Transmission slipping on 2-3 shift?

cloead

Seems like its one step forward 5 steps back with this van lately...

Was driving around town a few hours ago, went over some harsh train tracks and immediately after came to a stop sign. When I accelerated away it shifted fine from 1st to 2nd but when it went to shift to 3rd it felt like it slipped into neutral and then into third (engine revved up between shifts). I tried shifting manually and it did the same pretty much.

I changed the oil & filter with Shell ATF 134 about 5k miles ago, haven't noticed anything weird before. I checked the level when I got home and it wasn't low or anything. From what I'm reading it sounds like I need a new transmission.. I'm really hoping someone has another idea. Only has ~158k miles on it.

Also.. will I destroy it further if I continue to drive like this? It's not my DD but it does get used on weekends, usually highway drives.

Thanks =/

cloead

Just found this in the manual.. anybody know what the "spring of regulating valve pressure control valve" is?

SILVERSTARTRANS

Silver Star Transmission
This is Susan at Silver Star Transmission. Bob our shop foreman says you probably need a new transmission, but he asks that you call us at 800.369.6601 so he can ask you more questions.

cloead

I believe I spoke with Bob earlier last week and he told me I should get my hands on a real Sprinter scanner to see if there were any trouble codes. I haven't been able to find a dealership with a drb3 close by yet.

I don't know if it could be related but prior to this happening my alternator died while driving, started putting out 11.8 volts. I made it to my destination and made it home fine. When I got home I swapped the alternator with a new Bosch unit and immediately after that is when the transmission started acting up.

biggreen

Just found this in the manual.. anybody know what the "spring of regulating valve pressure control valve" is?

Any resolution with this issue? Mine started slipping between 2-3 yesterday.

Lotta little controls in there... but which one to replace?

AdrianD

2-3 slip is generally caused by a broken F2 sprag.

Shift valves as in shift solenoids? If yes, they can be interchanged.

Last edited:

This is Susan at Silver Star Transmission. Bob our shop foreman says you probably need a new transmission, but he asks that you call us at 800.369.6601 so he can ask you more questions.
Thanks for checking in here. The input and offering of telephone consultation is a big help for the Sprinter-source members. :thumbup:

This comment is in no way meant to slight any of the other professionals and talented people who check in on the Forum. All of you are appreciated too. :thumbup::thumbup:

:cheers: vic

AdrianD

Here's a video with the installation of the Transgo shift kit and the overlap sleeves:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF5DnGwz7E

As for the flare...when mine had the broken F2 sprag, the first 2-3 shift was ok, and then it would start to flare. Downshift was also horrible. If I remember correctly, there were no debris in the pan.

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

I'm just following along to see if anyone has put this "shift kit" in their Sprinter and if it resolved the 2-3 flare...

AdrianD

Yeah yeah yeah, here's the old "shift kit"

The new "shift kit" has all the parts holding together, no more 2-3 flare :D

biggreen

Installed the TransGo kit this weekend and it’s still got the 2-3 flare. :(
Mild improvement, it seems to delay a tad less than previously.
Tested the solenoids and they’re within spec- 4.6 to 4.8 ohms.
Refilled with new Maxlife ATF and fresh filter.
No DTC’s were present in sprintshift.
Full trans rebuild time or are there other ideas?

Last edited:

ohap

I believe I spoke with Bob earlier last week and he told me I should get my hands on a real Sprinter scanner to see if there were any trouble codes. I haven't been able to find a dealership with a drb3 close by yet.

I don't know if it could be related but prior to this happening my alternator died while driving, started putting out 11.8 volts. I made it to my destination and made it home fine. When I got home I swapped the alternator with a new Bosch unit and immediately after that is when the transmission started acting up.

cloead i know this been a few years now but your symptoms are the exact same as mine in 06 Chrysler 300c nag1 , i too changed the alt and then started having issuse with 2-3 flare / slip what ever you want to call it when it shifts from 2 to 3 it revs 500 rpm higher then goes to 3rd . please tell me if you fixed it and how ?? i been to many shops and they just want to sell me a transmission . its been 8 months i been having this issue and it hasnt got worse its always the same . or if any one else knows the solution please help . also one shop in a other state told me maybe a sprag but then a other shop said i wouldnt even be able to drive it if it was a sprag ....

ohap

@cloead i looked at some of your other posts it looks like you just took that transmission out and put a different one in ? crap ... @AdrianD you say shift kit fixed your flare up ? but your photo is of a bad sprag ... im confused

Top Bottom