PDA

View Full Version : sprinter costs

whisky426
05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi, i am a newbie to this forum and i was looking at these sprinters and have a hard figuring out why they are so costly as
it appears that you only get a box van with very little else,what
do you get is a small diesel engine that appears to get reasonably
fuel mileage,but not much else, thank,s whisky426

jdcaples
05-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi whisky426,

Welcome to the forum.

Sprinters are more costly for a number of reasons: Importation from the European Union - and its associated labor costs - the weakness of the US dollar, corporate inefficiencies that consumers subsidize and the list keeps going.

What I received for my money - and this is all subjective - was a safer and more comfortable vehicle to haul gear and supplies I typically carry; and I get to this under my terms, not a rental company's terms.

Was it worth it to me? Yes.

Is the cost of a Sprinter really what you need to know, or are you considering a larger picture?

-Jon

SprinterUSA1
05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Hello whisky,

welcome to this great Forum.
I guess you will have to go back and look at the Sprinter a bit closer. Skip the Price tag and look at the equipment. Yes, it is essentially a Mercedes tin box. You cannot get anything like it on any other full size van available in the US. It is loaded with safety features that may not be apparent at first but are a Piece of mind once you drive the Sprinter. It rides nicely for a commercial hauler. It is quiet, lots of cargo space or ample passenger seating depending what you are after. And yes, it has a "small" engine. It does not tow as much as those gas guzzler V8/V10 but you do not need too. Most of what is being hauled behind the domestic vans fits inside the Sprinter. The rest can be towed easily with the 5000lbs towing capacity of the diesel or gas engine.
You can load the cab with options like you can on most passenger cars these days. Can't do that with the Bow Tie or Blue Oval vans. Some options you are better off without or go after market.

What did you need the van for?

Cheers SprinterUSA1

Jrmorgan
05-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome! If you check out the price of an American nade van, I kind of know Chevy prices, A nice truck will cost you around $35,000. on a gas burner. If you are lucky you might get 100,000 miles. I bought a new 84, when I sold it, it had its second engine, third Trans.:censored:

Look at a Sprinter, around $41,000 new. Has a Diesel. Out the door better fuel mileage. If you read around this form, a lot of owners are up over 150,000 plus with no problems, other that high fuel prices.

I am very happy I have one, I can stand up in the back, carry all my tools, and it rides very well and knock on wood:bash: no problems!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

mobileoilchange
05-31-2008, 11:29 PM
youre paying more also because its made by mercedes benz. its like compairing a ford/chevy car to a mercedes benz car. and also when you have to service or repair the sprinter its also gonna cost you more then it does to repair a american van. another down fall is with the sprinter not much is offered aftermarket,
example:
u-joint are not replaceable when they go bad you must replace the whole drive shaft. (although an outside source was making solutions by offering custom drive shafts with replaceable u-joints. but its still costly)

motor, transmission, driveline parts are not offered aftermarket ie. napa, auto zone, etc.
so they are only dealer only parts, sometimes must be ordered and you have to wait. if you use the sprinter as a daily vehicle or for a business this downtime could not only cost you high parts cost, but also cost your business downtime.

i had a customer blow out a rubber intake boost tube. without turbo boost the sprinter goes from sprinting to limping. it took the dealer a week to figure out the part number of the hose on their parts computer. for some dumb reason the hose shown up as a radiator coolant hose and not a air intake hose. if this hose was offered aftermarket maybe the dowtime would of been less then a week. for as long as the sprinter has been sold in the usa parts offering is low. the only items i buy for the sprinter aftermarket are air filters and oil filters. wix/napa air and oil filters for the sprinter are made in germany and are equal to or better then the oem. plus i get a better cost savings for them then when i buy them from the dealer. the dealer gives me 35% off, napa gives me them 40-50% off. I also use oem, and aftermarket brake pads, but only oem rotors.

