Engine Oil Consumption

mustangcrazy90

I felt it was time to post on this topic. I've had a few owners complain about the engine using oil. Maybe a quart every 1000 miles or so. Sorry to say but it is normal. I'm sure everyone has read their owners manual :D: but incase not here it is.

The vehicle consumes a maximum of
1 US qt (1.0 l) oil per 620 miles
(1000 km), depending on your driving
style.
Engine oil consumption may even be
higher if:
 the vehicle is new
 you mainly operate the vehicle under
arduous operating conditions
 you often drive at high engine
speeds
The engine oil consumption can only be
judged after a lengthy distance has been
covered.

Ok well it didnt' come out the way I wanted but read pages 322 and on in a 2008 owners manual. Also this is in the 2007 ownders manual under a different page. I had a gentleman say he use 4 quarts in 7,500 miles. I said ok and whats your complaint. He said its using way to much oil. I said well you may think but this is well within the limits provided by Mercedes Benz. Number one he had low miles on it, 10,000 to be exact and number 2 it is a diesel under high compression and with a crankcase ventilation system that allows some oil to be introduced into the turbo plumbing this being burnt in the engine. It is NORMAL! I proceded to ask him how he is checking his oil level. He told me when it was cold. I said no you are wrong. You must bring the engine up to operating temperature. Then shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then check the oil. It should be near the top red mark on your dipstick. The difference between the 2 red marks is 2 quarts or 2 liters roughly. If you check it cold it will be near the bottom all the time if you have put the proper oil amount in from the beginning. So yes maybe he thinks he is using a lot of oil because checking it cold it will be near the bottom of the dipstick. A red dipstick means a hot check dipstick. ALso until the rings on the pistons get seated properly, there will be some oil consumption with low miles on the vehicle. Just as fuel mileage will increase some once the engine is broken in.
Ok before I bore you to death just a little friendly advice that all owners of a diesel engine sprinter 2007-2008 should know!:rad:

Nhuskys

Thanks for the info. I was just about to ask this question, as I'm about 1200 miles and was wondereing about oil consumption. What oil should I add in the breakin period?
Norman

mobileoilchange

im sorry but i disagree
if youre using 1 quart of oil per 620 miles thats excessive. so in the 10000 mile oil change MB recommends thats 16 quarts of oil in all.

if thats the case then there is no reason to change the oil, just keep adding it since youre replenishing the oil and just change the filter. this is what roadway does. instead of changing the oil, a small quanty of oil is plumbed into the fuel tank as the truck is driven and the driver/mechanic just adds oil when needed and changes the filter.

I have a customer with a 2007 chevy c5500 stake bed truck with a 8.1L and it holds a total of 10 quarts of oil. GM says its normal to use 1 quart for every 800-1000 miles. in 3000 miles its always 3-4 quarts low.

MB saying this about the sprinter is inefficient when youre using 1 quart of oil in 620 miles.
the medium and heavy duty trucks i service dont even use 1 quart of oil in 1000 miles, unless its a leaker. some have international dt466, cummins 5.9, isb, cats, Mercedes benz 900.
i just think MB saying that the sprinter using 1 quart of oil in 620 miles is crazy. just when i though GM was crazy for saying the 8.1L using a quart every 800-1000 miles.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Mustangcrazy90, thanks for the info! I'm really glad you're participating.

Here's data point: I was ready for that kind of consumption since I read the owners manual before I ordered my Sprinter.

At nearly 5800 miles, I'm still on the factory fill with no discernable loss according to my reading of the dipstick and the dashboard "oil level" confirms my dipstick interpretation by reporting "ok."

Could oil consumption be a function of driving style?

I mean, for me, you can count the number of seconds my engine's spent at 3000 rpm (or more) on one hand.

-Jon

SkyPup

I have a fully loaded '08 Navion RV and pull my race trailer behind it (3,500 pounds) and normally cruise about 65mph on long trips. I had to add one quart at 2,000 miles and am now at 8,000 miles on the odometer and have not used another drop. I normally manually shift at about 2,800rpms when pulling the fully loaded trailer.

Will be changing it next week for the first time (8,000 miles) as I have a 3,000 mile round trip to Road America in Elkart Lake, Wisconsin for a National Road Race pulling my race trailer.

