PDA

View Full Version : Jalama Beach

LetsGo
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Trip to Jalama Beach, North Santa Barbara County. Perfect get a way for surfing, fishing, dogs and r&r

LetsGo
08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Road down to beach

LetsGo
08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Plenty of room to roam, even for our Lab

LetsGo
08-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Leaving On a nice evening, and looking forward in coming back for more.

chromisdesigns
08-13-2014, 04:47 AM
Beautiful spot -- did you get one of the Famous Burgers at the café/store?

hayduke
08-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks.Never heard of this one.Always went to Refugio
Are dogs allowed to run off leash legally?
I see there is an extra charge of $3 per dog?(we have 3)

Gordon Smith
08-13-2014, 12:43 PM
What's the camping like there? Are you parked on soft sand with other camping sites right next to you? Always wanted to head up there; your photos are giving me the impetus to go. But, I have a 6 ton, 24' RV. Any additional info appreciated.

chromisdesigns
08-13-2014, 01:47 PM
What's the camping like there? Are you parked on soft sand with other camping sites right next to you? Always wanted to head up there; your photos are giving me the impetus to go. But, I have a 6 ton, 24' RV. Any additional info appreciated.

RV sites are all paved -- there are two "tiers" carved out of the hillside facing the ocean, that have the best views. There are more RV sites on the beach-level pavement, more like a parking lot. We camped in one of the walk-up sites on the top tier, beautiful.

https://www.countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles/parks/Camping_Parks/Jalama_Beach/JalamaMap2.pdf

pattonsr
08-13-2014, 02:59 PM
It is hard to see the two "tiers" carved out of the hillside facing the ocean. Can you give a site number to identify each tier?

LetsGo
08-13-2014, 03:02 PM
There are spots on the sand and there are tiered elevated spots with amazing views. We stay beachfront. They do charge a small fee for dogs, and have a sign that they must be on a 6'leash. However, it's not enforced as soon as you head up the beach in either direction. There were plenary of other friendly dogs that showed up over the last couple days, all roaming the water and beaches. Everyone was good about making sure they all got along, and all were good about picking up after their dogs. The small general store is the best. Fair pricing for common items you may have forgotten or run out of. Not overpriced/marked up like typical vacation locations. The famous Jalama Burger is not to be missed! It is the Best!

LetsGo
08-13-2014, 03:03 PM
There are spots on the sand and there are tiered elevated spots with amazing views. We stay beachfront. They do charge a small fee for dogs, and have a sign that they must be on a 6'leash. However, it's not enforced as soon as you head up the beach in either direction. There were plenty of other friendly dogs that showed up over the last couple days, all roaming the water and beaches. Everyone was good about making sure they all got along, and all were good about picking up after their dogs. The small general store is the best. Fair pricing for common items you may have forgotten or run out of. Not overpriced/marked up like typical vacation locations. The famous Jalama Burger is not to be missed! It is the Best!

LetsGo
08-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Gordon, the elevated sites are paved, some with full hookups, some without. You can get information on each spot and make reservations online. This beach is run by Santa Barbara County, and not the State. The best times of year to visit are September and October.

iceshaver
08-23-2014, 06:30 PM
The leash requirement is absolutely enforced by park rangers. They fine people every day. Jalama's rangers are no nonsense guys. Please be a responsible pet owner and obey the law so that everyone can enjoy the beach safely and peacefully. Jalama is for people first. It's not a dog park.

LetsGo
08-25-2014, 04:45 AM
Have to disagree. The leash requirement is only enforced within the confines of the parking area. I have been staying there for years. Everyone is very responsible for their dogs, but they run freely both north and south of the parking area. This past week there were countless dogs swimming and playing without leashes without comment from Rangers/lifeguards.

mjdwyer23
09-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Great info here, I think we're going to go in October for a long weekend. So, 88-97 and 105-117 have the good view? Which sites would be best for a 2 year old (human)?

LetsGo
09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Had another epic weekend at Jalama. Spot 82 this time. An elevated site with a great view. It's a different setting than being directly on the sand, but really nice regardless.

LetsGo
09-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Warm night sleeping with doors open. Better view than any hotel could offer.

LetsGo
09-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Dogs were friendly and so were the people....with room to roam, what's there not to be happy about

mjdwyer23
09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Amazing! Can't wait to get there in october!