Quick glow plug module question....auto resetting?

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I've been searching the forum and would appreciate a little help if anyone has the answer. :thumbup:

I'm on the toad and can't look at my Sprinter right now but want to order parts so they are there when I get home.

I get a glow plug error code if I start my van and move it from the driveway to the street. (Short drive ) The CEL then goes away in about a day of I drive the van a longer distance.

This should mean the error didn't come back .....did the glow plug control module reset for this to happen?

I'm trying to figure out if I should order just new plugs or plugs and a module. Don't want the module if mine is already the resetting version.

(Van is also VERY stubborn to start in the extreme cold and throws a CEL for glow plugs 3,5)

Thanks!!

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The new Glow Plug Module (under the battery, behind the head light - NAFTA) will self reset, where the older one blows internal fuses (and once you get an error, it always gives an error). If you have a bad glow plug (or more), you will see what you are running into.

Look into replacing the Glow Plugs next.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
My T1N had a blown fuse inside of the old style relay/module. It would only throw a code if I did a wait-to-start process in temps below about 35 degrees. This code would clear after a few start and run cycles (on warmer days).

The old style relay is about 3/8 of an inch taller than the new style shown in the link.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5413347&cc=1434747

Someone had replaced my vans glow plugs previously but had not replaced the blown older module. I ended up replacing the plugs anyway, but all of them tested good.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Thanks. I just ordered plugs. When I get home I can look at the module. Just didn't want to spent the money on a module if all I'd be doing is replacing what's in there.

We just sold a couple of cars and my wife has been using my SUV. Which has left the Sprinter as my snow vehicle.....but it doesn't start very wel when super cold.

I got around this last year because my Espr worked. Now it's thowing a unsolvable code!!

Top Bottom