PDA

View Full Version : Any Sprinters In Canada?

BULBASOR
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
BULBASOR is heading up to Canada in a few weeks. He is supposed to show us Victoria Island and Port Hardy. I was wondering what shape the road is in to Saint Josef's Trail? (I have not ridden the ferry from Port Angeles since I was a kid).

We all have our passports but I'm going to grab an extra two dozen dough-nuts at Voodoos when we pass through Wash. just in case I need to bribe the border agent.

Will the provincial parks let us stay the night or are they going to chase us out everywhere we go?

maxextz
06-23-2008, 08:21 PM
:popcorn:

BULBASOR
06-24-2008, 12:03 AM
So - I go looking for people in Canada but at least the software capital of Europe is still out there!

Hey Max,

So where is Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah! and the Hater of Spark Plugs and Mr. coyote and Josh and OrioN and Mr. erickson and all the rest of those Canada travelers ? ?

Don't worry guys - I'm not going to show up at your driveway looking for a place to sleep - I just want to know if the campgrounds in Canada are going to let me just pull in an camp like they do here in AMERICA - or if they will turn me away because I got no reservations.

sikwan
06-24-2008, 12:42 AM
The road to Port Angeles was ok for us when we were there in 2006.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460&highlight=victoria

In the Canadian side, Victoria Island, I was surprised that driver's actually stop and let people, waiting at crosswalks, cross. :smirk: No such thing on the US side.

jdcaples
06-24-2008, 01:46 AM
So where <snip> the Hater of Spark Plugs <snip> and all the rest of those Canada travelers ? ?

While it's true that I live a few hours' drive from the border, I rarely go to Canada.

The few times I've been in British Columbia, I stayed in downtown Vancouver.

I've never made the time to camp up the Canada, so I'm of little help for ya about the reservations etc.

-Jon

BULBASOR
06-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Last time I was in Vancouver I stayed at the Sheraton Wall Center. I remember the Canada people were real nice when I came but the US people were real mean when i came back. Oh well.

HEY SEEK! Is that FROSTBACK guy still around? Did you have a good trip?

BULBASOR says we need to go way way north to a place called PORT HARDY.

(They got diesel up there, right?)

Jrmorgan
06-24-2008, 03:06 AM
The road to Port Angeles was ok for us when we were there in 2006.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460&highlight=victoria

In the Canadian side, Victoria Island, I was surprised that driver's actually stop and let people waiting at crosswalks cross. :smirk: No such thing on the US side.

OK I'm a Canadian living in California. 29 years worth!!!! I have applied for citizenship, been waiting 2 years so far. Anyway in Canada when a pedestrian points his/her finger at a cross walk. They are double yellow lines across the road. Its the law, you have to stop!!!! Not like here in California which has the same law, drivers will blow by you not knowing the law. I have seen many times in west L.A. where they cops do a sting operation, their officers in plain clothes walk across a pedestrian crosswalk, a car goes roaring though and another cop nails them. In Canada when a pedestrian points his/her finger you better stop, you will get nailed! And yes there are Sprinters in Canada..

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

BULBASOR
06-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Great . . BULBASOR promises to not eat any Canadian pedestrians, (he prefers deer and dinosaur meat anyway), So, Anyone know anything about camping on Victoria Island?

sikwan
06-24-2008, 03:29 AM
HEY SEEK! Is that FROSTBACK guy still around? Did you have a good trip?
)

I don't know about Frostback. You'll have to PM him to see if he's still around or even have a Sprinter.

We had a great trip, although it was a short stay. We only stayed in and around the city. The ferry was an experience in itself. I was a total newb when it came to that.

Altered Sprinter
06-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Great . . BULBASOR promises to not eat any Canadian pedestrians, (he prefers deer and dinosaur meat anyway), So, Anyone know anything about camping on Victoria Island?
Welcome Bulbasor
We have furry fuzzy relatives up there too
Where do you want to park white mans reservations or Indian reservation:D:
Richard

BULBASOR
06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I am Viking - so very white and slow - but wife is Scrailing - so very smart and tricky - I get taken advantage of by the Scrailings (wife and daughter) just like my Danish ancectors were.

Can't get a break.

Better go Indian - (Scrailings).

SprintED
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Victoria Island????? Never heard of it...perhaps it is one of those little ones in that soup of islands out there.

As far as Vancouver Island is concerned...we looked at going there a few summers ago and from what we could see, provincial park campgrounds there fill up fast with reservations but should you show up and there is an open space...you are good to go. The only problem with "just showing up" is you are kind of stuck on the island and would have to be creative with finding a place to park it for the night. (Walmart perhaps?)

The high cost of travel these days could work for you or against you....Less Americans traveling BUT more Canadians not going far from home and spending the summer in their back yard.

