear the spare.
The wind resistance is very insignificant, and would be the same with the Fiamma.
Look for a Yakima or Thule rack, both have extensions to clear spare tire on the back and will fit right into you hitch receiver. The better models swing away for access to the doors, a very nice feature. Spend the extra for that.

Jef