im not cutting up the oem, with the oem you know its engineered to work and fits everytime. but the cost and sometimes down time are more then the part is worth.

mobileoilchange
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Welcome! If you check out the price of an American nade van, I kind of know Chevy prices, A nice truck will cost you around $35,000. on a gas burner. If you are lucky you might get 100,000 miles. I bought a new 84, when I sold it, it had its second engine, third Trans.

you cant compair a 1984 vehicle to a 2008 vehicle.
everything in the 80s sucked....hair,clothes,vehicles. the only thing in the 80's id like to have back are my youth and fuel prices:lol:

i see american made gas vehicles go way beyond 100-200000 miles even more on diesel vehicles, its not a big deal anymore. but if you had your 1984 chevy van that is 24 years old, with 24 year old technology everything ages. even your sprinter in 24 years will have problems. they already are today and some are less then 5 years old.

you could buy 2 american made no option gas vans for the price of 1 fully loaded sprinter. but your getting more with the sprinter...room is the main thing.

Jrmorgan
06-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Welcome! If you check out the price of an American nade van, I kind of know Chevy prices, A nice truck will cost you around $35,000. on a gas burner. If you are lucky you might get 100,000 miles. I bought a new 84, when I sold it, it had its second engine, third Trans.

you cant compair a 1984 vehicle to a 2008 vehicle.
everything in the 80s sucked....hair,clothes,vehicles. the only thing in the 80's id like to have back are my youth and fuel prices:lol:

i see american made gas vehicles go way beyond 100-200000 miles even more on diesel vehicles, its not a big deal anymore. but if you had your 1984 chevy van that is 24 years old, with 24 year old technology everything ages. even your sprinter in 24 years will have problems. they already are today and some are less then 5 years old.

you could buy 2 american made no option gas vans for the price of 1 fully loaded sprinter. but your getting more with the sprinter...room is the main thing.

Guess I wasn't clear, mobileoilchange. I bought my 84 for 19,500 out the door. A 06 GMC 1 ton van priced out at 35,000 with out options. The Trans blew up at 45,000. First motor at 69,000. Never drove it hard, and used Mobil 1 after break in. 20,000 grand for full sized American made van? Does that come with a 4 horse team?

:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

mobileoilchange
06-01-2008, 12:40 AM
20k for a chevy van in 1984???? i dont remeber a van costing 20k in 84.

all im saying is in the 80s all vehicles were crappy. same goes for the 70's sounds like you had a monday van.

Jrmorgan
06-01-2008, 12:44 AM
20k for a chevy van in 1984???? i dont remeber a van costing 20k in 84.

all im saying is in the 80s all vehicles were crappy. same goes for the 70's sounds like you had a monday van.

I won't even tell you how many radiators I put in that sucker!

:bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

Nhuskys
06-01-2008, 12:45 AM
If you price a Ford E350 138 cargo van with options that come standard on a Sprinter, the prices start to come together. The combined option of 6.0L Diesel and correct transmission on the Ford is close to $7800 and then things like chrome grille and composite headlights, power windows and door locks, Radio/CD player, sliding side door, traction control and a few other things I'm forgetting. Then if you add an aftermarket high roof to the Ford and do walk through rear doors, your more expensive than a Sprinter. My 144" cargo is so much nicer than my E-350 138" 10' box van and a regular E-350 cargo, just would work as a mobile walk in shop. Payloads are about the same and the E-350 can tow twice as much as the Sprinter.

At first the price seems high compared to blowout stripped Ford and Chevy cargo vans, but when you really start comparing apples to apples, there is little comparison.

I just looked at the Ford Commercial Vehicle site and an Diesel E-350 Cargo van with equipment to match standard Sprinter equipment would list for $38,800. This is about $1400 more than a standard roof 2500. You can get a bigger discount on the Ford than the Sprinter, but it isn't as much van.
Norman

SprinterUSA1
06-01-2008, 12:46 AM
JrMorgan,

I had no idea. I never looked at the "competition". I just Built and Priced an Express. To get it to somewhat compare it to my Sprinter it would cost $35200. Ford is a bit less.
And this would be with low ceiling and crappy seats. No storage anywhere or any of the other convenience features.
I love my Sprinter.

