Towing

Mercedes_Chad

If I have a 4600lb boat that I tow from Texas to New Hampshire. Should I buy a 1 ton or a 3/4 ton? It eill be a cargo van 170E that I will customize. Any help would be great

ColoradoTom

What else will you be using the van for? At the minimum you will need to get the towing package, the factory package is cheaper in the long run if you can order the van with it, I would.

sailquik

Mercedes Chad,
If you get the 170" wheelbase, extended, (170 E in your terminology) it makes no difference in towing capacity.
All the "E" (for extended rear) Sprinter vans are 5,000 lb. max. towing weight with a 500 lb. limit on the tongue
weight.
The 3500 (516/519 series) with Dual Rear Wheels (DRW) will prove to be a far more stable towing platform.
If I were going to tow close to the 5,000 lb. towing weight limit, as you are asking about, I would opt for the higher
rated 170" high top/short back (I.E. NOT the extended rear).
It works extremely well and the towing capacity is 50% greater @ 7,500 lb./750 lbs. tongue weight.
The extra length is nice, but it diminishes the structural integrity of the rear section of the Sprinter body,
Roger

LetsGo

If you choose the factory tow hitch, I don't believe you can opt for the extended bumper step which we find very useful. We had Hitchmaster install an aftermarket that extends the hitch flush with the extended step. Also, with the backup camera, it's an easy one person job to line up your connection quickly every time. Attached is a pic prior to our buildout. What a difference windows made!

Attachments

Top Bottom