Rusted away 6 inches of lower front door

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

2000 208 CDi MWB Bus & 2005 313 CDi 4mWB Crew Van
The lower panel, about 6 inches, of my near side front door has rusted away :cry:

Are there any posts dealing with this as I can't find them if there are :idunno:

It would be good if there were a repair/replacement panel available and someone could tell me where I can source one, or any other advice preferably from experience :bow:

flman

LOL, I just bent up some galvanized sheet metal today and put it on the lower passenger door with pop rivets, we are going to prime and paint it and call it done.

I did not do pics but, you need a method to bend it, I cut it 3" longer then the door, and the height I needed, then I bent the bottom to a 90, fit it to the door and marked out the 2 sides with a sharpie. Cut the 2 sides off leaving an inch, bent every thing to 180 and be sure to cut 45 degrees out of each corner bend. Slid it on the door, pounded into place with a rubber mallet, and pop riveted to the top.

I had another thread about replacement panels, but they look like a lot more work.

Here is a source I found: http://www.rustrepair.com/PANELS/DODGE-03-SPRINTER-VAN-BODY-PANELS.HTM

flman

PS, see you are in the UK, a Google search like this brought a lot of hits: sprinter lower door repair skins

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

Thanks I googled but with the word panel not skins

Gonna get this done by someone as it's not my thing what should I pay?

Last edited:

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

Replacement Lower Door Skins are now available on various websites including the auction one! They are cheap and easy to stick on too.

problem solved!

Replacement Lower Door Skins are now available on various websites including the auction one! They are cheap and easy to stick on too.

problem solved!
Did you just pop rivet or otherwise attach the panel, or do the entire fit, weld, body filler repair?

I ask because sometimes the replacement panels/skins won't easily fit over the existing metal.

LOL, I just bent up some galvanized sheet metal today and put it on the lower passenger door with pop rivets, we are going to prime and paint it and call it done.

I did not do pics but, ...
I did the same on my rear and side doors. Some pics are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35884

vic

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

The replacement skin fitted like a glove. No pop rivets just the regular automotive black glue bonding stuff. Obviously it sticks out by a couple millimetres now but the sheer convenience and low cost more than compensate for lack of professional finish.
This has cost me under £20 and under 30 minutes.
Everyone I got quotes from before doing this wanted to charge a lot and most seemed fixated on changing the whole door!

Top Bottom