Start Error

teamprovan

Well I am back. Yes I am the guy with the new engine that would not run right and it turned out to be bad fuel after a couple weeks of work and more then 80 posts on that thread. Well today I got into what I was thinking would be a minor problem. No dash lights fuse number 10 blown hard short. So I hooked my trusty short finder and started tracing the dasy light wire. goes all over the dash even down to the ash tray. I was not finding it so I hooked up the ash tray because you have to have current to find the short. Well I did not mean to but I pushed in the lighter and bang somthing poped and now I have a start error on the dash. Also my Radio is know apart of the lighter fuse and not on the radio fuse? Any idea's on what the heck just happened.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Very unusual indeed. I suspect if you look behind the lighter in the dash you might find a radio wire has fused to it due to a frayed wire. This may now be a drain on your battery full time, and is affecting the volts available to start, not meeting the minimum volts for starting

teamprovan

I don't see any problems their I took that whole area apart looking for somthing I even unwraped all the wires back their but I see nothing. Could the the fuse block have some cross connections and even the hard short in the dash lights I was looking for? Fuse 15 should be the radio but I can take it out and the radio still plays. I was lifting the gauges off the dash and hit the E Flashers and now the radio goes off when the flashers are on. My god it is like she is falling apart before my eyes. I was so happy to get her running so well after so much trouble I think she is making me pay for giving her bad fuel.

I don't have an idea about the no start. When my dash lights were blowing the fuse it turned out to be a short in the licence plate lights. The wires in the driver rear door came off the lamp holder clips.

teamprovan

Ok, so the problem with the dash lights was that my youngest son had taped the license plate wires together to get the out of the way for painting. The lights work now but we still have the issue that was caused by something I did while trying to find the short. The radio appears to be operating on the lighter circuit, it stays running when the fuse designated for the radio is removed but shuts off with the removal of the lighter fuse. Could using my short finder (pictured) for several hours have caused something to melt and create this issue? Could something in the fuse box be melted together?

Attachments

teamprovan

The DAD is hooked up but we have gone from one instrument panel error and an SRS light on I am asuming that was the short we had and the air bag being off the steering wheel to now having a long list of errors and non communication with Trans and ABS has well as systems that do not even show up any more like ESP, immobilizer Alarm, ESM, Skreem and ATC. We have errors under CDI, air bag and instrument cluster. CAN communication errors are a big part of the errors.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
It's not likely that the ECM got erased by radio wiring.
I would check the steering column fuse panel is pushed up into the steering wheel multifunction switch .
It may fix itself by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting to reset the ECM

teamprovan

Fuse panel is puched up good but I still think the fuse for the interior lights and lighter should not be cross linked some were with the radio power. zzz we will pull the battery and charge on the bench over night.`

312d

this is the electrical scheme, but it is in portuguese (brazil) for non NAFTA sprinters, but i think this maight be the same on your sprinter. W8 earth point is behind the dashboard below the skreem on a chassis bolt, where all the dash earths goes. You can see that is goes to kl 30 terminal that is fused.
the A9 is the stereo connector and the numbers of each wire are in mm square (gauge), the letters are the color code in German. So your lighter should be yellow and red and the Brown one is earth (ground or mass).

subir fotos a internet

Last edited:

teamprovan

Well over night with the batt. out did nothing for us . We still have the Start error nothing changed. My Son is going to post the DAD screen shots but will the DAD Reset things for us some how in its functions.

teamprovan

I was just looking at The SOS web site they give a tip for Sprinter owners (Cool Guys) the number 7 fuse that says Horn is also for the SKREEM Our 7 fuse is blown. Going to replace and update soon. Cross your finger for us.

teamprovan

OK back to good. DAD had no connectiion with CDI and engine fan turned on and had us freaked out but then we cleared all the old error codes and started more scans. bang the radio turned off fan turned off radio came back on and all was fixed. Strangest thing I have ever seen on a car. Thanks for all the help and a shout out to SOS for the free tips on their web site.

Top Bottom