Fuel system help please

I am a new forum member who is having trouble with a 1997 T1N which has the 2.9 L engine (not common rail)

Can anyone help me with how the fuel system works please, is there an electric pump in the tank, is there a relay that controls it, does the ECU control the lift pump?

I am having some stupid starting problems (first start of the day in cold weather) that I initially thought were electronic but it looks like it might be fuel run back or lack of supply. It tries to start but has no throttle response until suddenly picking up. I am suspecting that the lift pump is failing to start assuming there is one and could do with knowing the wiring route, electrically and physically,

The only manual I have is a Haynes manual and that is pretty useless.

Any hints on how it is all meant to work will be very welcome.

The ECU is failing to talk to diagnostics which is making it harder to diagnose.

Many thanks

Nick

Dingo

Mornign to you , Real simple
1) change the fuel filter , fill with clean diesel & fit , start & let engine idle for a few minutes to purge any air 2) No there is on pump in the tank , the injection pump draws fuel to it via the filter . so from the tank to pump everything is under vacuum . It is not unusual for the joints to age & leak air causing a similar problem to yours . LAck of revs is most likely low fuel pressure until it either draws enough through filter or it purges any air present . Buy filters from Europarts as they are same makers as MB OEM ones .

Start there & let me know how you get on , but change filter first along with seals . I can go on all day on this subject but not now

Regards

Steve:cheers:

Many thanks Steve. The Haynes manual implied there was a tank mounted pump but there are several engine options covered by that manual and it didn't say which had a pump. Will get a filter Monday

Nick

Dingo

Other things to later look at are A) crap in tank around lift pipe ( tank off job ) B) air leaking around lift pipe joints as above tank off C) pinhole in nylon pipe from tank to filter ( tank off )

Guess what had all this myself , tank off is easy , jack & plywood sheet to support 2x 13mm nuts and lower slowly . With tank off twist lock ring & remove assy . While tank is off replace lift pipe & rubber hose , i bought mine from local hydraulics place BUT DO NOT use jubilee clips only "O" clips ( have ears you crimp ) the nylon line i think is 8mm I.D. & comes in lots of pretty colours , i chose white as you can see any air bubbles travelling around , Our engines can cope with a lage volume of air as they self purge back to the tank . Do not panic if after working on fuel system you see a great deal of air going back to the tank , the return empties into the big white assy . Aquick cure for that is to switch off , grab a brew & start up again , most of the bubbles in your fuel will have gone by then . If you want to eliminate the possibility of tank/ pipe faults , fill fuel can with clean diesel unclip the feed to the filter , there is a black coupling push new pipe into the fitting . Then fit another piece of pipe into the fuel return similar black fitting at back of injection pump & put other end in fuel can , see how it runs then . Right brain is hurting , tea is cooling , see how you get on .Shout out if you need more info

Steve

Many thanks. Will look in the morning. This started after a mechanic had the injection pump off so I suspect the O rings where the fuel pipe goes into the injection pump.

I am guessing there are O rings on that pipe joint anyway?

Will report back with how it goes.

Nick

Top Bottom