No Power Sounds Like Exhaust Leak

la90043

LA90043
Just started today previous symptoms were none. There is no power and sounds like an exhaust leak. Muffler is pretty cool but the DPF is pretty much way hotter. Engine compartment too is hot. There are no lights at instrument panel indicating anything. Opinions please thank you. Its a 2007 3.0L & my name is Rob

Last edited:

sailquik

What year is your Sprinter NCV3?
How many miles?
How much idling does your Sprinter do?
Might be time to have the DPF regenerated at full service Sprinter authorized shop.
Sounds as if the DPF might be pugged up.
Roger

sailquik

Hate to ask, but what oil have you been using for your 10k oil/filter changes?
Hope it's the low SPASH (low sulphur, phosphorus and ash) the meets MB BEVO 229.51.
Here's a link to how this oil was researched and developed:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...esel-Engine-Oil-DaimlerChryslers#.VD3saGd0zX5
Your symptoms....hot manifold....hot DPF....cooler exhaust....seem to indicate the exhaust is flowing to the DPF, and not beyond it.
Hope this helps,
Roger

I agree with Nelson Sprinter.

Have you inspected the exhaust and found a place it can leak out and make noise? Any signs of soot?

If not, next check all your charge air system (hoses, clamps, etc.) for leaks.

vic

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Hate to ask, but what oil have you been using for your 10k oil/filter changes?
Hope it's the low SPASH (low sulphur, phosphorus and ash) the meets MB BEVO 229.51.
Here's a link to how this oil was researched and developed:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...esel-Engine-Oil-DaimlerChryslers#.VD3saGd0zX5
Your symptoms....hot manifold....hot DPF....cooler exhaust....seem to indicate the exhaust is flowing to the DPF, and not beyond it.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Hey Roger
I just had a delivery of MB engine oil from the dealer, now 229.52 coming in 6 packs not 12 bottle cases. "Its more expensive too! What's new".
Poet and didn't know it!
Cheers Dennis

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
For LA90043, it sure does sound like leak in charge-air, but this should throw codes and turn on the CEL.

An exhaust leak as such should not cause power reduction, so thus less likely. On my 2008 Navion over 2007 dodge with 100k, the exhaust system looks nearly new from the outside, very little corrosion on there.

At this mileage, a dpf replacement or cleaning may be needed, and I wonder if a nearly clogged one which is no longer regenerating properly could cause this, but again there should be codes and a CEL if so.

Be very interested to hear what it turns out to be.

Regarding oil, on my last oil change this August local MB in Nanaimo BC put in 0W30 229.52 oil at C$11.50/litre, whereas on the previous one this Feb 2014, they provided ESP mobil 1 5-W40 at 12.65/litre, so for me the new spec oil was cheaper, not sure what brand they used.

I should add - the total price charged for oil, lube, and filter was 211 in Aug, 226 canadian in Feb, which is MUCH better than what I have been hearing some of the US Dealers are charging, even with much lower costs for the oil.

la90043

LA90043
found soot behind egr cooler. steel tube broke at base of steel pipe from turbo exhaust to egr cooler. that is/was the exhaust leak noise. had that replaced by independent European shop mechanic.

what are your opinions?

Pipe blew off because dpf is clogged and exhaust looking for the easiest pass out?

as mentioned before. dpf is hot hot hot and everything after that can be touched by hand with no problem.

Regarding question of type of oil I use for motor. It is the mobil1 0-40 M. The correct oil. thank you for asking too. Rob

lindenengineering

Your are not the first owner to have this pipe break at the flange.

For some reason I have changed out 5 of them this years where the flange is welded/fused to the pipe.
We found it by smoking the exhaust with a machine.
Dennis

la90043

LA90043
so tell me, what is your opinion please.

Pipe blew off because dpf is clogged and exhaust looking for the easiest pass out?

as mentioned before. dpf is hot hot hot and everything after that can be touched by hand with no problem.

Your are not the first owner to have this pipe break at the flange.

For some reason I have changed out 5 of them this years where the flange is welded/fused to the pipe.
We found it by smoking the exhaust with a machine.
Dennis

:idunno:

By design the DPF needs heat at times to operate properly.

I doubt that the engine can produce enough exhaust pressure to fracture a pipe unless it is weakened by rust or corrosion.

Welding pipes changes the structure of the metal at the weld and can make it susceptible to stress cracking at the interfaces. Did the pipe crack at a weld? If yes, it may be related to vibration or poor support transferring stress to that section of pipe. It was not likely exhaust pressures.

vic

showkey

I do not have my Sprinter availble to look at..........but on other engines with a plugged exhaust system or CAT .......the exhaust pressure will open the spring loaded flex joint under acceleration.........then close and run "OK" at idle and sound normal.
Not sure if Sprinter has the spring joint, but it does have a flex joint and gaskets and "ball" or flange joints.

These are the parts that would be the first suspects:

Generic pic....

Last edited:

la90043

LA90043
Yes it did break at the weld. But anyways this weekend im taking out the dpf and im personally going to do a hi pressure water wash out of it.

Any information experience and opinions on that is highly appreciated. TY Rob.

la90043

LA90043
Interesting regarding that flex joint operation. Pressure release.

Others here should know of the pressure release joints on Sprinters. Interesting and creative. Ive seen those flex hoses on exhaust systems before. Never thought they expand and release pressure.

I do not have my Sprinter availble to look at..........but on other engines with a plugged exhaust system or CAT .......the exhaust pressure will open the spring loaded flex joint under acceleration.........then close and run "OK" at idle and sound normal.
Not sure if Sprinter has the spring joint, but it does have a flex joint and gaskets and "ball" or flange joints.

These are the parts that would be the first suspects:

Generic pic....

Belmont

Here is the tube that broke. Turbo to egr cooler
Hi kids! I have an 08 2500 3.0 in my shop with the same broken pipe shown in the above post. Our customer bought the van 1.5 years ago. Shortly after the purchase, this same pipe broke and it was obvious that it had been recently replaced. the support straps were not anchored so we figured that was what caused the early failure. We replaced the pipe and bolted the supports in place. The truck came back 5 weeks ago with the same issue. We replaced it again (OE part) and it just broke again. Always same place as shown in previous post. Any ideas?? I was thinking of having a welder beef up the area where it is breaking and when it is installed, heating the pipe up a bit with a torch to relax it into a position where it's happy.
Thanks for any input!

will902

Waldo_Sprinter_Van
Hi, any updates on this thread?
I have a 2007 Frieghtliner Sprinter very similar to Andy’s; almost identical symptoms. Just wondering what the update on this was.
Thanks
Will

Top Bottom