2006 TIN Radiator Removal/Install Questions

pc0des

Due to transmission fluid leaking from the radiator in my 2006 Sprinter I am planning on swapping out the radiator later this week. When I was looking through the Sprinter Service Manual I noticed that the directions for the Radiator Removal suggest to remove the fan assembly, but in the directions for the install it doesn't mention installing the fan assembly. I am without a fan tool to properly remove the fan and was wondering if anyone has been in this same situation. I would like to perform the radiator removal without removing the fan if it is possible. It looks to me like the only thing that may be in the way is the fan shroud itself and not the actual fan assembly.

Anything helps!

Thanks in advance!

teamprovan

They must be talking about the Second fan in front of the Rad. The electric one must come off but I see no reason to take the engine one off unless you do the water pump at the same time. That maybe a good idea on an aging motor. Anyway the Shroud can come out with the Rad with the fan still on the motor.

pc0des

They must be talking about the Second fan in front of the Rad. The electric one must come off but I see no reason to take the engine one off unless you do the water pump at the same time. That maybe a good idea on an aging motor. Anyway the Shroud can come out with the Rad with the fan still on the motor.
Thanks for the input. This is exactly what I was thinking myself. I am just uncertain as to why they have it included in the steps to remove the radiator. I see no way of it been necessary. The fan clutch and water pump are in great condition, or I would just go ahead and replace them while I have everything out of the way. It would be much easer than prying the radiator forward and busting my knuckles.

stevenking

Do the pump because I think you have to pull the radiator to replace water pump?or have special tool there's one bolt in the pump my mechanic could not take out hard lesson learned replaced the radiator 5 months later pump failed double work on a lighter wallet

Do the pump because I think you have to pull the radiator to replace water pump?or have special tool there's one bolt in the pump my mechanic could not take out hard lesson learned replaced the radiator 5 months later pump failed double work on a lighter wallet
:idunno:

I didn't pull my radiator or have any special tools. No scraped knuckles which I remember either.

People suggest some other methods than mine in the thread so you can choose your poison.

T1N OM647 Engine Water Pump Replacement
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6228

:cheers: vic

cahaak

The fan does not need to be removed and to be honest, if your water pump is working fine, I would leave it. As Vic noted above, you can replace your water pump without pulling the radiator. You do remove the fan with viscous clutch first, but it does not require a special tool, you just slip something over the end of the allen wrench for removal. The fan shroud can be pulled up and out if you loosen up a few things first. When you replace the radiator, make sure that you do a good job cleaning between it, the intercooler, and the AC condensor. They get full of stuff after a while and you can't just flush it out from the front.

Chris

Top Bottom