PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to all!

SprintED
06-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Well today was the day...we are no longer part of the Sprinter fraternity. We traded it off on a 2008 Chev Express 3500 that is now parked where the sprinter used to be.

I would like to thank all the great folks on this forum for all the help you have provided and wish you all the best with your Sprinters in the years to come. Keep up the good work...the sharing of information and willingness to help each other is what makes this forum so special.

Cheers

Ed

Altered Sprinter
06-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Best of Luck ED
Richard

sikwan
06-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks for sharing your stories Ed! I hope you have better luck with your new van. :thumbup:

kkanuck
06-22-2008, 06:55 AM
How did you make out on the trade in?

SprintED
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Put it this way....

It cost me $30,000 to own my sprinter for 2.5 years...not including maintenance and repair expenses

AzteK
06-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Take it easy man, hope you have a better time with your new van.

BaywoodBill
06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Take care..... Thanks for all your posts.

jdcaples
06-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Take care..... Thanks for all your posts.

Me too. Thanks for helping make Sprinter-Source a good place, SprintED.

-Jon

Nhuskys
06-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Best wishes and good luck with the new van!
Norman

kkanuck
06-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Put it this way....

It cost me $30,000 to own my sprinter for 2.5 years...not including maintenance and repair expenses

Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear that, I hope you find greener pastures, and your input here was greatly appreciated!

Jrmorgan
06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks SprintED for your postings! I wish you well with your new truck. I'm wondering if Sprinter ownership is like the adage for boats, that being, The happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy one and the day you sell it!
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

tab380
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I feel your pain. I had a 2003 Sprinter 2500 cargo that put my company credit card into to the $10,000. range in repairs before I could trade it in on a 2007. I was allways posting my stuff on the other Sprinter forum.
If they did not come out with the NVC3 when they did I would be in a Ford.

BULBASOR
06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
BULBASOR is very sad.

SprintED
07-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Just an update for all who are interested...

We just got back from a 3000 mile road trip with our 2008 Chev Express...ran great and did not have a single issue or worry.

I made the exact same trip last summer with my sprinter so I will endeavor to give a side by each comparison of how each did. Remember that my Sprinter was a 2005 TIN 158 high roof passenger.

MPG: at 70-75 mph, Sprinter averaged just under 19 and the Express did 16. These were calculated using actual miles driven and gallons to fill.

Power: Chev much better off the line and above 35 mph. Sprinter had good punch once the turbo wound up from 15 - 35 mph. Pulled boat (3000 lbs) with both and Chev handled the load better on highway and up hills. This new chev did much better at towing than my 2000 Express which had the 5.7. The tow/haul switch on the 2008 makes a big difference as well.
I would say that I felt the boat less on this new chev when compared to the sprinter.

Safety: 2008 Chev has Stabilitrak, 4 wheel disc brakes, TPMS, Traction control, side curtain air bags for the front 2/3rds of the van, and new special non shattering glass in the rearmost side windows to prevent passenger ejection in the event of a roll over. Lateral body roll in the chev was comparable to Sprinter..but sprinter was much taller. Installed a set of Load Hog helper springs for $250 and reduced body roll some more. Also installed aftermarket rims with more offset so each wheel sticks out just over a inch more than factory...the wider stance seems to improve the feel as well.

Handling: Sprinter seemed less harsh...the Chevy definitely has a much beefer suspension. But the Chevys steering is much softer and it feels easier to manipulate. Turning radius is better on a Sprinter BUT the chevy's shorter wheel base (155 vs 158) and shorter overall length made it seem more nimble. Not to mention the ability to once again go thru a drive thru, enter some parking garages etc...

Interior Space & Comfort: Sprinter had tons of room behind the last row of seats BUT it did not have the ability to seat 15 like the chev. We opted to leave the back seats in the chev so we only had two kids per seat which seemed to help keep everyone from killing each other after 21 hours. With everyone sitting side by each in the sprinter we seemed to have more scraps. We are kind of old fashioned...no DVD in either van, our kids bring books and toys along. The rear seat comfort seemed to be a wash for the kids...they had pro's and con's for both the chev and sprinter. My wife prefered the Chev rear seats (more comfy feeling not as hard). We also added a hitch mount cargo carrier to the chev to add some storage ($200)

AC in Chev kicked butt on Sprinter...we could keep the van much cooler and it cooled down much faster as well. Kids were much more comfortable in the 100 F temps we encountered.
AND the AC does not go BOOM BANG CRASH every second time I turn it on like the sprinter did.

Rubber floor of sprinter is a big bonus for those of us with kids...but we were able to floor mat the entire chev with some super size trunk mats for about $100 from costco to create a similar effect.

The front console and dash area of the chev has tons of storage areas and 3 real cupholders that you dont have to bend over to use. Cupholders also are deep enough so larger bottles and cups dont fall over when you go around a corner. I was able to mount a 4" GPS, IPod holder, and Cell phone holder on the dask of the chev and still use everything...Sprinter just did not have enough room on dash for this stuff.

I was suprised at how sore I did not get in the chev bucket seats...on the down trip I drove 21 hours straight thru and did not get stiff or sore. I think the easier steering and multiple positions of the steering wheel make it less fatiguing than the static position and stiffness of the sprinter wheel. The lumbar support pumps on my sprinter never held air and the one on the drivers seat stopped working at 45000 miles.

