Fuel Water Separator woes? Help?

Nav3man

I am new to the Sprinter world, but a friend of mine loves these vehicles and for the business I am starting they seem to be pretty ideal. So I purchased a well used 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with long wheel base and high roof line. 2.7 Liter 5 cylinder diesel and I enjoy the vehicle except for a few little quirks. The fuel-water separator light came on a while back so I drained fuel like the manual said and the light went out. Then the next time I started the vehicle the light came back on. I drained more fuel and the light went out. Next start the light came back on. Somebody told me to replace the fuel filter and so I did. Light came on again during the next start. If I turn the ignition switch on and off a bunch of times, then I can get the light to go off. However, on the very next start-up with one turn of the ignition switch the light comes on again. My friend says that his light just stays on all the time and he doesn't worry about it. I'm sorry but the manual says that this could lead to serious problems and I can't afford that.

SO, what do I do to resolve this issue? Does this sensor have to be reset somehow? or Does this mean that the sensor is no good? I have not seen water in any of the fuel that I have drained, so why does this light keep lighting up?

windseye

My new-to-me 2003 T1N had the W-I-F light on constantly. When I took off the connector, I saw that one of the pins had broken off. Replaced the sensor $50 and problem fixed.Since your problem is intermittent, I would suspect a dirty connector, bad electrical junction or broken wire in the cable.

312d

on some sprinters there are two fuel filters one primary under the chassis next to the fuel tank and another in the engine bay .I don't know if you have a primary

I am new to the Sprinter world, but a friend of mine loves these vehicles and for the business I am starting they seem to be pretty ideal. So I purchased a well used 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with long wheel base and high roof line. 2.7 Liter 5 cylinder diesel and I enjoy the vehicle except for a few little quirks. The fuel-water separator light came on a while back so I drained fuel like the manual said and the light went out. Then the next time I started the vehicle the light came back on. I drained more fuel and the light went out. Next start the light came back on. Somebody told me to replace the fuel filter and so I did. Light came on again during the next start. If I turn the ignition switch on and off a bunch of times, then I can get the light to go off. However, on the very next start-up with one turn of the ignition switch the light comes on again. My friend says that his light just stays on all the time and he doesn't worry about it. I'm sorry but the manual says that this could lead to serious problems and I can't afford that.

SO, what do I do to resolve this issue? Does this sensor have to be reset somehow? or Does this mean that the sensor is no good? I have not seen water in any of the fuel that I have drained, so why does this light keep lighting up?
My first question would be whether you drained the fuel into a clear container to assure that there is no water. The fuel and water will separate.

If no water, then checking the electrical connector as suggested and the harness for chafe or damage.

You might try removing the connector and letting it hang free for a test. An open connection should keep the light off. If it doesn't that would point to a harness problem or monitoring system issue.

The NAS aka NAFTA T1N's only have one fuel filter.

vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom