Fighting trouble code P2783

abdlock

So i have a reoccurring P2783 code in my 2007 diesel

Just flushed the trans and replaced the conductor plate and new plug filter etc..

I've been monitoring with a autel and the trans tempt hits about 86 celsius

I have a problem when driving every once and awhile it will lose acceleration and drop down to about 40MPH when driving...If i lift off the accelerator and re-apply i can get back up to speed 55-60ish

Depending on the hill sometimes i need to do this 2-3 times to make it over..No check engine light or trouble codes for engine

when this cut hits the boost is limited to 1700 ish HPA...
1052.0 HPA at idle..Max boost around 2800 HPA

Auto says I'm not in limp mode

Otherwise it drives around with plenty of pep....EGR was cleaned recently and everything seems good

This van came from the original owner and has had this issue since new...

lindenengineering

I have to ask how/where did you extract this code and with what?

From my position I call this the "garden path code" i.e being led up it by incorrect info!
See if you can get a Sprinter specific scanner on it.
Then I might be able to help.
Cheers Dennis

lindenengineering

I have to ask how/where did you extract this code and with what?

From my position I call this the "garden path code" i.e being led up it by incorrect info!
See if you can get a Sprinter specific scanner on it.
Then I might be able to help.
Cheers Dennis

abdlock

Going in under make/model then going to TCM and reading codes..

First code with basic OBDII scanner came back with a P0715 which made me service the trans and replace the conductor plate and plug

Now No CEL only hard code of P2783 coming back after about 20 miles of mixed driving..

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Abdlock
This frankly is the issue wth none specific scan tools!
As good as that tool is, and we have one it very useful; every so often the thing will send you up the garden path with a wrong code or description.
That essentially why we use something that is MB specific and expensive in these ciorcumstances. As a pro shop we cannot spend customer's money trying to find a code that doesn't exist or fix something that didin't need fixing.

Sometimes we have plugged something like a Snap On tool to the rig and got the right code and worked from there.

The transmission temp is about right 86 c is about right.
So unless the transmssion circuit board is giving out some trouble its time to start doing some more invasive tests to find the issue..or use another scan tool for comparison like a Snappy.

The generic OBD 2 fault description for that fault is High B clutch applied pressure.
Dennis

Last edited:

abdlock

This tool does most everything a snap-on modis does....We also use the Starscan tool

We decided against the modis due to a local repair shop having a bunch of issues and calling us to help and we've been successful with the autel

watching all the live monitors and the rig not showing signs of anything else im not sure where to start.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Yes it does & I won't argue about that, however not all scan tools are created equal and they have patches in them --as you have discovered .

When we are sometimes faced with a problem (as you have with this vehicle) and we don't have a factory scanner like say a Rolls Royce; we have five different scanners to throw at it.
Mass gun salvo approach if you will!
If there is a consensus of "scan opinion", then we go with the majority verdict.

Now we have both Snappy Solus Pro and Verus but since they have the same program we use Solus Pro as a confirmation for a quicky . We even use it sometimes up against a factory scanner to ensure it isn't lying to us---Don't laugh it happens!

It sometimes helps to go Global OBD2 since you can sometimes get an indication of the fault area and compare with the Vin specific scan.

In any case I need to mention we don't have problems with Snappy Tools but they do have patches and areas that they won't access the MB PIDS on Re gen and ADBlue stuff for example. Now the Maxidas has patches in other areas just as other scanners we have but we know their weakness and their strengths and so we use them occordingly.

My suggestion would be to try a Snap On on it for a second opinion. We did the same for quite a while before I ponied up the cash ($7500) for my MB and Landrover updates which allowed me to access more MB PIDS on Re-gen and Adblue stuff.. Try it yoiu might be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers Dennis

lindenengineering

Questions with the Snappy tool!
When was the tool last updated?--read important!

What program were you in?
Chrysler /Dodge or Mercedes.

What tool was the "Snappy " you used to interrogate? Solus/Solus Pro or Verus etc.
If the former what identity keys were you using and what interface plug were you selecting to connect to the Mil Socket of this vehicle?
Dennis

lindenengineering

Vic
Well it might not be the obvious but scan tools have to be updated because codes & PID access which were sometime generic/applicable to those vehicles in question are/or were not in the original program when the tool was last updated but now are!

Scan tool manufactures (well the good ones) constantly update the scan programs, hence buying a tool which on the face of it will do "everything" today will be better tomorrow after an update.

Examples:-
With Autologic I hook the scanner weekly to the main server in the UK & USA it auto updates the tool, in my case scan programs for MB and Landrover/Jaguar.
It also downloads to their server our data log from my tool. All the scan activity we have been doing since it was last hooked up the to the server.

With the Toyota Techstream it just does "it" since you have to go online to access the app through a lap top and main server in Japan.
(I often wish MB/LR/Jag could emulate that idea for $1100/year--many problems solved--too easy I suppose)

With tools like Snap On, you buy annual updates and what you discover is that what you couldn't access with the old program you can do now with the new update subscription.

I suppose what I saw as funny in the Chrysler section is that T1N Sprinter that was about 4th down on the model line up, suddenly went to last position on page two scroll down! Then you had to use a Euro cable and Euro I/D keys to access it or else it auto defaulted to Global OBD2 with less pid access!
For the 2007 on, NCV3 models we had to use the Domestic adapter with domestic access key
for the older Solus model line up whereas our Verus did in in auto access mode. A bit confusing when you have both tools for the Techs to use and accustomed to one program.

Then came 2010 on models; the scan tool wouldn't access anything 2010 onwards Sprinter in Chrysler mode!
We had to switch screens to Euro models & MB specific but use the domestic cable socket. With the a Euro ID key on the Solus models to access program was at first confusing. If you didn't get it right or unfamiliar with the tool from the "get go" it was "chutes or snakes and ladders back to Global OBD2 and limited PID access". That's why Snap On Tools do regular training courses on scanning techniques and product use info as tool support.

Basically that was the motive in my last post on this subject and ARE we accessing ALL the info necessary for a quick and satisfactory fix!
Dennis

abdlock

Sorry to bring up the obvious, but maybe the root cause/problem(s) has still not been eliminated?

vic
That's why I made the post..looking for other ways or things to look into since I'm not sure where to go next

It was a modis scanner that's up to date since it was my snap-on dealers personal that he messed with while my truck was in for service next door

Top Bottom