06 just shut off at idle

installp

So I was sitting eating my lunch in my 06 with the engine idling to try to keep warm, and it just all of the sudden shut down like I turned the key off. It cranks but won't fire up (full tank). I had it towed home, generic code reader says "low fuel pressure". It has a new fuel filter, changed it a few months ago. Where should I look first?? Thanks :thinking:

So I was sitting eating my lunch in my 06 with the engine idling to try to keep warm, and it just all of the sudden shut down like I turned the key off. It cranks but won't fire up (full tank). I had it towed home, generic code reader says "low fuel pressure". It has a new fuel filter, changed it a few months ago. Where should I look first?? Thanks :thinking:
With just generic code reader info the diesel mantra "Engine operating problem? First change the fuel filter." comes to mind.

You might remove, inspect, and re-install the electrical connectors on the high pressure fuel pump and fuel rail to see if that improves connectivity. Your 2006 has no low pressure fuel monitoring circuits.

A Sprinter specific scan tool will likely give more detailed DTC information.

vic

Could be the pump in the tank. Turn key on and get down by the tank and listen to see if the pump is running. Maybe a fuse or relay possibly

Howboutcha-

mything2

2007 Airstream Interstate
Doktor A might remember when 3 years ago my 2006 Sprinter (a 2007 Airstream Interstate RV) did the same thing- one minute we were idling and then the engine died. Tried restarting and it turned over but wouldn't start. When this happened, we were in Canada on our way to Alaska and were just south of the Yukon border with British Columbia. Long story short-towed 4 hours south, lucky to find an MB mech with Sprinter experience and he diagnosed it as a frozen #1 fuel injector.no compression was the give away (it was frozen open). Luckily he had a used but good one on hand and we were soon on our way.
Just a possibilty.
Dan

installp

Does the in tank fuel pump have a cut off if it doesn't sense back pressure? When I turn the key on it spurts out a small amount of fuel and that's it. Does the fact that it pumps at all mean that this is not my problem? Thanks Henry

random

05 140" SHC 2500 Cargo
Doktor A might remember when 3 years ago my 2006 Sprinter (a 2007 Airstream Interstate RV) did the same thing- one minute we were idling and then the engine died. Tried restarting and it turned over but wouldn't start. When this happened, we were in Canada on our way to Alaska and were just south of the Yukon border with British Columbia. Long story short-towed 4 hours south, lucky to find an MB mech with Sprinter experience and he diagnosed it as a frozen #1 fuel injector.no compression was the give away (it was frozen open). Luckily he had a used but good one on hand and we were soon on our way.
Just a possibilty.
Dan
Would an injector leak off test show an injector that is stuck open?

I wondered if anyone has installed a tee in the fuel supply coming from the low pressure pump to test the psi ?

Howboutcha-

mything2

2007 Airstream Interstate
Would an injector leak off test show an injector that is stuck open?
I have a DAD but don't know if u can run that test w/o a running engine. I never asked the mechanic who diagnosed mine what he used to discover the problem.

Does the in tank fuel pump have a cut off if it doesn't sense back pressure?
No. People have emptied the tank of contaminated fuel into open containers by using multiple key operations to cycle the pump.

When I turn the key on it spurts out a small amount of fuel and that's it. Does the fact that it pumps at all mean that this is not my problem? Thanks Henry
Is this being tested before or after the fuel filter?

vic

sailquik

install,
Do you have a 125 PSI pressure gauge you can attach to the output of your in tank fuel booster pump
before you drain the tank and remove it.
Since it runs for a short time then quits, there could very well be a safety feature built in to prevent the pump
from dumping fuel all over if the line comes loose and it does not build pressure quickly enough.
Complicated, yes, but MB has built in rollover vent valves and lots of other safety stuff that only
deploys in the event of an accident that requires the device to keep fuel from spilling and starting
a fire.
The output from the in tank pump should be in the 75-95 PSI range, and it should build head pressure in
a few seconds.
Hope this helps,
Roger

installp

OK, so I jumped it and the in tank fuel pumps like crazy, going to get a gauge to check the pressure. What's next??

installp

The only way the in tank pump is coming on is when I jump it, one of the pins does energize when the key is turned on but it doesn't trigger the relay to turn the pump on??

Top Bottom