You'd think the dealer would have checked this ...

Goliath

On a hunch the other day, I checked Goliath's tire pressure and to my great surprise it pegged my gauge really hard. I'm guessing there was way over 80psi in both front and rear tires. Do they come this way from Germany? Or did the dealer do this?

I let enough air out to bring the cold temperature psi down to 47 front and 70 rear, per the door label. We've gone on a few day trips since, and the difference is AMAZING! Small potholes no longer hit me right in the kidneys. Washboard dirt roads no longer make my fillings fall out. My wife feels the same way.

The Sprinter drove pretty well before but we assumed that since it was truck-like this jostling was expected. I've already had two dome lights burn out (I replaced them with LEDs - very nice) on a three month old vehicle; I'll bet the others last a lot longer now. Our mysterious door, roof, and panel rattles have all mostly disappeared.

Perhaps I'm sounding over the top; but really it is an amazing difference. It was as if we'd been driving around on solid rubber tires since we got it from the dealer. I guess tire pressure is not on their customer delivery checklist. :bash:

Wow. I'm now an even happier Sprinter owner. :D:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
If you have a tire pressure monitoring system, reset it. My TPSM went off at my last tire rotation which was my only clue they didn't adjust the pressures to match the door sticker. Resetting it will help you keep 'em set properly.

Just curious: which lights burned out and what brand model of LED fixture did you install? I lost the one over the slider and the one over the rear doors after 4 months and just replaced 'em last week.

I have the Freightliner checklist somewhere, if you're really curious.

-Jon

Last edited:

unimog

Jon how do I reset the pressure alarm to match the door sticker> Mine is set for 70 psi all around

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
No one does tire pressures properly. Everywhere I have gone has always been the same. I will only tell them to a specific psi if they need to empty it, or rotate.

Get a digital tire pressure reader as well, or a good "stop watch" type. The stick type (if thats what you use) are very inacurate, and for a few dollars more, you can get a decent digital. Just my 2c.

Goliath

If you have a tire pressure monitoring system, reset it. My TPSM went off at my last tire rotation which was my only clue they didn't adjust the pressures to match the door sticker. Resetting it will help you keep 'em set properly.

Just curious: which lights burned out and what brand model of LED fixture did you install? I lost the one over the slider and the one over the rear doors after 4 months and just replaced 'em last week.

I have the Freightliner checklist somewhere, if you're really curious.

-Jon
Thanks for the tip on the TPM. I didn't reset it after letting the air out to see what it would do. I drove it all the way around our very long block and I thought it wasn't going to complain about the missing 30psi, but right before I pulled back into the driveway the tire pressure light lit up.

As for the burned out dome lights, there are five dome light modules in our passenger van: one for the driver/co-pilot, one over each bench and one for the cargo area in back. On mine the light for the first bench and for the cargo area went out.

I replaced them with the model 4210-xWHP6 from superbrightleds.com. It's description is "High Power 6-LED Festoon bulb - Warm White - 3100K 42mm". They were 14.95 each. I know I could buy a lot of incandescants for that price, but I like LEDs. The brightness and color are pretty much the same as the 15 watt bulbs they replaced.

HPfestoons_ww.jpg

Link to superbrightleds.com auto bulb listing

Goliath

No one does tire pressures properly. Everywhere I have gone has always been the same. I will only tell them to a specific psi if they need to empty it, or rotate.

Get a digital tire pressure reader as well, or a good "stop watch" type. The stick type (if thats what you use) are very inacurate, and for a few dollars more, you can get a decent digital. Just my 2c.
I do have a "stop watch" type but it only goes to 60psi. So I am looking for one that goes higher. Any recommendations? Are electronic ones pricey?

Thanks, Nathan

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thanks, Nathan!

I appreciate the part numbers and pictures.

Aztek: That's the first time Discount Tire (tires.com) messed up. I've been going to them for 10+ years. They usually let me hang out in the area. Next time I'll pull out a torque wrench and verify 177 foot lbs torque on the lugs and the pressure.

Digital Gauge: I have one that I bought at Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer's a localish chain. I think it goes to 120 psi or something like that. I did a search - not knowing where you live - and discovered Sears has a number of them here.... and Sears is pretty much everywhere I've traveled within the lower 48.

I don't think one gauge is better than another. I think mine was made by Accudata.

Unimog: I don't think you can set it to match the factory requirements. All I've done is set them to factory requirements. Before I replaced the factory tires, I wanted to be familiar with the TPMS.

I deflated one of the rear tires to 60 or 65 and it went off. I upped the pressure in the front to 70 and it went off. I reset the TPMS and it didn't complain. I dropped it back down a few minutes later and - yes, had to reset the TPMS again. It's all about the delta, dude.

-Jon

Last edited:

Top Bottom