PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone removed Fuel Rail Solenoid ?

NelsonSprinter
08-15-2014, 11:37 PM
I want to replace the O-rings on my 612 engine's fuel rail solenoid but cannot find info in any manual on how to do that exactly, some posts suggest removing 2 banjo bolt set screws, (where are they located?) and other say unscrew solenoid from end. Did you have to remove fuel rail and intake manifold?
Specific steps instructions wanted from someone who has done it on a 2002-2003 fuel rail solenoid at the rear of the HP fuel rail.

Missouri Blue
08-16-2014, 12:43 AM
I've removed and reinstalled the solenoid on the rear of the fuel rail 5 times. (I was trying to figure out a fuel supply problem... which ended up being the HP fuel pump) It is not a hard job as long as you don't mind being hunched over with both your arms stretched out to the rear of the engine.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE FUEL RAIL.

The two bolts that hold the solenoid on are size 8 E-torx. You can see the bolts and the solenoid by using a mirror and flashlight. There is not a lot of clearance so a small 1/4" ratchet and socket is needed (or a small crescent wrench). Once you remove the the two bolts (I would remove the driver's side first since it has less clearance for removal) then you can turn the solenoid back and forth and pull straight back to remove the solenoid. Make sure you pull straight back because the end of the solenoid could break off. When you put the solenoid back on getting the bolt on the driver's side started can be tricky since there is not much room for fingers. I put a little putty in the end of my socket and stuck the bolt in the socket and started it that way. If a bolt falls, which I hope it doesn't, and doesn't make it to the ground there is path to the top of the starter... that is where I had a bolt land and it took me a long time to find.

If this is not clear please ask further questions.

surlyoldbill
08-16-2014, 02:10 AM
^^^ditto

I took mine off many years ago and forgot all the intricacies. I think I loosened at least one of the bolts from under the van, because I could see what I was doing better.

NelsonSprinter
08-16-2014, 08:36 PM
I Finally looked at solenoid with a phone camera, now I see there are 2 star/Etorx bolts and some hoses to remove, very difficult location to work.

surlyoldbill
08-16-2014, 09:43 PM
reading the procedure in the manual is always a good start.

Aqua Puttana
08-17-2014, 02:53 AM
reading the procedure in the manual is always a good start.
:thumbup:

When all else fails read the instructions.

The first headlamp I changed on my 1994 Dodge B250 full sized van was in a parking lot in Georgia at 2:00 a.m. or so. It was a real pain. I complained to my wife that I couldn't believe that they didn't give more clearance for a lamp change. Then while looking for something else in the manual I stumbled across the instructions for changing the headlamps. Turns out there are two clips which are released to remove the entire headlamp pod so that changing the lamp is quite easy.

If only I had referenced the manual before my first headlamp change... :bash:

:cheers: vic

Missouri Blue
08-17-2014, 03:21 AM
No hoses to remove... just the electrical connector. I haven't checked the manual, but it is possible that it suggests removing the whole fuel rail (manifold, etc.). Know that the solenoid can be removed with a little dexterity and patience without removing any other part.