Cheers SprinterUSA1

mobileoilchange
06-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Nhuskys Re: sprinter costs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you price a Ford E350 138 cargo van with options that come standard on a Sprinter, the prices start to come together. The combined option of 6.0L Diesel and correct transmission on the Ford is close to $7800 and then things like chrome grille and composite headlights, power windows and door locks, Radio/CD player, sliding side door, traction control and a few other things I'm forgetting. Then if you add an aftermarket high roof to the Ford and do walk through rear doors, your more expensive than a Sprinter. My 144" cargo is so much nicer than my E-350 138" 10' box van and a regular E-350 cargo, just would work as a mobile walk in shop. Payloads are about the same and the E-350 can tow twice as much as the Sprinter.

At first the price seems high compared to blowout stripped Ford and Chevy cargo vans, but when you really start comparing apples to apples, there is little comparison.

I just looked at the Ford Commercial Vehicle site and an Diesel E-350 Cargo van with equipment to match standard Sprinter equipment would list for $38,800. This is about $1400 more than a standard roof 2500. You can get a bigger discount on the Ford than the Sprinter, but it isn't as much van.
Norman

i have to agree Norman.

but what i cant agree with is the cost JrMorgan paid for his van in 1984. if you paid 20k for a chevy van in 1984 you got ripped. you could of bought a vett or a bmw for 21000 in 1984. even a gm 1500 pick up was 5500-5800 bucks new in 1984.

Nhuskys
06-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I bought a new '85 Ford F250 over 8500 GVW, 300 6, 4 spd, 4.10 rears, stripped for $8100. It seemed like a fortune as my '74 F350 Camper Special 10,000 GVW 360 V8, 4 spd, 4.10 rears and "Super Singles" was $3200 new! I wish I still had that one.
Norman

GregT
06-01-2008, 01:13 AM
On July 17, 2008 my 2008 sprinter 170 Ext is scheduled to arrive. My current daily driver, which I purchased new, is a 2000 Ford E250 supervan with the 5.4L V8. It has 191,000+ miles and still runs like new. Original motor (use Mobil 1 5w/30) and transmission (serviced every 35K), tune up at 110K. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I can only hope that my new Sprinter is as dependable as my Ford. I decided to buy the Sprinter because of the better fuel economy, more interior space, better driving experience, better safety equipment, etc. When comparing the cost of fuel, currently $3.85 gas, $4.85 diesel, Ford 12 mpg, Sprinter 18 mpg, I still will save 19% on my fuel cost. There is talk of the fuel cost bubble bursting and prices dropping. I hope so; otherwise in 2018 I will have a real clean 2008 Sprinter to sell with low mileage. My Harley Davidson gets 45 mpg and now that the weather is good it is getting plenty of use.

Jrmorgan
06-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Nhuskys Re: sprinter costs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but what i cant agree with is the cost JrMorgan paid for his van in 1984. if you paid 20k for a chevy van in 1984 you got ripped. you could of bought a vett or a bmw for 21000 in 1984. even a gm 1500 pick up was 5500-5800 bucks new in 1984.

Did I mention it was fully loaded, except for the crappy 305 engine?

Win some lose some.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Nhuskys
06-01-2008, 01:23 AM
GregT,
I hope your new Sprinter is a keeper! I was a Ford guy for 35 years and my experience with my '98 E350 was similar to yours. I drove it 210,000 pretty much trouble free miles except for broken exhaust manifold stud around 190,000 miles. My '04 which is pretty much the same spec, but has been a nightmare and I gave up before 150,000 miles. I hope my Sprinter is as good as my '98 Ford.
Norman

Are you a Ridge Rider? I'm an IDR member.

mobileoilchange
06-01-2008, 01:34 AM
and people say american vehicles dont go over 100000 miles
i had 2 ford trucks with the 300 inline 6. that was one of the best motors ever built in a gas powered truck.

