Help! Urgent Need to Winterize Citation Sprinter SR/Siesta SR

oreddie

Got caught flat-footed; unusually long fall weather then a sudden onset of single digit temperatures and need to winterize our Citation Sprinter ASAP!

I spent a couple hours today with the generic owner manual, trying to figure out to use the "wet" method (as opposed to compressed air" to winterize our Citation Sprinter SR.

I've drained the fresh water, drained the hot water heater, isolated the fresh water tank (I think) but can't figure out how to get antifreeze into the pipes. Manual says to "pour 4-6 gallons" into the fresh water tank and run pump until red shows at the faucets/showers. I've opened the service panels inside under the bed and in the exterior storage compartment beneath the bed. Can't see any way to pour anything directly into the fresh water tank.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Ed
2015 Citation Sprinter SR

chromisdesigns

Got caught flat-footed; unusually long fall weather then a sudden onset of single digit temperatures and need to winterize our Citation Sprinter ASAP!

I spent a couple hours today with the generic owner manual, trying to figure out to use the "wet" method (as opposed to compressed air" to winterize our Citation Sprinter SR.

I've drained the fresh water, drained the hot water heater, isolated the fresh water tank (I think) but can't figure out how to get antifreeze into the pipes. Manual says to "pour 4-6 gallons" into the fresh water tank and run pump until red shows at the faucets/showers. I've opened the service panels inside under the bed and in the exterior storage compartment beneath the bed. Can't see any way to pour anything directly into the fresh water tank.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Ed
2015 Citation Sprinter SR
You don't want to get that stuff in your fw tank! Instead find the pump, pull off the intake hose or pipe and stick on a piece of hose to a bucket of antifreeze. Then run the pump until it comes out of each faucet. There should be a heater bypass valve or fitting somewhere to avoid filling the water heater as well. If not drain the heater and disconnect and plug the heater intake hose before winterizing the plumbing.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
You don't want to get that stuff in your fw tank! Instead find the pump, pull off the intake hose or pipe and stick on a piece of hose to a bucket of antifreeze. Then run the pump until it comes out of each faucet. There should be a heater bypass valve or fitting somewhere to avoid filling the water heater as well. If not drain the heater and disconnect and plug the heater intake hose before winterizing the plumbing.
Or, just blow it all out with compressed air (a cheap tire-filling compressor will do the job). I don't understand why people go through all the trouble to add antifreeze to fresh water systems when compressed air is so fast and easy. Save it for the traps and the macerator pump.

chromisdesigns

Or, just blow it all out with compressed air (a cheap tire-filling compressor will do the job). I don't understand why people go through all the trouble to add antifreeze to fresh water systems when compressed air is so fast and easy. Save it for the traps and the macerator pump.
He's in a hurry and has no compressor?

oreddie

Thanks Everyone!

I figured it out, sort of. I didn't get any in the FW tank but the combination of valves under the bed and in exterior storage had me stumped. After wasting 3 gallons of AF thru the hot water heater I managed to turn the right ones to get the cold water supply lines filled. We'll leave the heat on overnight (forecast low of 8) and hope to finish tomorrow. Once done I'll post how step-by-step for other 24SR owners here.

Again, many thanks. It was all helpful.

Ed
CS 24SR

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Ed, Now..... You need to label or color code the valves so you don't have to re-invent or remover how to do it. Maybe a simple check list with photos? On my other RVs I but colored electrical tape on the lines & valves to indicate their position for use and storage. My new one is pretty straight forward but I should probably take the time to mark them.

Ie., red or yellow normal ops.... Blue (cold) winter.

oreddie

Thanks! I finished all late yesterday and it looks like I'm done in time; no damage from the cold is evident. Last challenge (hot water lines) was solved when I found another valve "hiding" behind a heat duct near the hot water heater. I'll post my checklist with photos shortly. Think I should do it in a separate post?

Ed
Thor Citation Sprinter 24SR

Top Bottom