Doktor A's Traveling Circus back home

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
We have returned, intact, from our first annual, Doktor A's Traveling Circus, southern service trip. 2800 miles and approx. 120 gallons of diesel fuel later- the '03 140" Sprinter passenger van performed flawlessly. Front only A/C (std roof van) kept everyone cool in spite of 95 degree Florida sunny days.

Sprinters never cease to amaze me- There are few other vehicles that can provide the vast space, comfort, safety, driving and passenger enjoyment and the fuel economy, of a Sprinter Van.

Escaping this year's cold, dark, damp, bone chilling spring of Pennsylvania was reward enough but the REAL high point of this trip was meeting some great folks in the form of Sprinter owners- Sam and Susan and Eli in their "close to heaven" mountain top retreat in West Virgina, Christopher in Nascar heaven and hell- Charlotte, NC, Jim and Sandy and grandson Nick in Largo Florida, Ron and his wife and office crew in enigmatic Pine Island Florida, Freeman and Lettie and Buddy in gorgeous gulf side Englewood Florida, Carl and Barbara at their very impressive St. Pete business location, and Ed in the coastal low country of South Carolina.

My son kept count of Sprinters spotted along the route and tallied up over 160! Only one private passenger was seen, more than a few RV's, most of the others were hard working work vans and owners.

The emotional low point of the trip was the lack of a successful outcome for Jim's Sprinter surgery. Jim had patiently waited for the broken injector hold down bolt repair to arrive at his door step. All was going well, with Jim as a capable assistant, when a "Murphys moment" struck without warning.

Jim and I had successfully machined out the long broken bolt, had successfully, painstakingly milled the injector bore and injector seal seat in the head, we had finished cutting the treads for the tread insert and were installing the carbon steel insert when the insert installation tool (hard tool steel) suddenly snapped leaving an impossible to machine shard deep, very deep down, where his new hold down bolt needed to reside.

A true- "strike out the blue", Murphy moment. Jim somehow. emotionally, survived this setback but financially is a different story- he had little choice with his work schedule but to replace the head anyway-an expense he was trying to avoid with the Doktor A fix.

This particular custom made insert installation tool had worked flawlessly over 7 times before and upon our return I consulted with the manufacturer and we redesigned the tool with a modified radius at its diameter transition.

Upon our return I received a phone call from a Sprinter owner in Atlanta who had requested a visit for routine maintenance but we could not accommodate in the trip route and schedule.

He had of course waited (until we had returned home) to look under his plastic valve cover and discovered the "Black Death"! Not to be deterred, he promptly drove up to Pittsburgh with his precocious 10 year old navigator, leaving the van here at the shop and flew back home. His '02 118 topped 29 mpg during portions of the trip-despite some fuel (from leaking seat of injector #2) going unburned and coating everything under his cover with sticky diesel shellac.

Sounded fine and performed flawlessly despite the problem.

This particular Sprinter had suffered an injector problem(injector #2) at about 30K and the dealer tech had broken the hold down bolt when removal was attempted.

The resulting warranty repair head replacement took over 2 months and now 50K later, this new head with new injectors is suffering from a leaking injector seat seal at #2! I'll keep you all posted. Doktor A

Last edited:

mobileoilchange

what kind of tool steel was or is the tool made of? A-2,D-2, O-1, S-7 ?? was there not a radius to begin with? was the tool heat treated?

ps. was this for the threaded inserts?

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Great report, Andy. So sorry about the outcome for Jim. Sort of takes a lot of joy out of your trip, doesn't it.

contractor

"Sprinters never cease to amaze me- There are few other vehicles that can provide the vast space, comfort, safety, driving and passenger enjoyment and the fuel economy, of a Sprinter Van".

It is very unfortunate that reliability cannot be added to your above statement.

Thanks for all your service to this forum Andy.

northener

I'm mechanically challenged. Wanting to check the condition of the injectors I removed the 6, 5.5mm allen headed screws and the unit would not come loose. Seemingly held by another screw in the back. Any pointers for me appreciated. paul

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Great report, Andy. So sorry about the outcome for Jim. Sort of takes a lot of joy out of your trip, doesn't it.
It certainly took the joy out of the "Jim portion" of the service trip. We were so close to finishing the fix that Jim could taste victory and especially freedom from that tortuous Ford van he was renting at great expense. I lost a day of income but at the time that sure seemed secondary to Jim's setback.

Not to minimize Jim's disappointment as well as my own- but the grieving period had to end before visiting the next Sprinter owners and I view any failure as a learning and improvement opportunity. Jim's unusual failure has resulted in improved tooling and procedure.

There was a lot of joy left with lots of great people and places still to visit-it was overall, a spectacular trip. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
"Sprinters never cease to amaze me- There are few other vehicles that can provide the vast space, comfort, safety, driving and passenger enjoyment and the fuel economy, of a Sprinter Van".