Can't comment about the road or Port Hardy...but I am pretty sure you will find diesel where ever you go.

Ed

Altered Sprinter
06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Victoria Island or Victoria the capital of Vancouver Island
Now why would Bulbasor want to park on a mud flat between Middle st and Rue Middle! Unless hes planning on the crossing Portage Bridge to down town Ottawa Ontario
Trust me Vancouver island you'll never forget it. but it's very expensive take food :(
Richard 8381

OrioN
06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Geez... can't a guy work on his conversion and not be missed for 6 hrs!

Curently being a BC'er, and having been to VANCOUVER Island more than once, you can rest assured that all roads to all towns are excellent. With a few exceptions, and I would like you to go to Bamfield for the 'experience' (a real gem), even the dirt logging roads are excellent to travel on.

And, considering the Island is not primitive of late, in fact it's nothing more than the world's second largest tree farm (next to the rest of the mainland BC), that the thousands of logging trucks have made sure deisel is prolific.

If you look, there are many free camping areas courtesy of the Crown and logging companies off the beaten path....

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Sorry OrioN I figured you were busy but I knew your were up there so I could not resist invoking the magic word. I was very impressed with the number of provincial camping spots across "VANCOUVER" island (you must forgive this Yank - I was in the CITY of Vancouver just last year and I keep mixing the city names with the provinces) - and I know I'll catch hell for spouting incantations raising AZTEC from the dead too - he's gonna be annoyed with me.

Altered Sprinter and SprintED are trying to find Victoria Island and they think I am going to make a wrong turn - maybe so - cause BULBASOR'S GPS does not have software for Canada - and if BULBASOR eats any of Jrmorgan's friends walking the crosswalks I it's gonna take less than a wrong turn to get BULBASOR chased by 'Mounties'.

Anyway,

There were SO MANY camps on the maps I saw and I HATE to make reservations because I never really know where I will e from one night to the next. If I show up somewhere and the camps are all full will I get in trouble hiding in a Wal-Mart or supermarket parking lot? Do they have rest areas up there? We only camp at night to sleep - that's it - the rest of the time we like to be on the move - sightseeing and stuff.

Is my "American Gypsy Boondocker" style going to work on Vancouver Island? You say the logging companies might let me park the night?

(Oh, P.S. I will go to Bamfield or any other place you think I should see - )

AzteK
06-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Im here! AND IM STEAMING MAAAD! ... :eek: :lol:

And I have no idea on the camp situation. No time for camping sadly, I love to camp :cry:
Lately camp grounds are packed WAY to fast, you need to book in winter to get a good spot! Then leave like 10 days early to beat all the rest of Canada going to the bush to drink beer!

I live in Alberta, and have only driving through a small portion of British Columbia to pick up holiday trailers as a past job (BOOORING) Sorry im no help on the Vancouver scene there mate! Im sure there isnt any problems. But like you are gunna do, once you get over to Canada, get like 4 dozen double doubles from tim hortons, and loads of donuts to keep all the police happy, and off your tail! :cheers: :lol:

AzteK
06-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Goto google maps, type in Victoria , zoom out or in a bit. I read your taking a ferry in from Port-Angeles? Well, the map shows the ferry "ride" from PA to Victoria. Victoria Island is the island just off NW B.C. Looks expensive :)

cedarsanctum
06-25-2008, 03:53 AM
Our experiences with Provincial Parks in Canada have always been great. Much nicer than most state parks in the US. We never had a problem finding a place to stay, but it does depend on the time of year. There is a nice one about an hour north of Victoria, easy to make it to after the ferry ride.

Check out Coombs, North of Nanaimo, and place called 'Goats on the Roof'. Very Unique.

Jef

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I think Sikwan got in that way too - and that's how my dad got on the island with his travel trailer when i was a kid - that's all i remember except the coca cola bottle had French writing on the back.

So - let's say I show up at some provincial camp and they are full? And I drive to the next one and the next? Eventually I'm going to end up at some all night diner and I'll go in to buy a cup of coffee and go back to BULBASOR to drink the coffee "Uh, make that to go please - I'm gonna drink it in my van before I go, thanks"

And then I'll just take 7 or 8 hours to drink the coffee - that's all - and I'll do it with my eye's closed, maybe in a reclined position - nothing wrong with that, right?

Canadians are not going to roust me are they?

Do they have truck stops in Canada on Vancouver Island?

Sorry I said the magic words (Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah) :bow: did not mean to wake the 'spirits of the yellow skull' but like I told OrioN I was getting scared and did not know where to turn. :popcorn:

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Check out Coombs, North of Nanaimo, and place called 'Goats on the Roof'. Very Unique.