GregT why did you have to order your 2500 170" extended sprinter? special options? here in toledo we have charlies dodge with over 30-50 sprinters on the lot at all times and in monroe michigan (my town) monroe dodge has 10-20 on the lot at all times

GregT
06-01-2008, 03:18 AM
"GregT why did you have to order your 2500 170" extended sprinter? special options?"

170 EXT Crew Van with lots of options. I plan on keeping the new van for 10+ years so I ordered it the way I like it. If you do a search of my posts you can see the complete option list. I ordered it in late October 2007! MB only has two production runs for the USA market for 170 ext and my order was put in after the first run was already booked-up.

cedarsanctum
06-01-2008, 04:48 AM
"GregT why did you have to order your 2500 170" extended sprinter? special options?"

170 EXT Crew Van with lots of options. I plan on keeping the new van for 10+ years so I ordered it the way I like it. If you do a search of my posts you can see the complete option list. I ordered it in late October 2007! MB only has two production runs for the USA market for 170 ext and my order was put in after the first run was already booked-up.

Wow, that's some wait. We ordered ours in September, got it in early January.

And we are loving it. Got 23 mpg on the last trip. There is no other van on the road that compares at any price.

Jef

mean_in_green
06-01-2008, 04:13 PM
There is no other van on the road that compares at any price.

Yes there are:

The comparison is that they're all vans you wouldn't have bought over your Sprinter!

rvdriverca
06-02-2008, 03:39 AM
I drove for Roberts Expediting ( now part of fed-x) My last van was a 2003 Chev. van express When I retired in 2006 this vehicle had 350k miles on it, and it needed it's first repair, transmission. I than sold it. It's still running around as a camper.

mgjessop
06-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Ford and Chevy Make some pretty awesome V8's... If you take care of them they will last...

floorman
06-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Ihave been running dodge maxi vans for 15 years last one 85 3500 H.D. Igot 275,000 out of the last one ,great van . And not big fan of Mopar products.Made the jump to sprinter ,170 ext.3500.Spent about 12,000-15,000more.Hopeing for the great MPG. NOT .17mpg.but the van is above all that I could ask for in a work wagon.It gets around better then I`d hoped.It drives like a MBZ.:thumbup:

mobileoilchange
06-04-2008, 12:54 AM
floorman Re: sprinter costs

Ihave been running dodge maxi vans for 15 years last one 85 3500 H.D. Igot 275,000 out of the last one ,great van . And not big fan of Mopar products.Made the jump to sprinter ,170 ext.3500.Spent about 12,000-15,000more.Hopeing for the great MPG. NOT .17mpg.but the van is above all that I could ask for in a work wagon.It gets around better then I`d hoped.It drives like a MBZ.

Floorman,
what year of 3500 170" extended do you have?
how many miles are on it?
what is the total payload weight?

im thinking of buying a 2009 3500 170" extended sprinter cargo with high roof, not the mega roof. loaded with all the bells and whisles, minus the rear heat, tie down strips, roof tie downs, and no side or rear glass.

mercedes_sprinter
06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Hello!from Turkey.Can somebody help me ? please:hmmm:

Altered Sprinter
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Can somebody help me ? please:hmmm:
Follow this link Introduce yourself (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59&highlight=introduce) subscribe to each thread you are interested in..scroll down the page and keep going until you see notifications there are options to subscribe or just leave,as is.
Thanks Richard.

BaywoodBill
06-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Can somebody help me ? please:hmmm:

Yes. Welcome to the forum :thumbup: If want to know something about a problem with your Sprinter, put it in writing in one of the lists.

Your Sprinter looks nice. What year is it? What model? How about a picture of the side as well as the front?