Flickering dashboard illumination

ironwood

I have a 2005 Sprinter 3500 configured as a 2006 Winnebago View RV. I have a problem with the dashboard gauge illumination. The gauge illumination flickers between no illumination of the gauges where the gear selector (and odometer & temp gauge) are brightly lit, to the normal illumination where the speedometer and the tachometer are lit up and the gear selector light is dimmed to match the brightness of the gauge lighting. This flickering is erratic, sometimes back and forth every second or two, more of the time the illumination is off and then flickers on occasionally. The dash light rheostat still controls the brightness of the gauge illumination (I can see this when the lights is working for a few seconds) and does not seem to be the cause of the problem. The flickering seems the same with the full headlight system turned on or off.
My first thought is this is a loose power feed wire or ground connection for the dashboard lights, but I don't know where exactly :thinking:to look for such connections. My second thought is that if there is a light sensor that controls the dashboard illumination as being off during daylight hours and on during darkness, that this sensor or it's control may be malfunctioning.
Has anyone got ideas or experience on what the cause is and how to fix it?
Thanks
Terry, Harwood, ON :thinking:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I had a similar problem. I ended up pulling the cover over the instrument console and (using electrical contact spray cleaner - purchased at an auto parts store) pulled every cable and spray cleaned all the contacts (there are 15 or so cables there). The 2002/2003's don't leave the headlights on all the time once started - I have a 2002.

On later Sprinters, the dash is lit up as a result of you starting the Sprinter (and your headlights turned on).

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
If I remember correctly (doing Vics trick now..) There is some correlation with the side amber running lights and speedo illumination. Its a kind of warning a bulb circuit is out / problem in the marker circuit, sounds like there could be a shorting cable / bulb problem perhaps in the marker light circuit. Maybe even corroded fuse or loose holder syndrome in the dreaded under column fuse board - May be worth checking.

I wish I could remember the full details of this, but I have not imagined it!:crazy:

this is kind of it but not exactly what I had remembered, there was a more definitive if this condition happens its this type answer..
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10922

Steve

Last edited:

Top Bottom