Hmmm - I missed your post Mr. sanctum, but I'm glad to hear that you like the parks. I guess if the parks won't let me in I can stop and sleep during the day. (I have done that before going cross country) get so tired after driving all night that you crash somewhere at 11AM and sleep until five.

rvdriverca
06-25-2008, 04:14 AM
buy your fuel in the USA before you come to Canada. Diesel where I live is $1.44 a liter x3.79 = $5.45 us gallon or $0.50 a gallon more than WA. state.:thinking:

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 04:18 AM
Whoa, that's like San Diego prices . . thanks.

AzteK
06-25-2008, 04:26 AM
:) I need to make a bumper sticker of my avatar. Sadly its not MINE, but that record label kicks ass :)

As soon as I saw you say "Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah" I knew exactly who you were refering to, its like my batman air symbol!

But if you are going to come into Canada during a weekend or a long weekend without a camp spot booked your gunna be pressed to find one with a vacant spot for sure. Truck stops huh? Any gas station off a highway is one! Heck a diner will be fine. No one gets mad in Canada! We are the country of niceness..who do you think invented carebears?! Thats right, a drunk Canadian! :lol:

Spend it the way you gotta spend it, just have fun while spending it!

Altered Sprinter
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I was more worried about BULBASOR making the wrong U turn and ending up camping on the tidal flats of Victoria Island, wrong Island anyways. Still good for catechizing a local crab "YUK"

AZTEC
don't invoke the care bears..They bite:lol:

rvdriverca
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
BULBASOR. Be sure you make reservations for the ferry to go to the Island AND back you could be waiting a day without them. You can do this on line, with a credit card, and the cost is like $15 cdn. A sprinter is a over height vehicle. pm me if yo need help.

http://www.bcferries.com/res/

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Yaah , like I really want the spirits of A Dark Year to come haunt me because I woke Da Lords Of Illusions. I don't think so. MC Jerky knows about the dark side of the Care Bears (so does Richard).

Hey - I'm married to a Scrailing - I have already had the voodoo used on me before and let me tell you it's not pleasant. I'll pass on the magic incantations raising the Care Bears from the dead and Hardcore Viruses and stuff.

Too scary for me - just looking for a place to sleep . .
Oh - what to do, what to do ?

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey SEEK! :eek: rvdriverca says I need reservations to get on the ferry!

Which ferry carried you and your Sprinter to Canada? Did you have reservations? Did it take a long time?

I am going to pm rv driver I plan to get to the bottom of this!

(I f i don't - BULBASOR could end up in the bottom of Juan de Fuca's Strait! :eek:

BULBASOR CAN'T SWIM! :thumbdown: :cry: :rolleyes:

jdcaples
06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
This might come in handy:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/wave2go/

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/faq/index.cfm

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/visitors_center/index.cfm?fuseaction=tourist_info&tourist_option=tourist_canada

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Mr. Spark Plug Hater already thinks I read too much science fiction - and he is right. Because jd made comment on my wild ideas and in light of the fact that BULBASOR is afraid of the water (he can't swim), I want to let you in on a secret:

Sometimes at night when I am trying to get to sleep and my mind is tied up thinking about daily problems, I imagine BULBASOR having a WATER LEVER on the dash where I can just pull that lever and drive him right into the water! :eek: and he zips along on the water at 40 miles per hour just like a ski boat. :laughing: Pretty stupid, huh? :bash:

Imagine all the places I could explore around Wimby Island and Catalina and Vancouver and Coronado and santa Barbara and Lake Havasu and Florida Keys and maybe even Hawaii.

I know - it sounds stupid :crazy: but it makes me go right to sleep.

jdcaples
06-25-2008, 04:26 PM
If Speed Racer could push a button, have his cockpit covered by bulletproof glass and drive the Mach 5 under water, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to imagine yourself driving an on-demand, amphibious BULBASOR... or better yet, imagine that BULBASOR could transform into something better than Capt Nemo's Nautilus.

With today's technology, you could probably take BULBASOR Two Hundred Twenty Thousand Leagues Under (the surface of )the Sea.

-Jon

BULBASOR
06-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Maybe Richard the AlteredSprinter will make a picture of a amphibious Sprinter for us for inspiration.

We could all get together and do a movie about it - ADVENTURES WITH BULBASOR - THE SWIMMING SPRINTER VAN! and maybe we could get Daimler to pay for the movie production and we could all make millions of dollars on the screenplay.

I say we get Hulk Hogan to play Aztec - and Mel Gibson to play Altered Sprinter and I guess Sean Connery can play max and for me I would recommend Steve Martin (like THE JERK Steve Martin) and who plays seek? And what about Dr A? Who plays Dr A?

Anyway - the movie would be a big box office buster and make billions of dollars and BULBASOR would be a big movie star and we could all get rich. :clapping:

cedarsanctum
06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Definitely get a reservation for the ferry from BC ferries. And plan on being there several hours early to board, both directions. Riding the ferry is all about waiting.

Jef