2003 sprinter 316 4x4 larger wheels

emlclcy

I'd like to put 16" steel wheels on my sprinter. I've looked around and not found any, I didn't want to bling it up putting alloys on!
The plan is to put slightly larger diameter Goodrich AT tyres on (I know it will raise the gearing but it is used as a camper so doesn't carry much weight)
cheers
carl

sailquik

emlclcy,
Where are you located?
Probably not in North America as there are no 2003 Sprinter 4x4's here that we know of.
Does your 4x4 have 5 lug bolts.......or 6 lug studs in the hubs?
Send me your VIN # and a valid return email address and I will send you your Sprinter's factory
OEM build data card and possibly what the wheel options are, but the VIN # is needed to accomplish this.
Roger

Eric Experience

Carl.
The fiat Ducato wheels have the correct bolt pattern load rating and offset but the centre hole is slightly smaller, a simple job to bore them out to suit MB. Eric

emlclcy

Carl.
The fiat Ducato wheels have the correct bolt pattern load rating and offset but the centre hole is slightly smaller, a simple job to bore them out to suit MB. Eric
nice one Eric! They have a 6" rim width, I wonder if they do a 7" version, will do some homework...
does a ford transit have the same PCD offset do you know?
cheers
carl

emlclcy

nice one Eric! They have a 6" rim width, I wonder if they do a 7" version, will do some homework...
does a ford transit have the same PCD offset do you know?
cheers
carl
tranisit no different, thinking of simple ways to machine the centres of 5 wheels, maybe part of the stub axle that holds the wheel held in a lathe 4 jaw then slip on wheel machine away. my lathes to small!

Eric Experience

Carl.
Swinging a big wheel in a lathe is bit risky, Much better to to use a mill and fly cutter. Just get someone who knows how to centre the wheel accurately. Eric

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Carl.
Swinging a big wheel in a lathe is bit risky, Much better to to use a mill and fly cutter. Just get someone who knows how to centre the wheel accurately. Eric

Fwiw, I've opened the bore on several wheels on a mill and I'm far from an expert at it, hardly even a hobbyist! :lol: So any decent machine shop should be able to whip them out pretty quickly.:thumbup:

emlclcy

Fwiw, I've opened the bore on several wheels on a mill and I'm far from an expert at it, hardly even a hobbyist! :lol: So any decent machine shop should be able to whip them out pretty quickly.:thumbup:
putting the machining aspect to one side for a moment do you know of any 16" 6.5 or 7J steel wheels?
really want to give it a chunky look
carl

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
putting the machining aspect to one side for a moment do you know of any 16" 6.5 or 7J steel wheels?
really want to give it a chunky look
carl
Just do a Google search and I'm sure you can find a shop near your that will widen the wheels for you. It's done all the time here, mostly on classic car wheels to keep the classic wheel look, just wider.

or is a 5stud to 6 stud adapter available? more options with the 6 stud sprinters

Well, if you have singles in the 5 hole they are just 5x130 which is a Porsche stud pattern. So lots of options.,

emlclcy

Just do a Google search and I'm sure you can find a shop near your that will widen the wheels for you. It's done all the time here, mostly on classic car wheels to keep the classic wheel look, just wider.
QUOTE]

good call thanks!
trying to find a source for discounted merc parts as I've decided to use merc steel wheels

bumpydog

I have 245/75R16 BFG AT's on my 2002 316CDi (ex 311CDi) but there were some mods needed to the arches to avoid rubbing. I had the same (although MT's) diameter on an earlier 312D, which also needed some judicious snipping. There are some photos at www.sprinter4x4.com (although the site hasn't been updated in yonks!

Top Bottom