My close friend also has an '08 Navion and she does not do any mechanical service. I added two quarts to her crankcase at 2,500 miles and she is now at 7,500 miles without consuming another drop.

For this kind of heavy duty service under extreme load, I consider this excellent oil consumption. Now if it only can be as good as our two VW TDIs that still consume NO OIL whatsoever with 10,000 mile change outs and 150,000 miles on the odometer.....we shall see!:D:

mobileoilchange

unimog Re: Engine Oil Consumption

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just added one quart at 6 000 miles

i agree with this. 1 quart for 4000-6000 miles.

but not the 1 quart per 620 miles. thats just nuts for any kind of vehicle.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Ok before I bore you to death just a little friendly advice that all owners of a diesel engine sprinter 2007-2008 should know!:rad:
Thanks Mustang. This happened to my T1N too. Thought I added too little when my low light came on way before the 20k oil change.

mustangcrazy90

unimog Re: Engine Oil Consumption

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just added one quart at 6 000 miles

i agree with this. 1 quart for 4000-6000 miles.

but not the 1 quart per 620 miles. thats just nuts for any kind of vehicle.

No kidding it sounds nuts. I'm jsut stating what a dealership will tell you. I dont design the engine I dont care about who designs it. I've seen people claim they use a lot of oil but if you ask them how they check the oil level, it says it all. I have not seen or been told about someones complaint on oil consumption but TWICE. I see sprinters all day long, never have I had one that said low oil on the dash. SO yes there are numerous sprinters that haven't consumed it which is great. If you dont like what I wrote then too bad but i'm stating it so those who drive it know what kinda trouble they will be given at the dealer if they say they want an engine or rebuild it because i consume oil. Mercedes adn dodge will say too bad 1 quart at 1,000 miles no biggie. I dont work for mercedes i just fix what comes in the door. I try to help people in the dealership, customers, with questions and concerns but quite frankly I dont know why I do because I dont get any credit for it. SO if I can help or assist anyone it might as well be online. I dont claim to know it all, I just state what I see and what I've done.

mobileoilchange

mustang relax.
im not jumpping your azz.
im just saying i disagree with what is being said by MB and or DODGE.

mobileoilchange Re: Engine Oil Consumption

im sorry but i disagree
if youre using 1 quart of oil per 620 miles thats excessive. so in the 10000 mile oil change MB recommends thats 16 quarts of oil in all.

if thats the case then there is no reason to change the oil, just keep adding it since youre replenishing the oil and just change the filter. this is what roadway does. instead of changing the oil, a small quanty of oil is plumbed into the fuel tank as the truck is driven and the driver/mechanic just adds oil when needed and changes the filter.

I have a customer with a 2007 chevy c5500 stake bed truck with a 8.1L and it holds a total of 10 quarts of oil. GM says its normal to use 1 quart for every 800-1000 miles. in 3000 miles its always 3-4 quarts low.

MB saying this about the sprinter is inefficient when youre using 1 quart of oil in 620 miles.
the medium and heavy duty trucks i service dont even use 1 quart of oil in 1000 miles, unless its a leaker. some have international dt466, cummins 5.9, isb, cats, Mercedes benz 900.
i just think MB saying that the sprinter using 1 quart of oil in 620 miles is crazy. just when i though GM was crazy for saying the 8.1L using a quart every 800-1000 miles.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I dont work for mercedes i just fix what comes in the door. I try to help people in the dealership, customers, with questions and concerns but quite frankly I dont know why I do because I dont get any credit for it. SO if I can help or assist anyone it might as well be online. I dont claim to know it all, I just state what I see and what I've done.

Just so you know, I find your postings - and the effort you put into them - extremely valuable.

I'm not sure why you continue to be helpful at the dealership when you don't get any credit for it, but I think you should get something for going beyond what the company expects you to do.

Anyway, thanks for typing and sharing your insight.

-Jon

mgjessop

I have a 2005 3500 158, I use about 1qt of oil every 10,000-12,000 miles... Heck I even have 150k on the dial... The more miles I put on the less oil I burn...:hmmm: At That rate you would really never have to worry about a oil change, just keep her topped off... If that is really the case, how is that good for emission's? I wonder if uses oil when regenerating the DPF?:thinking:

Top Bottom