Driveshaft(?) Vibration at Low Load

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
On a recent road trip I noticed vibrations at speeds above ~80km/h (50mph), but only when there was little or no load on the drivetrain. My Ultragauge indicated an LOD between 25% to 35% or so, which is the ~LOD when the engine is idling. I also shifted into neutral & the vibration persisted.

Either pressing on the accelerator, or removing my foot from the accelerator caused the vibrations to stop. Plus there were no 'squealing' or other noises that I could hear at any time.

This doesn't correspond to what I have read here wrt the symptoms when there are bad driveshaft support bearing(s).

Could bad U-Joints be the problem?

Or ????

My 2007 NCV3 is a 170" wheelbase version.

wmlog

Park your vehicle on level ground and block the wheels. Don't start the vehicle, but put the shifter in neutral. Lay on your back under your Sprinter and wiggle the drive shaft and look for anything loose. Bad u-joint bearings might show rust.

:thumbup:

blakej59

I've noticed this same vibration for years and many miles. I hate to drive it with this vibration but it's never turned into a problem. To reiterate your point, it doesn't happen when pushing on accelerator or taking foot off the accelerator. Only when in very light, speed-maintaining power.

Jim
2007 144" CDI

bcislander

If it's not a problem, it's not a problem!

:bash:
Yes, but very noticeable vibrations cannot be good & I suspect that something will eventually 'give'. I don't want to run the risk of something happening while on a long trip in my RV. I was hoping that someone would be able to point me to a likely 'culprit'.

blakej59, how many miles do you have on your van? Has the vibration always been there, or has it developed over the years? Mine seems to have become more noticeable as the odo rolls on.

I guess that I can always just keep my foot on the accelerator :smilewink:

danthewolf007

Its the carrier bearing....there was alot of vans that had this problem back in 2008. If you reallllly want it to stop get a rebuildable and lubeable drive shaft.i know of one place in okc,ok and out on the west coast that rebuild the sprinter drive shafts.

wmlog

I replaced my drive shaft (all 3 sections) for about $900 with a new drive shaft with carrier bearings from Drive Shafts of Oklahoma. New MB shafts are no better than the original parts and cannot be serviced.

My earlier point was that, if you are OK with ongoing vibration problems, then don't fix the problem - your decision. Faults have a way of getting worse, and you can always wait to fix it when it falls apart!

blakej59

I've noticed this vibration for years. van has 130,000 miles. can't say when I first noticed it but it was prior to 50,000 miles. I haven't been under the van for a long time but I have in my head that it's the long van that has the carrier bearing issue (not the short van). Am I wrong?

In my case, the vibration is so slight, I probably didn't notice it for a long time and I think it's more of a "loaded van" situation. It's more of a harmonic hum or buzz.

Jim

bcislander

I replaced my drive shaft (all 3 sections) for about $900 with a new drive shaft with carrier bearings from Drive Shafts of Oklahoma. New MB shafts are no better than the original parts and cannot be serviced.

My earlier point was that, if you are OK with ongoing vibration problems, then don't fix the problem - your decision. Faults have a way of getting worse, and you can always wait to fix it when it falls apart!

I'm not OK with the vibration problems, which is why I started this thread. I'm concerned that the vibrations will cause problems in other areas, such as transmission or differential seals/bearings, not to mention a catastrophic failure many km from home. I haven't had a chance to get under the van to investigate further.

A new, fully serviceable driveshaft has some appeal, but being in Canada usually means that reasonable (i.e.$900) costs become unreasonable. No one here has mentioned a Canadian source, nor have I looked. If, as is likely, the support bearings are the problem, it wouldn't be worth it to also change the driveshaft, IMO.

Thanks to all contributors for your comments.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Steve...

MB has revised both the hanger bearing AND the drive-shaft for the resolve.

The first years drive-shaft was too light or unbalanced, and were not able to stabilize themselves with the load changes/forces occurring between acceleration and deceleration (creating excess force on the bearing). Coupled with a hanger bearing that was unsealed and under spec's, our issues occur(ed).

Best change both.

wmlog

I just looked at the driveshaft on my 2014 - yeah, it appears a little heavier than that on my 2008, but it is still 'unserviceable'.

A local transmission shop might have a line on building a new driveshaft. Search 'driveshafts' and see what you can find. I'm sure a Canadian shop can custom make one. The best scenario would be that the entire drive shaft was machine balanced after manufacture and/or service where u-joints were replaced. The OEM shafts just get replaced as entire units, for a far higher cost.

:thumbup:

DSMTurbo2

Searching around for my issue, this seems to be it. Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have a 2008 170 wb 2500 with a harmonic vibration that comes in sharply at 50mph on the nose and starts to taper out at 60-65mph it's still noticeable but faint after that. I have not heavily loaded the van but the noise does not seem to be effected by hard acceleration, being loaded down up hill, deceleration or coasting in neutral. Ive ruled out tires as those were just replaced with new and balanced. I purchased the van in this condition about 2 months ago with 296k on the clock. The underside of the van is in immaculate shape rear carrier looks like you could eat off it, front looks slightly more dingy, but I wouldn't say rusty at all. It did sound like a balance issue or carrier bearing to me right away. Was assuming it would be serviceable though. I did check the driveshaft for play (although it was with the van in park) and all seemed very snug.

