Venting a Rear A/C High-Top

Simon

I'm wondering about how/what to use for a roof vent for my 04 passenger high top. The rear A/C ducting runs wide and long aft-to-fore (don't hear THAT phrase often!), not leaving much room topside for a standard roof vent.
Has anyone installed a vent off-set from the A/C ducting?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Simon, are you thinking about a fan driven unit or just a vent like a sunroof?

Maybe you can remove the ducting...

It's still pretty efficient at cooling without the ducting.

Or maybe you can cut the ducting back a section so that you have access to the area were a fan vent should go. If you go anywhere other than the area where the fan vent is in the picture above, you may have to deal with the roof ribbing.

Simon

Well Sikwan after all this time I finally did just that; removed the ducting from the rear A/C.
Looking at your sweet set-up, I'm wondering if you custom installed those louvers on the rear A/C unit?
I'm about to install a MaxxFan, but am planning to remove most of the headliner, as it needs a good cleaning. Browsing the forum a bit the situation for removal seems unclear. Would you have to remove the rear A/C completely to take down the headliner?

Also wondering about cutting thru the roof!
Here in SE Alaska this could be risky, since I'm a shade-tree mechanic, without the constant summer sun to make shade....:hmmm:

What kind of blade is best for the roof hole, and how do I ensure the headliner fabric is cut cleanly and centered beneath the hole?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Well Sikwan after all this time I finally did just that; removed the ducting from the rear A/C.
Looking at your sweet set-up, I'm wondering if you custom installed those louvers on the rear A/C unit?
I'm about to install a MaxxFan, but am planning to remove most of the headliner, as it needs a good cleaning. Browsing the forum a bit the situation for removal seems unclear. Would you have to remove the rear A/C completely to take down the headliner?

Also wondering about cutting thru the roof!
Here in SE Alaska this could be risky, since I'm a shade-tree mechanic, without the constant summer sun to make shade....:hmmm:

What kind of blade is best for the roof hole, and how do I ensure the headliner fabric is cut cleanly and centered beneath the hole?
You took 5 years to do it? :crazy: :smirk:

Those louvers are stock. Came with the SCS Frigette system.

At least on my system, which is aftermarket, I will have to remove the A/C to remove the last bit (rearmost) of headliner. Maybe the OEMs you don't have to do that. Only one way to find out and that is to remove the gray cover.

Best blade is the bi-metal type with the most teeth that you can find. If you can find the blade in 1/8" sizes (vs 1/4") get those so that you can make rounded corners.

After you take your roof measurements 10 times, cut the hole, and then install your headliner. Drill a hole is the center of the headliner from the roof side. If you're good, you could probably do it from the inside. Drill a hole in the of the headliner and cut it out little by little to match the roof cut.

Ironically, I just worked on my rear A/C. Apparently, I did put in enough refrigerant early in the install. It would still run, but it was not 100%, but the compressor stayed running.

Top Bottom