A ULSD Station List

geneowens1

I'm thinking/planning a US road trip - My Sprinter must have ULSD with no more than 5%Bio. The fuel pumps in NC/SC seem to be labeled with the % of Bio. I regularly use the local Shell station where the pumps say only ULSD and no label for Bio. Other pumps in this area show 5% Bio and up to 20% Bio[Loves and Pilot Truck Stops]. I avoid all of those. I don't even want 5% if I can avoid it.
I'm wondering if we/anyone could set up a listing by state of locations to get non-bio ULSD?? It would be very helpful to those of us who are traveling across the US to places where we are unfamiliar with the quality/type of diesel available. From some other reading it seems that some Midwest states only have Bio??? Is this a fact? Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

icarus

ULSD is the ONLY regularly available fuel available in North America. Some states, MN in particular, have mandated higher bio levels, but 5% or less is readily available everywhere. Driven coast to coast to coast to coast (atlantic, pacific, gulf, to nearly the arctic and have never had trouble finding suitable fuel.

Icarus

Russ61

In another thread it was mentioned that Costco was starting to sell diesel. I spoke with their corporate person in charge of the program (nice chap) including his comments about 0, 5, or greater % of biodiesel. He indicated that between distribution systems at refineries, intermediate storage facilities, and transporters it is virtually impossible to ensure that there is NO biodiesel in diesel. It's what Costco specifies and their vendors intend to ship but due to common piping/tanker systems there inevitably apparently is some small degree of cross contaminating biodiesel fuels with non. Therefore the stipulation is <5% (ie less than 5%) biodiesel, meaning anything from 0 up to 5%...most probably at or near 0%. I think the focus really needs to be on differentiating between sources (suppliers and outlets) that retail 20% vs 0-5% biodiesel and to ensure that dispensers are being CLEARLY labeled as to which as well as ensuring compliance with the actual material as labeled in their tanks.

I believe, as Icarus stated, that as of December 1, 2014 ALL sources of diesel in the US must be ULSD for highway and off-road uses.

david_42

On the West Coast, any diesel that contains bio has to be labelled. I've never had a problem finding stations that have no bio. I have noticed that 20% bio tends to be cheaper than 100% dino, so if you are on the cheap side, always check.

trz453

On the West Coast, any diesel that contains bio has to be labelled. I've never had a problem finding stations that have no bio. I have noticed that 20% bio tends to be cheaper than 100% dino, so if you are on the cheap side, always check.
Its true that it has to be labeled as such, but as Russ61 noted from the Costco rep above, there's no way to guarantee the purity of fuel due to different spec fuels being pumped through shared equipment.

What happens is this....a regional refinery has a pipeline that might distribute gasoline that goes to Shell trucks on Monday morning, and on Tuesday morning, that same pipeline is feeding Chevron trucks, and on Wednesday morning, its filling up BP trucks, and then Shell again on Thursday morning, and so on.

Believe it or not, all petrochemical companies buy fuel from each other all the time. If there's Shell refineries in California but none in Texas, and Texaco refineries in Texas but none in California, then these competing companies will happily buy fuel from each other because its much cheaper to buy local fuel at wholesale than regularly transport their own refined products across 4-5 state lines.

Each brand has different proprietary additives and there's no way to guarantee that one doesn't mix with another. However, what happens in between these is interesting...that's when the smaller brands and non-name brands buy their fuel for a discount. So in between these big brand buyers, generic brands X, Y and Z are buying the wash out 'leftovers' from any number of brand name fuels. This ensures that enough additive-free fuel is able to wash through the equipment lines so that Chevron doesn't get upset about finding BP additives in their fuel, or vice versa.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't really matter, as all of these additives in fuel are compatible with each other and we as consumers mix fuels all the time. What one may notice, however, is that fuel from less-well-known brands and privately owned stations usually doesn't have as strong an additive pack as the heavily marketed and more expensive name brands.

In my experience, however, its never in recent years been a problem for me to run cheap fuel from a station that has high turnover, but then occasionally run a fuel system cleaner to clean out any deposits in the injectors, fuel lines or fuel pump for both gas and diesel engines. For me, the money saved with always running cheaper fuel seems to exceed the occasional cost of bottled additives like techron concentrate or BG244, but YMMV depending on the fuel available locally.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
As mentioned above, all NA gas stations have been selling ULSD exclusively for years so that is not an issue. Regarding biodiesel, try to select stations without any biodiesel content stickers on the pump and if you occasionally have to use B5-B20 then some infrequent use isn't going to hurt anything. Any list anyone develops won't be accurate for more than 6 months anyway. People spend a lot of time overthinking this.

Last edited:

Top Bottom