PDA

View Full Version : Shore power location

terra_firma
09-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Couldnt find a thread directly dealing with "where should i cut the hole" but i will delete this promptly if there is such a thread.

I want to install 2-15amp "inlet" style plugs: one for my honda eu200 which is attached to the hitch via cargo carrier, and a second for supplemental power from whatever house or building i can draw from so are there any good spots in the back area to saw out a hole and pop these babies in?

jmoller99
09-15-2014, 06:28 PM
This is what I have installed.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16855

d_bertko
09-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Campground power posts are usually placed for driver side use.

Why would you need two? 120v power is not very sensitive to a few extra feet of wire.

d_bertko
09-15-2014, 06:51 PM
I installed a single 30a connector on the driver's side. I typically use that with a 15a adaptor if a 30a connection is not available. Typically driveway or genset use for the 15a use.

terra_firma
09-15-2014, 08:03 PM
In response to the 30a vs 15a plugs:

I work on film sets, most of the time of the electricians run me power, all i get is a 15a edison plug

My honda also is a regular plug

All i need power for are appliances that are about 1000-1500w each so one plug is dedicated to the generator, and the 2nd would be for an additional circuit provided from the electricians, or a house, or whatever.

If i had a 30amp plug id have to adapt it probably 100% of the time, and would only be able to pull from one power source wheras with two plugs and circuits i feel like i have more versatility for my job. So i feel its a more additive approach: what do i need today? Just the 1600w from my honda? Or just 15amps from this garage, and save some gas? Or both because im running a sandwich press on one circuit and a coffee maker on the other and wont have to worry about overloading a circuit

Thanks!

wires
09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
because im running a sandwich press on one circuit and a coffee maker on the other and wont have to worry about overloading a circuit

If you go the two circuit route you need to be REAL SURE there is no interconnection between the two! Your generator back feeding another shore power source could kill someone. There is a chance this sort of arrangement, if installed permanently, is a electrical code violation.

For your situation I'd install a 15 or 30 amp shore power connection and connect most of your loads to it. If you need more power and need to use the generator connect loads to it with good quality extension cords. This way it is apparent to anyone that there is NO cross connection between the power sources.