Help P0340 no cam signal at ECM

How do I trouble shoot this?

Van still runs fine thought seems to have trouble starting.

Can I drive it. Have a road trip this weekend.

How do I trouble shoot this?

Van still runs fine though seems to have trouble starting.

Can I drive it. Have a road trip this weekend.
The cam sensor is required for starting. If that signal is lost once the engine is running then it limits full power, but the engine continues to run. Sometimes the power limit is not noticed so people think the engine continues to run normally after a CPS camshaft position sensor failure, and it basically does so.

Some info is here.

061CamShaftPosCMP.jpg

062CamShaftPosCMPnotes.jpg

063CamShaftPosCMP.jpg

140MaxEngineSpeed.jpg

There is some risk to not addressing the problem. I would remove the CPS, inspect the connections, and, if OK, spray them with WD-40 (or electrical spray of choice) and re-install. (That is basically R&R with some cleaning.)

Good luck.

vic

Thanks Vic. This is great. I will play with my CPS tomorrow and try to find a replacement locally too. Just under the cover towards the rear right?

Got inside this morning and found no latching on the connector! I rally-fixed it with a zip tie then ordered a new sensor in case this was a red herring. Light is out. Fingers crossed. Empire Hill Climb Revival back on the schedule.

Well that didn't go very well.

I thought I'd fixed the issue with the zip tie but the next day, Thursday, the van refused to start outside a client's shop and threw the code again. Fortunately I was in Royal Oak, not far from All European who had a cam sensor in stock for half the price of the one I had ordered so I got a ride over there, popped it in and was back in action.

I think we have it nailed now as the van performed flawlessly on the 500 mile round trip to Empire for the hill climb:

Top Bottom