Other stuff: I will miss the programable timer and espar on the Sprinter without a doubt, but I am hoping that the smaller and more padded interior of the chev warms up faster. The chev has a much quieter interior than the sprinter....less cavernous to start with.
-Chev has reading/interior lights directly over the seats in row 2 & 3 so kids can read at night. The sprinter only had one interior light for all three rows with one in the rear over the cargo area.
-The sprinter had cool cup holders for each seat and the chevy just has one on the side for row 1 & 2. However the sprinter cupholders often got inthe way of storing things under the seat and if the kids left them out they would trip on them or get things hooked on them.
-The seatbelts in the sprinter came from the drivers side and locked into the buckle on the passenger side...chev does it the other way...so the chev always has seat belts hanging in the way on the aisle...kind of a pain...but the kids managed just fine.
-Rear bench on chevy is now split in half so you can remove one half giving you seating for 13 and some cargo space. The chevy seats are super easy to take out and allow you to gut the van and use it for hauling stuff. I never had the seats or my sprinter out because they were so heavy and awkward.
-Chevy has on onboard computer that is very user friendly and calculates a whole bunch of stuff like MPG, distance to empty etc...really handy.
-Keyless Entry -They actually work on a chevy and from a long distance as well. The sprinter ones never did work great (had to be real close to van) and were just glorified thumb exercisers. we often used the key to open the door on the sprinter when the keyless entry was just acting stupid. AND if I accidently go swiming with my chev keys...it wont cost me $360 for a new fob like the sprinter did.
-Chev factory stereo has an IPOD plug...sprinter did not. Chev Factory radio much easier to use and had many more features than the Becker in the sprinter.
-Automatic headlights in Chev and the new ones have split side view mirror with a parabolic mirror in it. Not as nice as the sprinter mirrors but they work ok.
-The engine temp in my sprinter always fluctuated quite a bit when you when up hills etc...it would run at just over 85 C then climb to 115 C+ and get close to the red zone when you climbed a hill etc... The chev just seemed to stay at a very constant temp (around 98 C) and would only climb up to 105 or so on big pulls and never even got close to the red zone. I used the scanguage in both to get actual temps. I am no engineer but seems to me that repeated temp fluctuations can play a role in metal fatigue and wear?

I can also buy all my maintenace supplies locally from any autoparts store at much lower costs than the sprinter. Everytime I drove by a GM Dealer or a Napa, Kragen, etc... auto parts place, I knew I could roll in and get just about anything I need for the chev. AND drivetrain is covered for 5 years 100000 miles, where as the sprinter only had that on the engine with the tranny off warranty at 60,000 miles. This is a big deal for us.

For us the bottomline is dollars....if the sprinter was actually able to run for 300000 miles with only routine maintenance it might be worth the almost 40% higher purchase price. But that was not my experience nor that of many on this forum. The Sprinter is a really cool van and offers lots of advantages BUT reliability is not one of them IMHO.

In answer to Dr. A and his post in the NCV section about taking a 2500 mile road trip and then you will understand why a Sprinter is so superior....Well I have (many times) and its advantages do not out weight the costs involved and the utter lack of dealer support and technical ability when it comes to the sprinter. Keep in mind that I am speaking from the perspective on one who uses a van as a daily people mover and not as RV or weekend excursion device.

BTW...I am climbing into a rented Ford E350 with 8 teenagers and my wife and going on a 2500 mile 7 day run to St. Paul Minn. on Saturday...so I will let you know how that van compares when I get back.

Cheers

Ed

sikwan
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the write-up Ed. I'm glad everything is working out the way you wanted it to.

Any pics of the new van?

mobileoilchange
07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
HI 5 ED!!! WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

if i would of said any of those things i would get attacked!

finally a real report of two fine vehicles. from a guy that owned both... way to go.

mgjessop
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I happy to hear that you are happy with your chevy... What I do take issue with is, how do you loose $30k?... Why didn't you get a extended warranty? You can get a warranty to cover your sprinter to 100k miles from at least a dozen extended warranty companies no matter if you were the 20th owner... I am tired of people bashing the sprinter and saying how much trouble they are, got a 170k on the dial and not one dang issue... I know a few other fedex sprinters with 500k with less than $5k in matinace and repairs, and they are driven as hard as possible... Am I alone here, are you guy's amazed at how great these van's are?:idunno:

OrioN
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
You can checkout any time you like... but you can never leave.

Hotel Sprinter.

BBlessing
07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
hey mg; i am new to sprinter ownership (4500 miles and counting). i would say so far, i am quite satisfied with my purchase. yes i bought the extended warrenty. these days it is just money well spent, imho. many happy miles to you and everyone else on this list.

bb

gerrym51
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
HI 5 ED!!! WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

if i would of said any of those things i would get attacked!

finally a real report of two fine vehicles. from a guy that owned both... way to go.

Mobile,

He comes across as less judgmental. I think your both AOK!

gerry:bounce:

mobileoilchange
07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Mobile,

He comes across as less judgmental. I think your both AOK!

:thinking:

tab380
07-18-2008, 11:16 PM
:thinking:

He thinks your to judgmental:popcorn:

gerrym51
07-18-2008, 11:19 PM
He thinks your to judgmental:popcorn:

I bow to your superior judgement.

mobileoilchange
07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
i only speak of the facts as to what i see, use, and deal with in a customer based matter.