Mirrors and/or door

JB3D

So the company I work for has a 2004 Sprinter 2500. The driver-side mirror does not stay in place. As you're driving, the wind pushes the mirror in towards the vehicle. In order to look in the rear view mirror in an attempt to change lanes, you have to literally reach out of the window and push the mirror out. As soon as you let go, it comes right back in, at speeds as low as 35 mph. So it definitely needs to be replaced. I was just wondering if any one knew the particular part that I might need or maybe even where I might find it. I've attached a photo of the mirror for reference. It is the large metal loop arm mirror. I deeply apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Attachments

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Sprinter Salvage yards will have these (altho, yours looks different than any I have seen before). You will need a long 45 Torx bit (4 inches) to get one of the bolts off (it's under a plastic button cover). Look online for Sprinter Mirrrors (Ebay has some, but not the exact same design). 2002 thru 2006 NAFTA models have the same mount points.

It looks like someone grafted on a different tubing/mirror assembly after damaging the original Sprinter mirror.

Last edited:

JB3D

If you notice in the Sprinter Wiki, where it talks about the 4 different types of OEM mirrors, the fourth type mentioned is called the "metal loop arm", which is what I have. They look exactly alike. I don't doubt that they're rare.

lindenengineering

Why fanny about!
Simply call the dealer with your Vin number and get the right mirror and arm!

I have a Sprinter fleet client who quite frankly farted about like this trying to see rearward and doing the windy truckers arm shuffle.:thumbdown: trying to save a buck!

Well one day of course he hit a motorcyclist off the road who was overtaking, which got him and his driver into a big heap of trouble!

That $200 odd expense for a "propah MB Mirror" is small beans in payments to attorneys and this insurance company let alone the CDOT inspection AND rectification costs.

I bet there is an attorney in Denver at the moment eying a new E class thanks to this bit of negligence!
Anyway for those that have never had a bike between their legs at 100mph plus think bike for God's sake!
Dennis

JB3D

I've called the dealership and the only mirror they were able to pull up was the all-plastic mirror. Unfortunately, that's not the particular kind that we have. I was hoping some one here could help.

JB3D

Do the mirrors mount in a universal manner? For instance, could you swap from the parabolic mirror to the tow type mirror by simply swapping them out? Or do they mount differently to the door?

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
They are a universal mount. Any T1N door mirror assembly for that side will fit (you will need a long 45 Torx to get one of the bolts out - you can't use a 45 on an extension - it won't fit thru the hole).

JB3D

Thank you very much for the rather quick reply. I was wondering, how can I tell that the Sprinter I have is a T1N and that the Sprinter the mirror is coming off of is also a T1N?

lindenengineering

OK
Button hole your MB supplier.
The assembly comes loose but the principal parts are
Arm Assy:- A 000 8111 48 30

Mirror Big'un:- A 901 810 00 19
Mirror:- A 901 810 00 09

This chassis (vin) # you gave me is for a T1n model which is knoin in MB parts circles as the 901 to 903 chassis builds.
Hope that helps
Dennis

stevenking

Good luck ordering that mirror all separate parts I have the same mirror long arm coming out of Wichita all new assembly about 400 bucks

rbrennick

Those "larger than normal" hoop frames are usually found on the 3500 cab chassis models-
I'm sure that I have a spare assembly with the proper mirror. Looks like a non-powered mirror, correct?
I will check that the adjustment "teeth" that keep the hoop stationary yet enable it to move by hand (your problem) is good.
I will PM the original poster my findings if I can assist. Location of poster?
Thx, Rich- Michigan

JB3D

Those "larger than normal" hoop frames are usually found on the 3500 cab chassis models-
I'm sure that I have a spare assembly with the proper mirror. Looks like a non-powered mirror, correct?
I will check that the adjustment "teeth" that keep the hoop stationary yet enable it to move by hand (your problem) is good.
I will PM the original poster my findings if I can assist. Location of poster?
Thx, Rich- Michigan
I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Top Bottom