No engine power in reverse

RICKOLA

I drive a 2008 3500 with 38,000 miles. Loaded to approx 9, 000#. I was parked on a driveway slope facing down with a 5% slope. When I went to move in reverse, the engine generated no power, couldn't get the revs up past 1000-1200 rpm.

Needed a tow truck to pull with chain from my trailer hitch out the 25' needed to get to flatland. On flat ground, the truck seemed to drive fine both directions.

What I notice is that when stopped at a light, my scan gauge is showing about 75% lod. If I shift to neutral or park it drops to 23% lod. It idle's around 800 in park, neutral, or drive.

But taking my foot off the brake in drive, and the van wants to drive forward more than I remember it doing.

Haven't checked the trans level, but it doesn't show any leaks. It still original fluid from 2008 with 38,000 miles.

Does this sound like a trans issue, oil, or possibly electrical sensor issue. What do you suggest next. Local dealer is a joke. Just to have them look is 170.00 and a whole day lost.

Is there a makeshift dip stick to get an idea of the level or condition of the oil. Can I drop in a 1/4" plastic icemaker hose to sample the fluid or level? Is it etter to drain and check the pan for debris?

Is it possible that when the mechanic changed my engine oil cooler 3 weeks ago, something was damaged leading to this trans issue? The oil cooler is a big job that involved the turbo and intake manifolds removed, coolant drained. Not sure if the trans oil would have been accidentally touched?

Rick.

Last edited:

sailquik

Rick,
Not sure about your "no reverse pointing downhill issue....why not just order a trans dipstick from Euro Parts SD:
http://europarts-sd.com/2002-2009transmissionservicedipstick.asp
The engine should idle @ 680 RPM +- 5 RPM.
The % engine LOD at idle in gear should be in the 35-50% range NOT 75%.
The % engine LOD at idle OUT OF Gear (N or P) should be in the 18%-25% Range.
All of the above are with the engine and trans up to normal operating temperatures.
Could be low transmission fluid.
The authorized Sprinter (MB or Freightliner??) dealer near you should be able to give you a diagnosis
for < $170.00 and a full day.
Should take about 1/2 hour on the MB SDS diagnostic computer to assess your transmission.
Yes, it very likely could be linked to the recent work on your engine.
If they removed the radiator/drained the coolant, then all the fluid could have run out of the
transmission and who knows what they did about refilling it and with what fluid.
Roger

RICKOLA

Im starting to lean towards an electrical issue. Does the stability control play a roll in dropping power when driving out of balance?

Between the high load when in drive and not moving, seems like electronics and not mechanical. Local trans shop did sample the oil color and smell. He felt it was ok with a smell and color test. But he didnt have the right dipstick to check the level.

The radiator was drained, but not removed. I doubt the mechanic accidently drained the wrong hose, but anything is possible?

Rick.

sailquik

The high %LOD could be due to the higher than normal idle speed....you are holding it back with the brakes.
Is this from a cold start or is this high %LOD apparent when everything is fully warmed up.
Your Sprinter does have a high idle feature on cold starting.
As far as the traction control, you would see the triangle warning symbol if the traction control is being deployed due
to one wheel slipping.
You can shut the traction control off and you will get the triangle symbol on your dash display.
Try it and see....that would help diagnose if you have a traction or stability assist issue.
The NAG-1/5G-Tronic is very sensitive to fluid level.
Looking at the color of the fluid and smelling it, really will not tell you much, if anything.
Buy a dipstick, or head to a Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes Benz dealer and have them check your transmission fluid level.
Roger

RICKOLA

Its both when cold and hot. I will double check this with the scan gauge. Is the idle something that's adjustable or is it all computer feedback?

Now starting to wonder if by degreasing the leaking oil cooler seals and manifold area, if some of the cleaning solution has affected any of the electrical connections or sensors.

Seems to run good when not trying to back up from a standing start on a grade.

Can I adjust the idle or is it a dealer thing?

Rick.

sailquik

The idle RPM is controlled by the ECM (engine management computer) as far as I know.
So, the only way to really adjust it would be with the MB SDS diagnostics or perhaps an independent shop or
someone with the Dodge/Freightliner diagnostics applicable to your 2008 year model.
All of the OM-642 V6 Sprinters I've had (2010/2011/2012) have idled right at 680 RPM.
This is controlled by the ECM and it never varies more than a few RPM and by watching your Scan Gauge II
(RPM PID) you will see it vary slightly, then the ECM will bring it back to exactly 680 RPM.
Your high idle RPM is something that need to be diagnosed and adjusted.
Until you can determine the fluid level in the transmission is correct, and since the van seems to operate
just fine otherwise, can you avoid parking your Sprinter nose down on steep inclines?
Hope this helps,
Roger

The idle speed can be adjusted using the high idle option. The option switch needs to be enabled for that control to work.

