PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Door failures- Suggestions please

Mortarsprayer
11-09-2014, 01:58 AM
Hello Friends,
I have a 2002 2500 cargo van that is slowly falling apart but still wonderful fun as long as I can fix things fast enough to stay ahead of the game.

Recently the inside pull latch on the drivers door broke internally. I started using the passenger side door.
Yesterday the sliding door required pulling on the inside latch at the same time as the outside latch to open. Today it stopped all together.

I am running out of working doors!

I have been looking through the archives and not finding these exact problems.

Can someone point me to directions on removing the front door panels?
Has there been a master kit assembled to rebuild the doors and start out fresh instead of chasing it over and extended period?

If possible I would like to order all the parts to update the doors back to new to save some time.

Your thoughts and valuable suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Nolan

NORTON
11-09-2014, 03:43 AM
Hello Friends,
I have a 2002 2500 cargo van that is slowly falling apart but still wonderful fun as long as I can fix things fast enough to stay ahead of the game.

Recently the inside pull latch on the drivers door broke internally. I started using the passenger side door.
Yesterday the sliding door required pulling on the inside latch at the same time as the outside latch to open. Today it stopped all together.

I am running out of working doors!

I have been looking through the archives and not finding these exact problems.

Can someone point me to directions on removing the front door panels?
Has there been a master kit assembled to rebuild the doors and start out fresh instead of chasing it over and extended period?

If possible I would like to order all the parts to update the doors back to new to save some time.

Your thoughts and valuable suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Nolan

Nolan, Go to T1N Data base, then T1N service manual, click on the link, then index of sprinter near the bottom look for Door panel removal.

fwaggle
11-09-2014, 03:55 AM
I just managed to fix one of my sliders - the T1N sliders are a mess of moving parts and any of them gumming up will stop it functioning properly. I took both ends out (the bit behind the handle, and the latch end at the rear of the door), cleaned it all up, and sprayed the **** out of it with lock lube, then when I put it all back together it functions awesome (for now anyway).

I'll do the other one tomorrow and take some pics if I remember.

Mortarsprayer
11-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Thank you both!
Norton, I have spent days enjoying & searching through the forum posts. Somehow I have never noticed the data base!
Oh my goodness, Now I have so much more reading to do. Thank you!

Fwaggle, The whole mechanism on the slider feels spongy. I am looking forward to poking at it more tomorrow. It sounds like we will be working on similar things. I'll keep you posted if I find anything useful.

Nolan

NORTON
11-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Nolan, Look in 05 service manual at Body then Doors you will find adjustments for the Sliding door which are important for operation and locking.

Mortarsprayer
11-17-2014, 02:00 AM
Hello Fwaggle & Friends,
It is probably time to post a follow up to help others that might find this thread.
The driver's door problem was caused by a snapped plastic retainer that connects the rod to the lever. Easy fix.

The slider is more interesting. There were several things that needed to be addressed. The pivot pin for the inside lever had slid most way out. A wee bit of JB Weld is now holding the pin while still letting it move freely. Then there was bent parts inside the main metal latch. I could have bent it back and welded a little reinforcement on it but we went to McCoy Sprinter and picked up a new one. The door is now opening up super easy.
also found a crack in the back locking area of the slider. I found that Tony from www.smallfleetparts.com Has a reinforcement plate that is used to service FedEx Sprinters. It is Part number 2546-msc (SIDE DOOR latch reinforcement) tony@smallfleetparts.com
Next week we will add the reinforcement.

Feeling like we were on a roll, we moved to the rear doors and found another door frame crack around the left door latch. Fortunately that is another known weakness with a solution. Part number 2554 is the rear latch reinforcement. We also ordered one from Small Fleet Parts and will add it next week.

Now that doors are more secure the noise level has dropped significantly.

Thanks to everyone that reached out on the forum and on the side. I appreciate your help and encouragement.
Nolan