I will chock the wheels tomorrow and give everything a shake with the transmission in neutral. Might take a bit of a drive and hit both bearings with an infrared pyrometer to see if anything seems way out of whack.

Has anyone had any luck spraying the bearings with a penetrating oil or lubricant to try to get a change in tone and help in diagnosis?

Are the Carrier Bearings themselves replaceable, or is it time for a whole new driveshaft?

Hope this info helps some others.

Thanks!
Erik

regor69pg

On 10/5/14 bcislander posted concerns relative to:
Driveshaft(?) Vibration at Low Load. I have since read many post relative to this subject. Their have been several examples and offered resolutions. May I ask if during the interim since subject post was posted here; has a corrective action been found. My symptoms are exactly as stated in the bcislander post of 10/5/14? I purchased a 2008 Pleasureway Ascent TS in Oct. of 2019 with 28,000 mi. “The vibration on my Sprinter during various speeds occurs when engine is neither accelerating or de-accelerating, but; upon accelerating or de-accelerating the vibration goes away. Thank you all! I joined your forum today. I welcome e mail.

D

Deleted member 50714

Are you yokes running on the same plane???

Proper Prop-shaft assembly, balancing and geometry is crucial to safe and vibration-free operation. Verify specifications for your MY.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bcislander

Driveshaft(?) Vibration at Low Load. I have since read many post relative to this subject. Their have been several examples and offered resolutions. May I ask if during the interim since subject post was posted here; has a corrective action been found. My symptoms are exactly as stated in the bcislander post of 10/5/14? I purchased a 2008 Pleasureway Ascent TS in Oct. of 2019 with 28,000 mi. “The vibration on my Sprinter during various speeds occurs when engine is neither accelerating or de-accelerating, but; upon accelerating or de-accelerating the vibration goes away. Thank you all! I joined your forum today. I welcome e mail.
FWIW, my van still does the same thing i.e. nothing has changed with quite a few more kms on the odo and a transmission and torque converter fluid change.

There is no vibration (rumble strip noise?) as long as there is some load on the drivetrain. I've decided the problem is either in the driveshaft or, more likely, the torque converter lockup system. When the vibration occurs, I will accelerate or decelerate (whichever is more appropriate) and no more vibration. I tried using my Autel to monitor the torque converter duty cycle, but was unable to decipher the results. I might try again once the van is back on the road for the summer season.

NBB

Open bearings vulnerable to dust is a well known and at this point ancient problem with 2007-2009. It was well documented here along with MB bulletins. The driveshaft is sold as an assy - so go get a new one.

EDIT - Orion is correct, I think, I believe it’s just the carrier bearings, not the ujoint or whole driveshaft - but the entire thing is an assy? It’s been forever.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
On my 2008, the 'fluttering' occurred when vehicle was transitioning from acceleration to deceleration, and at highway speed. The driveshaft and carrier-bearing were replace and the fluttering was no longer.

MBC

Mobile Mark

I hope you're still pleased with your found solution.
I'm currently in So. Cal. I have a new 2019 Cargo VS30 3L 6C 170 3500 XD 4x4 w/5,200 miles. With a HUGE completed camper upfit invested. Recognized problem 1000 miles ago on trip under load at about between 1900-2100 RPM in at least 1st & second gear (7 speed auto). Further concerns would be that it might have lurking issues with torque converter, trans, Diff & Transfer Case. MB USA seems to be now help. MB Dealer seems to rely on Eye, ear and feel for what is a satisfactory fix. :(. After a week at the shop, they say it's done because they've performed all that MB says to do and the vibration seems to be gone - but no meters, equipment or calibration tools used!!!???
This has been a 1 month endeavor. Service bulletins from service manager say that it's a known issue since 01/2019 with no known sure fire fix. Just trial and error with some never solved. I don't know if I'm in that latter group of unsolved even though I'm told it's "solved" with no real proof I guess. At this point, I may be willing to have a new 3 piece drive shaft installed. Yes, I know this may certainly affect my warranty. It's after the warranty period and the other components going as well that is an additional concern.
I've googled the solution above "$900 with a new drive shaft with carrier bearings from Drive Shafts of Oklahoma." Thank you. However, I'm not finding them. Would you be able to provide their website or otherwise some contact info??

Last edited:

MBC

Mobile Mark
Its the carrier bearing....there was alot of vans that had this problem back in 2008. If you reallllly want it to stop get a rebuildable and lubeable drive shaft.i know of one place in okc,ok and out on the west coast that rebuild the sprinter drive shafts.
From my earlier post, I'd also be interested in the one on the West Coast. TY

turbo911

mb dodge and freightliner drive shafts and carrier bearings are NOT rebuildable. got my 2 piece shaft rebuildable ujoints and heavy duty carrier bearings and balanced driveshaft out of texas for about $900 bucks. ujoints are under $20 when and if i need to replace from napa. carrier bearings are $69 from jobber. 5000 miles so far no noise. freightliner wanted more for remanufactured unit.

• Thanks
Reactions: MBC

Top Bottom