Unless things have changed from the T1N control scheme, the normal idle speed is fixed by the ECM and is not adjustable. The ECM should compensate for varying loads at idle such as A/C being on. Those varying loads may cause the idle to not always be at 680, but as Roger said, generally the ECM will control pretty closely to that.

vic

sailquik

Vic,
I don't think he has the "high idle option".
Somehow, when he had the "engine oil cooler" (Maybe the EGR cooler??) work done, the mechanic may have disturbed
something electrical (or failed to plug something back in as he had the entire top off the engine) that
is causing his engine's normal idle speed to go up to 800 RPM.
Wish we could hook him up with someone close who has a transmission dipstick for the NAG-1/5G-Tronic trans.
I think we've seen more than a few folks have a similar problem with low trans fluid when on a downhill grade
and problems getting the low fluid level to pump through the valves to engage the reverse gear.
Roger

RICKOLA

It was the engine cooler in the middle of the engine on top of the manifold that was replaced with all the needed seals and gaskets. Could a manifold leak or vacuum leak cause my issues? between all the seals and intake and exhaust components that needed to be removed, i'm wondering if there is a leak that has caused these issues. oil leak has gone away. there are no computer codes from reading the scan gauge.

Would low fluid keep the engine from revving when trying to get the van rolling in reverse? seems like 1000 rpm is the max. it revs in drive, park and neutral and reverse when not on a hill.

Thanks,

Rick

ljones

I had a similar issue with my 2008 when I first got it. The air filter had been replaced and the turbo inlet duct (hose) was not placed tight onto the turbo. It was bypassing air from the filter housing. I believe there is an air flow sensor in the inlet of the housing.
As soon as I properly installed the duct on the turbo inlet the throttle response issues went away.
If there was work done to the top of your engine, the filter housing was likely removed. I'd check the hoses and connections.
Just a thought and good luck

Larry

RICKOLA

680 rpm is pretty close when i set 1 of the 4 scan gauges to rpm. normally i run volts, load, water temp and manifold boost pressure. swapped the volts for the digital tach rpm's.

still trying to get to the dealer about 30 miles away as the mercedes dealer close by is a joke. 170 an hour and a whole day just to look at anything. there is no sit and wait.

Rick.

RICKOLA

another observation the last 2 days.

while driving on a steep hill, i purposely parked and made sure not to jam the front wheels to the curb just in case i needed to roll backwards since i was pointing up hill. had no problem driving up the hill. in fact the street is so steep that when going down hill, there is a runaway truck ramp at the bottom. in the last several months, 2 different incidents took place with run away trucks and both resulted in the deaths of an LAPD officer. 1 was a cement truck nd the other was a truck pulling a bobcat and they both lost their brakes, and ultimately crashing into the officers cars.

so the hill is steep, my sprinter had no issue going up the hills, but 1 hour later when i went to leave, i had no power going up hill, so i backed down a little and was able to get the revs up to then pull forward.

today i was towing my 4000# trailer and had no issues towing on pretty flat ground.

another thing i tried was with my foot on the brakes, i tried to rev the engine and there was no power to rev with. just like i experienced the 2 times while parked on a slope.

Rick.

sailquik

Rick,
You may be on to something here.
Your Sprinter will not develop much (if any) power when the brakes are applied.
Try this....use the emergency brake to hold your Sprinter from rolling, then shift to low or reverse gear, apply a little throttle, then
release the emergency brake and see if it will pull away.
When pointing uphill, I'm pretty sure you have the hill start assist function working for you and that could be working
against you when trying to back up a hill.
Try the emergency/parking brake and use the throttle to load up the engine and transmission in the direction you need
to go BEFORE releasing the hand brake handle.
Sprinters have some great safety systems, but they work "the way they work", and sometimes the features work against
what you are trying to get your Sprinter to do.
Have you been able to check your transmission fluid level yet?
Have you ever weighed your Sprinter to see if you are at or below the 9,990 GAVWR?
Also, have you looked for an authorized Freightliner Sprinter dealer near you?
Freightliner is more likely to be a "Commercial" Sprinter operation.
I'm fortunate as the dealer I use (Sun Motor Cars) is a high end Mercedes Benz dealer with a dedicated
commercial Sprinter repair shop. They offer lower $/hr rates to work on Sprinters, and have a dedicated
Sprinter shop with all the heavier duty racks/tire/balance machines specifically to work on commercial
customers Sprinters.
Roger

Last edited:

RICKOLA

Thank you Roger for your suggestion. i will try this tomorrow when i tow my 4000# work trailer. i did try the regular brake pedal and when applied with the left foot, the right foot accelerator will not rev up. but what it sounds like is the parking brake will allow me to rev the engine due to a possible faulty brake sensor? the hill start assist function sounds like the same reason why my idle load is high when in drive and stopped at a light.

