Need some help. Stuck in Albuquerque.

4-Day

Our new 2500 4cyl. 2014 Sprinter van, 7700 miles, has started stalling at red lights. Not all but some. It's like it does not want to idle or idle is to low. The RPM needle sits between 8 and 10 on the tach. Then it starts to dip and then stall. Van runs fine on highway and roads. At the dealership and they are not figuring it out. Any suggestions I can relay to the sprinter tech. Anyone have the same issue and knows a solution. We have been here for 6 hours. Thanks, Chip.

Ah-h... When you're back on the road be sure to take only a left turn Doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TUwHTfOOU

vic

P.S. - You might take a quick look and carefully check all the hoses and clamps for tightness from the air filter box to the intake manifold. It wouldn't be the first time that a brand new Sprinter had odd operating problems which traced to a loose clamp.

I know... the experts have ordered a new fuel rail.

Good luck.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

I'm assuming if the fuel filter were clogged with debris or water from bad fuel, there would be some kind of warning lights and such...

4-Day

Update, there is no fuel rails in the USA. So they have to order from Germany. 3-5 days or 10. Loaning me a SUV so I can go home till they get it fixed.

chromisdesigns

Update, there is no fuel rails in the USA. So they have to order from Germany. 3-5 days or 10. Loaning me a SUV so I can go home till they get it fixed.
Apparently MBA never heard of next-flight-out shipping. Ten days, yikes. This kind of thing does bother me some. Pays to have a good rv road insurance coverage that will pay housing costs, etc if you get jammed up on a trip, I suppose.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
There are used parts available from wreckers/salvage yards. I am running an EGR from a salvage yard (it required a good cleaning first) - works fine. Probably not many 2014's in junk yards yet, but the earlier V6 engines likely use the same part.

Last edited:

showkey

Or taking one off a truck in stock...........many manufactures will do this when a car is down for no part in stock. Dealer gets paid twice under warranty for the extra labor involved.

:thinking::thinking: that being said......fuel rail bad??????.......it is pipe?:idunno:

Sprinter SS

Are they sure its the fuel rail! Its a pipe, but does have a bypass regulator on it. Bummer to wait 10 days and its something else....

Or taking one off a truck in stock...........many manufactures will do this when a car is down for no part in stock. Dealer gets paid twice under warranty for the extra labor involved.

:thinking::thinking: that being said......fuel rail bad??????.......it is pipe?:idunno:
Good comments and I agree completely for what that may be worth.

I expect that the fuel rail design is the same as the OM647 fuel rail which has an integral fuel pressure solenoid. The fuel pressure solenoid on the OM647 cannot be changed out as a separate part.

vic

4-Day

We did ask for the dealership to take the part off of a van that was on the lot. They asked management and they said no do to liability. We also asked about a junk yard and they said if you want to go search you can but they will not. The sensor in the fuel rail is what is bad and unfortunately it is not a separate part you have to get the fuel rail. The dealership did state that they did some special order to get it here faster. The key really seemed to be if Germany had the part in stock.

So yesterday became the Albuquerque Challenge. How much stuff can you pack into a ML 550 SUV, that was loaned to us by the dealership to get home, from your Sprinter van. They also paid for a night in a hotel. There is something called a trip interrupter fund. We give them the reciepts and they submit them to Mercedes Benz.
So we got my lovely wife, me, two labs, Yeti SB66, Yeti SB95(another reason not to get a 29er, packing those cart wheels takes a lot of space) tools, pump, bike cloths, regular cloths, helmets, bike shoes, dog food, camelbacks, pillow into the vehicle.
And yes Vic, we turned left atlbuquerque to head home to Colorado Springs.:smirk:

20141007_082737.jpg
20141007_082608.jpg

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments.

4-Day

Carolann,
The pups stayed with us. When the dealer was figuring out what was not working on the van we asked for a loaner and they gave us a sedan. We went to breakfast and the pups got to sit in the court yard with us as we ate. We then went to a dog wash and did a self serve dog wash. We then went back to the Mercedes dealer and sat in the waiting room. They had dog biscuits. That night we stayed at the La Quntia hotel and they allowed dogs. They road in the back seat of the ML 550. I stored some of our stuff on the floor to make the seat area bigger for them. They got cheated the most. The dogs went from a queen size bed in the Sprinter to the back seat of a SUV.

... The dogs went from a queen size bed in the Sprinter to the back seat of a SUV.
With all of my dogs being with their pack is much more important than the size of the den. If they were with you, then they were happy.

Safe travels.

vic

lindenengineering

Well sounds like good news --Lufthansa!

This might put a smile on your face!
Back in the 1970's I was doing big truck service support between Leibniz and Tabriz.

Working with a joker called Les we were fixing an Eaton Roadranger 13 speed transmission on the side of the road outside Plovdiv in the snow.

When! A transit minibus pulled up full of Pakis !
The driver in Paki English said "Oh please which is the quickest way to Frankfurt?
Les instantly answered pointing to a jet flying high overhead with vapor trails.

Lufthansa jet liner mate you will be there in an an hour 'n half from Sophia.
Poor Paki looked confused "deferabley" not what he wanted to hear!
Lancashire English cocker!:lol:
Dennis

Top Bottom