It is very unfortunate that reliability cannot be added to your above statement.

Thanks for all your service to this forum Andy.
Considering that the Sprinter is a complex high tech vehicle, built and serviced by mere mortals, fed low cetane US diesel fuel of sometimes inconsistent quality, it is quite reliable. The majority of owners I interact with report minor issues and are quite pleased with their Sprinters.

I'm sorry it's without your blessing, but I would like to add "reliability" to my quoted statement above. Odd Freudian omission on my part. Doktor A

mobileoilchange

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what kind of tool steel was or is the tool made of? A-2,D-2, O-1, S-7 ?? was there not a radius to begin with? was the tool heat treated?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I'm mechanically challenged. Wanting to check the condition of the injectors I removed the 6, 5.5mm allen headed screws and the unit would not come loose. Seemingly held by another screw in the back. Any pointers for me appreciated. paul
The bolts are 5mm socket head allen. The Pre '04 Sprinters have 8 securing the cover and the '04-'06 have 6 bolts.

Feel in the far back corners for the 2 corner bolts found on all year Sprinters. The '04-'06 has 2 fewer bolts along center left side of cover to make space for the larger crankcase vent console. Doktor A

BULBASOR

Her Doktor - any advice for those of us with clean injectors whom have no leaks yet? Is there things we can do to prevent the problem?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not intensionally ignoring you. I haven't had time to ask the insert manufacturers engineer your materials question.

This tool application is especially vulnerable because of its slender 6mm diameter installer end. The tool material is very hard because it does double duty-installing the insert and anchoring the insert in place by actually cold rolling the bottom 2 internal treads- to securely lock the insert in the cylinder head threads. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Her Doktor - any advice for those of us with clean injectors whom have no leaks yet? Is there things we can do to prevent the problem?
You can catch this problem in its early stages by checking under the plastic engine cover for any wetness or deposits.

Prevention? One could make an argument for purchasing the highest quality fuel possible, using cetane enhancing additives, avoiding or conservatively using after market engine mods that increase combustion chamber pressures to over stress levels. Doktor A

BULBASOR

Is the RL2 the appropriate chemical?

Also - I have a thought that excessive heat (like running up the engine close to the red) too many times could be a cause because I used to run the old dodge slant six in many of my cars in the 70's I had a duster in high school, a valliant in college and my dad got a Volare in the late 70's - all with slant six. I also got a 64 Dodge Dart as a beater car just 7 years ago that I sold for double what I paid for it. All the slant sixes had the same weakness - if you overheat the engine too many times the head starts to warp and bolts in the head begin to crack and the manifold hold down clamps would seperate and cause exaust leaks and other lousy stuff that could cause a rough idle.

We learned to NEVER let the engine overheat on those long straight line configured motors afte years of slant six purchases.

The fix was simple and cheap - remove head - grind it - put it back on.

I don't think it's going to be that simple with the Sprinter motor.

Is there any way we can get a survey of people with this injector problem to tell us HONESTLY have you every run your engine on the hot side many times? Have you ever run it into the red? Do you regularly run over 220 degrees several times a month?

It might be acedotal but I would sure like to know.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Is the RL2 the appropriate chemical?

Also - I have a thought that excessive heat (like running up the engine close to the red) too many times could be a cause
Is there any way we can get a survey of people with this injector problem to tell us HONESTLY have you every run your engine on the hot side many times? Have you ever run it into the red? Do you regularly run over 220 degrees several times a month?

It might be acedotal but I would sure like to know.
Sorry I am not familiar with that particular product.

Regarding coolant temp over heating as a factor in injector hold down problems-the injector hold down bolts and their aluminum retaining threads (in the aluminum cylinder head) are under high cyclical stress- the injector is inserted directly into the combustion chamber. Late ignition due to use of low cetane number fuel can cause spikes in combustion chamber pressure.

Any abnormal operating conditions which significantly increase combustion chamber pressures are detrimental to the health of the injector hold down hardware.

The key word here is "significant" increases in pressure. Does 20-50 degree higher that normal crusing coolant temp have a significant effect on combustion pressures?

Another somewhat common cause of failure is improper installation of replacement injectors during service repairs. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The bolts are 5mm socket head allen. The Pre '04 Sprinters have 8 securing the cover and the '04-'06 have X bolts.

Feel in the far back corners for the 2 corner bolts found on all year Sprinters. The '04-'06 has X fewer bolts along center left side of cover to make space for the larger crankcase vent console. Doktor A
Correction- I keep quoting an incorrect count on the number of '04-'06 plastic engine cover retaining bolts. The '04-'06 models have 7 bolts. 4 along the right edge and 3 along the left edge. The '02-'03 have 8. Sorry for any confusion. Doktor A

Top Bottom