They have done it again!-Guess who?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
It is the whole infrastructure thing. Electric will have super capacitors before we see a hydrogen station at every truck stop. Feed it hydrocarbons and it will spit out the dreaded CO2.
The middle east has sun. They could charge ultra-capacitors built in to supertankers. The tankers would simply plug in at their new port to add to the electric grid.
A super tanker could hold 2x10(15) Farads.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I don't see any CO2 in the equation.
I'd hate to be in New York on a August 100* F day with 95% humidity and these steaming out more heat and water into the air to add to it.

BBlessing

61k happy miles
if I am reading this article right, it will be $10 a kg and to fill a 100kg fuel cell will be $1,000! at a range of 300 miles that is $3.33 a mile. my sprinter gets $0.21 a mile and cars should be even better than that. where is the impetus to invest in this new tech?

bb

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
if I am reading this article right, it will be $10 a kg and to fill a 100kg fuel cell will be $1,000! at a range of 300 miles that is $3.33 a mile. my sprinter gets $0.21 a mile and cars should be even better than that. where is the impetus to invest in this new tech?

bb
There's your problem you misread in 3rd paragraph, it's a 5kg tank or $50 to fill and go 300 miles or $0.17 per mile, better than $0.21 and no pollution out the pipe but water and heat

tinman

bb
The article says 5kg of hydrogen for 300 miles, so not quite so bad at about $0.17/mile. Saw an interesting demonstration project last year that stored excess from a wind turbine in a fuel cell, the idea being a self contained power module for small remote communities. Look forward to seeing how the car infrastructure develops.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Yes. The number for the supertanker. 2x10(15) Farads. At 12 volts, one Farad is appx equal to 1 amp/hr. Definitely hair raising.

icarus

My problem with hydrogen is that it takes more energy to make than it gives IIRC. Now if you can make hydrogen In enough quantity using excess hydro/wind/solar there go for it, but if you are going to produce it with conventional electricity then you aren't gaining much.

Icarus

Top Bottom