any idea what needs to be done to correct this? is it a sensor, or computer issue.

the truck weighs approx 8900# daily. doesn't change much unless i'm towing my trailer.

i have not checked the trans fluid yet, but unless that has leaked or was disconnected, it should be correct. wouldn't it have an affect on my other gears or hill driving if it was low?

i'm actually looking at getting rid of this sprinter and buying a nissan nv. it has a gas 5.7 engine and 9500# towing along with 317hp. 385# torque. seems like between all the glow plug issues i had, the lack of local service in the biggest city in the country and the cost of maintenance, i'm better off without it. heck 38.000 miles and just shy of 6 years never will pay by keeping it. my average 6 year mpg is 12 and mph is 12.5. how much worse can it get by going gas?

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Rick.

sailquik

Rick,
The "biggest city in the country" is where?
Gravity comes into play with the trans fluid level.
The fluid pickup to the filter screen and fluid pump is nearer the back of the pan than the front.
Tilt the front end down enough and it's possible to starve the pump if the fluid level is low.
If it idles @ anything >< 680 RPM, there is something not quite right.
It might be a sensor, it might be corrupted programming, could be any number of things so I can't
even take a guess.
MB SDS diagnostics should be able to sort it out very quickly.
They might also check your trans fluid level.
Try a Freightliner dealer....they are more likely to be a commercial type "get you in get you out" type operation.
Sprinters are Sprinters...regardless of MB/Freightliner/Dodge....they all are built in the same factory with the
same parts...only differences are the badges, minor exterior cosmetic change for each brand, and the manuals.
You seem to be long past warranty, so anyone who works on Sprinters and has the factory level diagnostics
should be able to sort it out fairly quickly.
Roger

RICKOLA

biggest / most congestion is los angeles.

freight liners were never sold in calif. so there are no dealers here. 2 miles away is Beverly hills mercedes. $170.00 an hour and all day wait for something as simple as a peak under the hood.

The dealer I've been to for warranty work is 30 miles away and honestly, i can do better work. between leaving hose supports off and using worm drive hose clamps on my fuel filter, to having to return 5 times for glow plugs ect, it's 30 miles each way and i wait for the repair.

the sprinter was pointing downhill in the driveway when i tried backing up the first time. so trans and engine were facing downhill. few days later i was parked uphill and trans and engine were pointing uphill while i tried going forward. either direction with a load it had no power from a standstill. seems to have plenty of power driving uphill in forward and reverse once i am driving. even with pulling my trailer. just can't rev the engine when the truck is parked on a hill.

680 rpm is correct with my scan gauge. but while in drive at a red light, my load goes up to 75% in drive. But in park or neutral it's about 25%.

Rick.

Last edited:

RICKOLA

Finally got to the dealer today. i believe it was a waste of time and 180.00 reduced down to 100.00 with a coupon and a little complaining. Then the service writer tells me it needs a new torque converter and that according to their nation wide parts inventory search, there is only 1 in the entire usa available. of course i really question that too as he told me it was a new one and i said can't you rebuild them. comes back to me and corrects himself, says that it is a rebuilt one. 1500. plus tax and another 960 labor for the install. with no guarantee that will solve it. they also claim that the oil level is fine and it's not burnt. sounds all good on paper until i get home and watch my brand new dash cam i installed a few weeks ago.

The time stamped footage will amaze and shock you. although the video is all looking forward out the front windshield both while driving and while idling in their dealer shop. not once did they open the hood with the engine on. isn't the trans oil level tested with the engine running in park? all i see and hear is the mechanic eating his breakfast sandwich and drinking his coffee while eventually answering a private phone call.

then the 120.00 trans guy takes it for a 12 minute test drive, not 1 time bringing into the shop for a look or opening the hood.

got there at 7:05 am today and left just after 12:00 noon. a 5 hour waste of time and 100.00 less in the wallet.

diagnosis on paper "TEST TRANS TORQUE CONVERTER IS SLIPS BADLY $2465.00 PLUS TAX FOR REPLACEMENT CUSTOMER ADVISED"

yet they're racing it around the hills and never had anything plugged into the truck nor opened the hood. i guess they're not even smart enough to see the dash cam that was lit up right next to the rear view monitor.

meanwhile i can still tow my 4000# trailer without a problem so long as i don't park on a hill.

Now you know why i don't go to the dealers.

what next? call the dealer and raise hell with them and show them the footage?

Rick.

FWIW. My '12 acts this way, but only when stone cold on a cold day. I have assumed it is something deliberate in the programming. Perhaps if a temp sensor is reading or being read incorrectly it might behave this way at higher ambient temps.

Top Bottom