PDA

View Full Version : What Roof T1N Heights Are OEM?

Aqua Puttana
11-21-2014, 10:34 PM
What T1N Roof Heights Are OEM?

Random asked what I thought was a good question. It depressed one guy so much that I guess he found it necessary to the close the thread to move on with his life. :idunno:

So here's some of what led up to the question.

Edited.
I haven't researched or kept up on the new Sprinters as they are not on my radar.

The T1N's NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2006 come in 4 3 OEM roof heights.

Cab/chassis = C = lowest. Windshield is slightly smaller.

Standard = HC = High enough for most many people to easily walk around, but with head tilted.

High = SHC = High enough for most anyone many to walk under without issue. Rear A/C reduces the height.

Super Mega High = Custom Only= Higher than needed for walking. Fine with rear A/C. Handy for conversions (DIY and up fitters) high beds, cabinets, and perhaps cubby storage for a shuttle.

Do the newer vans come in 4 heights?

If yes, would the high roof be adequate if it is a choice with the 4 cylinder?

Sorry for any confusion.

vic

I thought T1ns only came in HC and SHC? High Cab; Super High Cab. Maybe I saw a rare option for something higher than an SHC...

:idunno:

Maybe one is custom?

vic

When we camp my wife walks around without problem in our Sprinter. I walk around with my head tilted. I don't stoop around like I did in my Dodge Ram Van B series.

Our paint is way different, but this is our roof height.

This thread discussion is for the newer NCV3 option though. My apologies for taking things off topic. Thread was closed.

vic

Hey let's talk about this silver thing! I know bout the mega roof NCv3s, which is a fiberglass extension. But I have never seen a T1N like this before. I love it.

I was under the impression that it was a factory option, but the lack of OEM antenna on this picture puts some doubt on it being OEM. :idunno:

vic

I have been under the assumption that the fiberglass high roof T1N was an option. It just isn't seen very often in North America. What's the truth?

vic

autostaretx
11-21-2014, 11:18 PM
My memory is that there are only the 3: cab/chassis, HC and SHC .. in both the US and Europe.

I'll dig out that-era Dodge/Freightliner brochures, and i have the dimensioned drawings from then, too
(many of which are in the Yahoo sprintervan's Files area)

The "silver thing" is obviously an RV (oddball rear window and that black hole underneath it), so i vote that its roof is custom.
After all, look at the odd shape of the that-era's (argh! brain-fart! What's the "person's name" RV that MB was selling?)

Watch for a follow-up (in a couple of hours) with the numbers...

--dick

bc339
11-22-2014, 12:02 AM
After all, look at the odd shape of the that-era's (argh! brain-fart! What's the "person's name" RV that MB was selling?)

--dick

The Airstream James Cook Sprinter RV. Kind of reminds me of an AWACS radar housing.

Bruce

autostaretx
11-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Well... i can't find the height of the cab/chassis roof.
The Body Builder's books all say "refer to offerings drawings", and i don't have the cab/chassis drawings.
If memory serves, the cab/chassis windshield was about 1 inch shorter than the normal glass.
If you want to look them up, the Pilkington numbers are: cab/chassis: DW 1577, normal: DW 1488

Here are the other numbers, as extracted from a 2004 sales brochure:

(note the extra inch or so on the 16" wheel models)

--dick
p.s. the NCV3 one-seat-row cab/chassis is about 70mm shorter than the "crew cab" cab/chassis
(the drawings give height above the chassis rails, but not above the ground)

Aqua Puttana
11-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Dick,
Thanks for the detail and documentation that you provided (as always). :thumbup:

For T1N OEM:

C = Cab/Chassis = The Lowest Roof Version

HC = High Cab = Standard Roof Version

SHC = Super High Cab = High Roof Version

It appears that any pictures which I've seen of a T1N with a mega plastic roof must be custom. RV's are a given as custom. Some T1N shuttles appear mega high also.

Edited.
I haven't researched or kept up on the new Sprinters as they are not on my radar.

The T1N's NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2006 come in 4 3 OEM roof heights.

Cab/chassis = C = lowest. Windshield is slightly smaller.

Standard = HC = High enough for most many people to easily walk around, but with head tilted.

High = SHC = High enough for most anyone many to walk under without issue. Rear A/C reduces the height.

Super Mega High = Custom Only= Higher than needed for walking. Fine with rear A/C. Handy for conversions (DIY and up fitters) high beds, cabinets, and perhaps cubby storage for a shuttle.

Do the newer vans come in 4 heights?

If yes, would the high roof be adequate if it is a choice with the 4 cylinder?

Sorry for any confusion.

vic

Thanks. vic

Thunderbolt
11-25-2014, 07:44 PM
In the UK we have two heights of van (standard and high roof), then the chassis cab is one height and the chassis crew cab is slightly taller.
This corresponds to the pictures in Vic's first post above as follows, blue van is standard roof, white van is high roof, pickup is a chassis cab.